Given the New NHL setup, which one Sabre could be the difference between making the playoffs or being on the looking in?

GASabresIUFAN

I was watching the NHL Network’s top 50 and I realized that there is one player on the Sabres, not on the list, who if he takes the next step in his development, he’ll make the Sabres into the a playoff team.  Yes offensive depth will certainly help.   Ullmark could also be the difference, but Rasmus Dahlin becoming a Cale Maker difference maker will actually make everything better. His ability to support offense 5 on 5, clear the zone on defense and QB the PP will launch this team forward.  Mark my words, he scores 40 in this 56 game season and the Sabres will be solidly in a playoff spot.

• Like (+1) 1

Linus Ullmark:

2016: Decent AHL backup

2017: Mediocre AHL starter

2018: AHL stud

2019: Decent NHL backup

2020: Mediocre NHL starter

2021: ???

He’s been a poster child for development and he’s at an age where goalies typically emerge.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

The backup goalie.

I have confidence Ullmark plays well and the team is better than last year. We need a backup goalie who doesn't fall apart. It can be Hutton. I hope it's Hutton for Hutton's sake. He doesn't need to be undefeated for the first month of the season like last year, but he needs to be consistent and solid and above a .910 sv% for the season. Do that, with the continued growth of the youngsters, the infusion of Hall and Staal, and the depth down the center....  But we need a 2nd goalie who isn't almost a guaranteed loss for 3/4 of the season.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Goaltending is to easy.  How much better does it get simply by having an offense that tips the ice in our offensive direction?  How many fewer opportunities does Ullmark/hutton face if Dahlin’s improves as both ends of the ice and he is able to get the puck out consistently and quickly?  

Last year Ullmark’s play was borderline playoff quality (except on the PK).  Hutton is more likely to cost us then Ullmark.  So assuming similar decent goaltending from Ullmark, how much better are we if we simply reduce his chances by 15% to 20%.  

An elite Dahlin will have much more to do with those reduced changes.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

One candidate that hasn't been mentioned is Staal. Six months ago all we talked about was the gaping hole at 2C.

How good a 2C will he be? Can he still score? Elevate guys like Skinner and Cozens on his wing? Will he help us win more faceoffs? Get to the net better? Show the kids the way?

• nfreeman changed the title to Given the New NHL setup, which one Sabre could be the difference between making the playoffs or being on the looking in?
13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Goaltending is to easy.  How much better does it get simply by having an offense that tips the ice in our offensive direction?  How many fewer opportunities does Ullmark/hutton face if Dahlin’s improves as both ends of the ice and he is able to get the puck out consistently and quickly?  

Last year Ullmark’s play was borderline playoff quality (except on the PK).  Hutton is more likely to cost us then Ullmark.  So assuming similar decent goaltending from Ullmark, how much better are we if we simply reduce his chances by 15% to 20%.  

An elite Dahlin will have much more to do with those reduced changes.

🤣

You ask for ONE player but then say the goalie is too easy a choice.  If Ullmark is able to improve to the same relative degree we expect Dahlin to improve by and he stays healthy, the Sabres are in the playoffs.  Hutton possibly being a dud is overcomable if the Sabres #1 goalie gets the job done like he should.

Dahlin upping his game to Eichel's level but Ullmark playing like 2 years ago along w/ a 2nd 1/2 of a Sabres season Hutton and even that much of an improvement by Rasmus won't be enough.  It might not even be enough if Linus is exactly what he was last year but we get the 2nd 1/2 season Carter.

It's the easy answer, but that's also why it's the correct answer.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner would be my number 2. His cap hit is atrocious and if he isn't producing 60pts and 30goals it is the worst contract in the league. Hopefully last year was an anomaly caused by not having a center. Also don't sign 28yr old UFA's to 8 year deals.

I agree, except if you look back at the Skinner FA thread nearly everyone here was clamoring to get Skinner re-signed at any cost and any term.  Obviously the pandemic has changed the economics making the contract even worse.  That said, he has had similar “off” seasons in the past and had rebounded strongly.  I’m expecting 25-30 in this shorten season.

@dudacek I think Staal is a very interesting choice.  Eichel is a given. With our sudden depth of wingers, Staal having another good season should help us get good production from Skinner and Olofsson could help us tilt the ice away from our average goaltending.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

19 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The backup goalie.

I have confidence Ullmark plays well and the team is better than last year. We need a backup goalie who doesn't fall apart. It can be Hutton. I hope it's Hutton for Hutton's sake. He doesn't need to be undefeated for the first month of the season like last year, but he needs to be consistent and solid and above a .910 sv% for the season. Do that, with the continued growth of the youngsters, the infusion of Hall and Staal, and the depth down the center....  But we need a 2nd goalie who isn't almost a guaranteed loss for 3/4 of the season.

Yup, it's this. Good call. 

Their failure to address the backup goalie position is the biggest potential misfire I see this offseason. 

Frankly eye-brow raising considering the eyes below Hutton's can't even see properly. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

🤣

You ask for ONE player but then say the goalie is too easy a choice.  If Ullmark is able to improve to the same relative degree we expect Dahlin to improve by and he stays healthy, the Sabres are in the playoffs.  Hutton possibly being a dud is overcomable if the Sabres #1 goalie gets the job done like he should.

Dahlin upping his game to Eichel's level but Ullmark playing like 2 years ago along w/ a 2nd 1/2 of a Sabres season Hutton and even that much of an improvement by Rasmus won't be enough.  It might not even be enough if Linus is exactly what he was last year but we get the 2nd 1/2 season Carter.

It's the easy answer, but that's also why it's the correct answer.

Agree. They rolled the dice quite dangerously on Hutton. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm going to say it's someone that starts the year in Rochester.  Someone like a Mittelstadt or a Casey Nelson, that has to come up when there's an injury or a Covid positive, that not only fills the roster spot but makes us all wonder what he was doing in Rochester to begin with.  I think someone will pop out of an unexpected spot and make a big difference.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.