Name your 8

PASabreFan

10 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Sabres, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit, Columbus, Carolina

Pittsburgh, Philly, Rags, Isles, Devils, Capitals, Tampa, Florida

Nashville, Colorado, Calgary, Winnipeg, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago

LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, Vancouver, Seattle, Edmonton, Vegas

I don't like Calgary and Edmonton being split and I don't like Carolina in with the Sabres.  The distances out west and the number of teams on the Eastern Seaboard make this difficult.  I like 8 4 team divisions better. Split into 2 conferences.  You'd have the 4 division winners and then 4 wild cards in the playoffs.

Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa

Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey, Boston

Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus

Carolina, Nashville, Florida, Tampa

Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas

Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota

Arizona, Vegas, LA, Anaheim

San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver, Colorado

You could swap Dallas for Nashville if it makes you happier.

If they keep the season at 82 games, then this works with level scheduling.

Schedule 1: 2 conferences x 4 divisions / conference x 4 teams / division.

16 teams outside of conference x 1 game / team + 12 teams in conference outside the division x 4 games / team + 3 teams in division x 6 games / team = 16 + 48 +18 = 82.

Schedule 2: 2 conferences x 2 division / conference x 2 groups / division x 4 teams / group

16 teams outside of conference x 2 games / team + 8 teams in conference outside of division x 2 games / team + 4 teams in division outside of group x 4 games / team + 3 teams in division x 6 games / team = 32 + 16 + 16 + 18 = 82

47 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd always want geography to play a major role (more than it does now). Toronto Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Columbus would be my choices.  I'd happily swap out Pittsburgh or Detroit though if we could find a way to get a team back in Quebec City.

I don't care that we almost share the same lake; Detroit is and should be a central-ish city.  And Ohio only exists to get in the way of going to other places, so screw Columbus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.