Mitts signed to a one year contract for $874k

I-90 W

15 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Is that amount the qualifying amount The sabres originally offered or did they end up paying more?

I think the same?

Casey's salary last year was $832,00 and his qualifier was 105 per cent of what he made last year.

That said, with bonuses, Capfriendly says his total salary was $925,000 and his AAV was a shade under $1.5 million.

I'm not sure what that means exactly. @Taro Tperhaps?

Because Casey is considered to be in the minors, this contract does not affect our cap at all. Still have about $3.5 million in space, with a 12-forward, 7-defenceman roster that does not include Cozens at a shade under $900,000.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the same?

Casey's salary last year was $832,00 and his qualifier was 105 per cent of what he made last year.

That said, with bonuses, Capfriendly says his total salary was $925,000 and his AAV was a shade under $1.5 million.

Because Casey is considered to be in the minors, this contract does not affect our cap at all. Still have about $3.5 million in space, with a 12-forward, 7-defenceman roster that does not include Cozens at a shade under $900,000.

Maybe now he can afford a gym membership.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think the same?

What it means is nobody at those websites go back through to check whether the player earned the performance bonuses he was eligible for.

Mittelstadt had a 2 way contract each year of the 3 years with a base NHL salary (including signing bonus) of the ELC max of $925k with potential bonuses of $850k in each of years 2 & 3.

He didn't get anywhere close to the full NHL salary in years 1 nor 3, nor did he get any of the performance bonuses.  (He didn't earn a bonus last year, doubt he got it the previous year, but might have qualified via ice time.  Didn't verify that one.)  But the websites assume he did earn all that he was theoretically eligible to earn when looking at his individual stats.

Pretty sure they have the correct #'s for the team relative to its cap, but have never verified that.

So, though they claim he earned every penny he had available to him, he earned a fraction of that.  He probably got just under $100k his abriviated season, the full $925k his overused season (no data about the bonus), and ~$365k + an AHL salary last year.

Edited by Taro T

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

And that said, not a single GM was willing to offer sheet Mitts for $1.0M as a 13th forward for no compensation whatsoever (no picks required up to $1.4M). Hmm.

What part of "the Sabres had exclusive negotiating rights" was the confusing one?

He was not an RFA.  He was simply unsigned.

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What part of "the Sabres had exclusive negotiating rights" was the confusing one?

Thought he was RFA? 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/sabres-sign-restricted-free-agent-casey-mittelstadt-one-year-deal/sn-amp/

Edited by Thorny

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But @Taro T, every site had him listed as an RFA: NHL.com, Sportsnet, Sportrac.  I'm not saying offer sheet now on Xmas EveEve, I mean as soon as the window opened and the qualifying offers were extended. Mitts never went to arbitration.

Just like Barzal. Any team could've extended an offer to Barzal. None did (or he didn't sign, which is ridiculous with the flat cap).   "Hey Matt. There's a flat/reduced cap. Every day you remain unsigned you're going to make less money --- even as a higher stature player. Here's 6.5M/2 years. Is it slightly below your value? Absolutely. But sign it and get a paycheck rather than settling 4.5 once all the money is gone. It's a bridge. We're glad to trade a first and a third for you."  Or any of a number of other guys, like Mitts. (Though of course, Mittestadt could've been offered what we signed Tage Thompson for or less.)

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Casey fell into a rare category where he could not be offer sheeted.

He could only be signed by the Sabres.

Gahhhh! Then how do us hockey peons in the Outer Rim like me know? Where is this listed and described? (Sorry @Taro T, I know better than to doubt you.)

I mean.... Isn't there like some "Rule III FA" designation like in baseball that could be given? 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Welcome back to the Sabres, Casey! Go get 'em and make the world regret not believing in you.

I hope this comes to pass.  If this is anything like the NFL, there will be some kind of Covid list.  Even players in a bubble can conceivably contract the disease.  Mitts will get opportunities to play real minutes in meaningful roles... if he's ready.  I hope he is and it jump starts his career.

15 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Gahhhh! Then how do us hockey peons in the Outer Rim like me know? Where is this listed and described? (Sorry @Taro T, I know better than to doubt you.)

I mean.... Isn't there like some "Rule III FA" designation like in baseball that could be given? 

Pretty close:

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#102c

What is a 10.2(c) player?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA

Its basically because he signed as a teenager and his contract expired before he had played three years pro.
Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.