GDT: World Junior Championships

dudacek

Just now, bunomatic said:

Final score ? How were the Sabres boys ?

1-0 Canada.

Cozens was OK. Quinn looked good. Their line was dominant possession wise but Dach was a big factor in that.

Quinn made some nice steals, channeling his inner Mark Stone. He was positionally sound and looked like he belonged. Good first game for him at the national level. Late bloomer has never played for Hockey Canada before. Nice debut.

Cozens was the go to guy on D-zone face offs in the last minute, like he was last year. He won one and lost one. He didn’t get any room to showcase his speed but used his body a few times to protect the puck. I expected more but these guys have not played since March so they need some slack.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, French Collection said:

1-0 Canada.

Cozens was OK. Quinn looked good. Their line was dominant possession wise but Dach was a big factor in that.

Quinn made some nice steals, channeling his inner Mark Stone. He was positionally sound and looked like he belonged. Good first game for him at the national level. Late bloomer has never played for Hockey Canada before. Nice debut.

Cozens was the go to guy on D-zone face offs in the last minute, like he was last year. He won one and lost one. He didn’t get any room to showcase his speed but used his body a few times to protect the puck. I expected more but these guys have not played since March so they need some slack.

This is what I saw too.

I’ll add that any disappointment in Cozens was on offence; he made some bad decisions and passes. Defensively, he was strong. He remains hard on the puck with a  good motor. That said his possession game was excellent and he probably had Canada’s best scoring chance, streaking in late off the bench, where he shot high.

I thought Cozens and Dach both were guilty of wanting to do too much on their own instead of letting the puck do the work for them. Quinn looked much more in tune with a give and go or a cycle game, but as a line they looked like they were still developing chemistry. Despite this, they consistently pinned the 2nd best team in the tourney in its own zone. Once they click, they  look like they will eat weaker defencemen alive.

(Another guy the oldsters might appreciate as a Quinn comparison is Steve Larmer.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Goalies were very good for both teams.

Prior to Dach being injured I thought the Dach, Cozens, Quinn line was Canada's best by far. Dach was the best of the three for sure, but Cozens was really strong along the boards and made some good plays. Cozens lost a lot of face off though, so maybe good if the plan is to start him on the wing.  Quinn was the weaker of the three and didn't stand out much imo. Overall, they show potential. 

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Goalies were very good for both teams.

Prior to Dach being injured I thought the Dach, Cozens, Quinn line was Canada's best by far. Dach was the best of the three for sure, but Cozens was really strong along the boards and made some good plays. Cozens lost a lot of face off though, so maybe good if the plan is to start him on the wing.  Quinn was the weaker of the three and didn't stand out much imo. Overall, they show potential. 

It just clicked with me why we disagree so vehemently on Reinhart.

I tend to watch a game as a series of odd-man situations created and prevented, you tend to watch it a series of 1-on-1 encounters won and lost.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I thought Dylan Holloway was the weakest player for Canada.

Not a strong showing if you ask me. Too bad it is the only exhibitin game. Guhle on D was the worst on the ice for me. If that's the best footwork he has, how the hell did he make the team? Almost like the game was too fast for him. Also, he was 0 for 4 on zone exits and 0 for 1 on zone entries.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

It just clicked with me why we disagree so vehemently on Reinhart.

I tend to watch a game as a series of odd-man situations created and prevented, you tend to watch it a series of 1-on-1 encounters won and lost.

To some extent that is probably true. In the case of this game I was really only watching Cozens and Quinn as it was just an exhibition game so for this one it's definitely true. 

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

UKirby Dach out for tournament with broken arm according to hockey feed. Ouch that hurts.

When I saw it I thought immediately it might be a buckle fracture.  My son had almost the same type of encounter when he was 12.  Open ice hit where the hand hits at a the perfect angle and jams up into the arm causing a small fracture.

His could be worse, but man it looked so much like his hit that I thought it could be.  It's bad news, no doubt.

• Sad 1

Suzuki, Mercer and Tomasino have been the low men on the totem, so one of them will be elevated, but I'm not sure that any fit in Dach's spot.

The "easiest" guy to move in there if they don't want to disrupt the lineup much would be Connor Zary.

The "right" guy in terms of loading up the first line would be elevating Byfield (who was excellent last night) from the 4th.

7 minutes ago, freester said:

Not according to Pronman 

They showed a graphic of him playing lw on the third line. Guess we'll find out.

Edit:Screenshot_20201225-185252_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6211b13cffc33086ffae0890d2a1e115.jpg

Then there is this tweet:

So I guess we'll find out soon.

Edited by ubkev

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.