GDT: World Junior Championships

dudacek

Great hockey game.  Both these teams went hard.

Not sure how the brackets are set, always thought the home nation gets a lot of input there, but Canada IMHO got no favors in only having Finland in its bracket out of the "big 6."

Would be very surprised if the brackets aren't shuffled and come out more even next year.  The US got a wake up call out of the gate & reacted well.  Canada turned the competition level up each game, but only sporadically kept up w/ the US in the 1st 2 periods, again IMHO.

But it was really good to get 2 weeks worth of very good hockey.  Now, 8 days left to the real stuff.

Edited by Taro T
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You didn't like Cozens because he was kept to the perimeter and had no space. The checking of USA was great. Btw I agree about Cozens, I didn't love this game for him. 

Agreed. The US was all over him at every opportunity. It was a great game plan by them; Cozens was not going to beat them. Whenever he got the puck inside his own blue line, he got pinched by the defenseman and gave up the puck -- it was like watching it on repeat. Good thing he's coming to Buffalo where he can be just-a-guy for awhile.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Not sure how the brackets are set, always thought the home nation gets a lot of input there, but Canada IMHO got no favors in only having Finland in its bracket out of the "big 6."

Would be very surprised if the brackets aren't shuffled and come out more even next year.  The US got a awake up call out of the gate & reacted well.  Canada turned the competition level up each game, but only sporadically kept up w/ the US in the 1st 2 periods, again IMHO.

But it was really good to get 2 weeks worth of very good hockey.  Now, 8 days left to the real stuff.

They announced next year's brackets in the second period, I think.  I don't remember what they are.  But they already are determined.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Not sure how the brackets are set, always thought the hone nation gets a lot of input there, but Canada IMHO got no favors in only having Finland in its bracket out of the "big 6."

Would be very surprised if the brackets aren't shuffled and come out more even next year.  The US got a awake up call out of the gate & reacted well.  Canada turned the competition level up each game, but only sporadically kept up w/ the US in the 1st 2 periods, again IMHO.

Brackets are set by order of finish the year before.  USA will be top seed in group A and Canada group B.  Finland to group B and Russia to group A. The rest I’m not 100% sure .

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They announced next year's brackets in the second period, I think.  I don't remember what they are.  But they already are determined.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Brackets are set by order of finish the year before.  USA will be top seed in group A and Canada group B.  Finland to group B and Russia to group A. The rest I’m not 100% sure .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Would be very surprised if the brackets aren't shuffled and come out more even next year.  The US got a wake up call out of the gate & reacted well.  Canada turned the competition level up each game, but only sporadically kept up w/ the US in the 1st 2 periods, again IMHO.

Brackets are based on the finish the previous year 1,4,5,8,9 and 2,3,6,7,10

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Agreed. The US was all over him at every opportunity. It was a great game plan by them; Cozens was not going to beat them. Whenever he got the puck inside his own blue line, he got pinched by the defenseman and gave up the puck -- it was like watching it on repeat. Good thing he's coming to Buffalo where he can be just-a-guy for awhile.

Well, except for that 1 rush late in the 2nd he created that Byram beat Knight but put the puck off the post.  Would've made the 3rd that much scarier.

Crazy fast game. Crazy fast.

U.S. full value for their win. They out skated and  outplayed Canada for most of the game.  Still think Canada had the better team and in a 7 games series it might be a different winner but hats off to the U.S. they earned this win.

Can't believe both those goalies belong to Florida! 

It's possible Cozens will have trouble with this level of speed. He definitely rushed his chances and seemed slightly out of his previous dominant element. Still, not going to dump on him with one game. Guy is still a definite Sabre imo. Johnson, in time, might be a better prospect than Quinn, but again, Quinn still has time to develop as well. 

We had 2 guys in the top 10 scorers for the tournament, and one of the first team all stars so nothing to complain about. 

Congrats to USA hockey.

They executed a great game plan.

Zegras was only a factor in one period but it was enough. Knight was great. Canada only played well in the third and Knight was solid.

Canada succumbed to the pressure, they were squeezing their sticks way too tightly and got derailed. Simple passes were in the feet or behind the receiver, board work was weak and their D looked out of sorts. Cozens’ game was his worst in two years at this tournament. I hope he learns from this and moves on. Quinn had some chances to make a difference but did not deliver. Johnson was OK and did his job well.

This tournament has most of my attention every year and now it’s over. Time to shift into Sabres’ hockey mode. Let’s go Buffalo!

Again, congratulations to USA hockey and see you next year.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Congrats to USA hockey.

They executed a great game plan.

Zegras was only a factor in one period but it was enough. Knight was great. Canada only played well in the third and Knight was solid.

Canada succumbed to the pressure, they were squeezing their sticks way too tightly and got derailed. Simple passes were in the feet or behind the receiver, board work was weak and their D looked out of sorts. Cozens’ game was his worst in two years at this tournament. I hope he learns from this and moves on. Quinn had some chances to make a difference but did not deliver. Johnson was OK and did his job well.

This tournament has most of my attention every year and now it’s over. Time to shift into Sabres’ hockey mode. Let’s go Buffalo!

Again, congratulations to USA hockey and see you next year.

Canada's passing was atrocious for a championship game.  The guys definitely looked fatigued in the 3rd period and the US team's defensive game plan was executed well.  

Cozen's game wasn't great but he still had an excellent U20 tournament.  I'm excited to see what he looks like with NHL linemates.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So the Russians can't make the Canadian team, but they smoke the Americans, who shut out Canadians? 

Would've been interesting to see how that game turns out differently had it not been the US team's 1st game.  Didn't get to watch it (hadn't realized the start date was moved up from Bixing Day) but it sounded like Knight had a Johansson-esque game.  He was darn near unbeatable after that & the backup was no slouch either.

23 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Canada's passing was atrocious for a championship game.  The guys definitely looked fatigued in the 3rd period and the US team's defensive game plan was executed well.  

Cozen's game wasn't great but he still had an excellent U20 tournament.  I'm excited to see what he looks like with NHL linemates.  

It wasn't great, but in fairness, they hadn't faced a team taking away space like that all tournament.  The draw did them no favors.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He got hit. 

I thought it was his lazy play that allowed the hit.

I thought Johnson looked really good.

I don’t think Cozen’s game was as bad as others. He had a nice setup that rang off the pipe and a couple of nice drives to the dirty area to get a shot off. Hockey can be really cruel that way.

I think Canada had way more individual talent, but the US played a pretty amazing team game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.