Name your 8

PASabreFan

If the NHL stuck with four, eight-team divisions with an eye toward creating rivalries (they won't; nothing I propose ever happens), what teams would you like to see join the Sabres?

I'll go with Boston, Montreal, NYI, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Tampa.

I really don't care about the Leafs. Other than proximity, something involving Punch Imlach and his beaver hat, and a bunch of idiot Leaf fans filling up KBC, there's no there there.

The Sens can go eat a beaver tail.

And get your hats ready: Leave it to Beaver.

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think I'd swap Columbus for Carolina, but I like the idea of playing the dastardly duo many times a season.

Still waiting to avenge Brad Friggin' Park and Bernie Friggin' Parent.

May a horny scorpion take up residence in your sister's hoop skirt.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I really don't care about the Leafs. Other than proximity, something involving Punch Imlach and his beaver hat, and a bunch of idiot Leaf fans filling up KBC, there's no there there.

The 1999 Eastern Conference Finals would like a word with you.

They’re going back to last year’s divisions next year, with Seattle replacing Arizona, who is moving to the Central. The most relevant factor is travel and time zones for tv. I would switch Columbus and Pittsburgh into our division for Tampa and Florida, but the league wants to maintain the Pitt-Philly rivalry.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I don't like Calgary and Edmonton being split and I don't like Carolina in with the Sabres.  The distances out west and the number of teams on the Eastern Seaboard make this difficult.  I like 8 4 team divisions better. Split into 2 conferences.  You'd have the 4 division winners and then 4 wild cards in the playoffs.

For realignment, I really like @Let's Go B-Lo's approach of 4 division winners x 4 wild cards. It makes division battles extremely important (see the NFL) which generates rivalries if they play each other a sufficient number of times. And you still have a wild card to get the other contenders in. Wild cards also prevent a crap division (see NFL NFC East this year) from sending two sub-.500 (not including loser points, of course!) to the playoffs.

The alternative would be the top 2 from each division making the playoffs -- and then they face each other to advance. (You hate your division rival and they're really, really good? Well, you've gotta get past them in the opening round every year. And hate leads to Suffering!)

Either way, smaller divisions increase the rivalries... aka... give in to the hate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

TL;DR = Why, whatever do you mean it's holiday week and I have too much free time?

With the mention of 4-team divisions above I decided to just do a buddy-up system with pre-existing rivalries from the NFL. I give you: the NFL/NHL division alignment. (NFL Equivalent in parentheses)

In the American Hockey Conference

AHC East: Sabres (Bills), Bruins (Patriots), Panthers (Dolphins), Islanders (Jets). This one was a 1:1 match. All too easy.

AHC North: Penguins (Steelers), Leafs (Browns), Devils (Ravens), Senators (Bengals). I considered a Saints/Devils balance, but really, the Devils and Ravens have been defense-first for 30 years and are very close geographically. Plus, the Leafs get to be their historical NFL Equivalent: the Browns (or Bengals) -- doesn't matter. They don't matter.

AHC South: Predators (Titans), Blue Jackets (Colts), Oilers (Texans), Canucks (Jaguars). The Edmonton Oilers replace the replacement of the Houston Oilers. Makes sense. The Canucks and the Jaguars -- opposite corners -- some good seasons but never the best... sure. That was one of the weakest matches.

AHC West: Blues (Chiefs), Golden Knights (Raiders), Avalanche (Broncos), Ducks (Chargers). Another easy division with almost perfect matches. Chargers and Ducks match up because the Rams/Kings have been better more recently.

In the National Hockey Conference

NHC East: Capitals (Team); Stars (Cowboys); Rangers (Giants); Flyers (Eagles). Another 1:1 alignment. And a fun hockey division.

NHC North: Here's where I caveat this as a Packers fan. This division has three teams that are pre-existing (NFL/NHL city crossover), so the final team needs to match the spirit of the Packers.... insufferable holier-than-thou fanbase, media darlings... Toronto? No. Also, they need the hardware of the most-decorated franchise in League history. Habs. This way, Toronto can be matched to the Browns or Bengals.    Canadiens (Packers), Blackhawks (Bears), Wild (Vikings), Red Wings (Lions).

NHC South: Flames (Saints), Lightning (Buccaneers), Jets (Falcons), Hurricanes (Panthers). The matches plus the former-Atlanta franchises.

NHC West: Kraken (Seahawks), Coyotes (Cardinals), Kings (Rams), Sharks (49ers). Another 1:1 alignment, especially with the 49ers now playing in Santa Clara instead of Candlestick.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.