Buffalo Sabres Training Camp (2020/21)

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Whether Cozens ends up taxi squading will likely be very dependent upon whether that eats into his 9 (5?, 6?) game tryout.  Doubt he'd be there while in that window, but once the decision to keep him on the roster has been made; yes, can see him occasionally scratched situational.

Am fully expecting Mittelstadt to start on the taxi squad but also be the 1st offensive call up.

The, this year I think, 6 game tryout is only for games actually played.  If you don’t dress, it doesn’t count toward the limit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

The, this year I think, 6 game tryout is only for games actually played.  If you don’t dress, it doesn’t count toward the limit.

Pretty sure you are correct about that.  So, guess the concern about wasting his 6 or so game tryout on the taxi squad or pressbox is unfounded.  🍺

But, separately, pretty sure he technically can't be on the taxi squad as those guys are equivalently in the AHL and Cozens isn't eligible for the AHL.  But he can sit in the pressbox as a Sabre.  So, that might cause him to be a fairly rich 19 yo as he'll be getting his NHL salary when not playing but only 3 guys out of the full non-dressing crew practicing w/ the team can be in that spot so if he is not playing he might be costing Mittelstadt (or somebody else) some bucks as they get their AHL salary but he gets his NHL one.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Until we see otherwise, the expectation should be that it will be.  But expect Dahlin to have almost identical ES deployment to what Risto ends up with.  Likely ~17 minutes each.

There is a reason they call him the Latvian Locomotive & it isn't merely that it's alliterative.  😉

I fear groundhog day, then. 

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But if he's getting 1 less ES minute and he's typically out there with the Staal line & Dahlin's getting nearly the same ES time primarily w/ Eichel's line, is it really fear worthy?

I'm not sure we can field a winning team if Ristolainen plays more than any other defender, yes. He'd be having more of an impact at even strength than any other defender and his impacts are always, statistically, bad. We'd still be in a position where we'd be needing to overcome him rather than benefit from him, IMO. 

If Dahlin gets the lion's share of the ES time with the Eichel line, that would be a big step to the positive. 

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Lazar is lighter, wonder how that changes his game. 

He's only a fringe 4th liner, but I thought this was kinda interesting too.  He was already really fast and he lost 18 pounds.

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm not sure we can field a winning team if Ristolainen plays more than any other defender, yes. He'd be having more of an impact at even strength than any other defender and his impacts are always, statistically, bad. We'd still be in a position where we'd be needing to overcome him rather than benefit from him, IMO. 

If Dahlin gets the lion's share of the ES time with the Eichel line, that would be a big step to the positive. 

Hockey teams are "iced," sir, not "fielded."

More importantly, you are too pessimistic about the forward lines.  The top 2 lines are going to be devastating, and I think that Cozens will force his way onto Eakin's line no later than game 5.  TT will also be in the bottom 6, and there is a reasonable chance that either R2 or Mittlestadt pushes his way in as well.  Between Cozens and 1 or 2 of the FNGs, the bottom 6 will be much improved.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He's only a fringe 4th liner, but I thought this was kinda interesting too.  He was already really fast and he lost 18 pounds.

Hockey teams are "iced," sir, not "fielded."

More importantly, you are too pessimistic about the forward lines.  The top 2 lines are going to be devastating, and I think that Cozens will force his way onto Eakin's line no later than game 5.  TT will also be in the bottom 6, and there is a reasonable chance that either R2 or Mittlestadt pushes his way in as well.  Between Cozens and 1 or 2 of the FNGs, the bottom 6 will be much improved.

Nah I don't think pessimistic is fair. I've said the same as you re: the top 6. If those other things you mentioned happen, I think things are gonna be ok on the F front, but I was also reacting specifically to the combos listed (minus Mittelstadt). 

I already mentioned that Cozens absence from the lines looks jarring visually - that's a factor in the B6 assessment. It does show we are counting on him, though. 

I disagree the bottom 6 will be much improved. It's starting from a position of noticeably weakened (Larsson). Cozens gets in there and maybe it about evens out. If we want a MUCH improved bottom 6, we'd definitely need a Ruotsalainen/Mittelstadt surprise.  

But even just breaking even in the B6 is fine (re: forwards) since the T6 should be better.

But again, this is all necessarily viewed through the context of the ground we need to make up. I'm not sure the F upgrade overall is enough to offset a poor defensive deployment and a goaltender who can't see, when combined with that uphill climb. 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Mitts down a few pounds.  Hopefully that's indicative of improved fitness.

Don't see how. He should be adding muscle, not getting lighter. 

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock in who is lined up with who right now. Ralph is a mixed line chemistry kind of guy and he's going to mix and match with the new guys until he sees who clicks with who. Based on last year and the things he said he is also a work hard and play more (and vice versa) guy so the entire line up will be fluid unless the first game group keeps winning. 

We might finally have enough talent where hard work can be rewarded and slackers can be sent to the press box. For years we've never had that. There was never any way to sit a guy without hurting the team. I also have no issues with not rushing Cozens. By the end of the year I think he will have worked into the main group but easing him in slowly is not a problem. 

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Condensed season along with an evolving game means you need more than just two lines who can score.  Add in however many COVID cases and injuries, definitely need the bottom six to contribute.  I won’t be surprised if we have a few games won/lost on the backs of guys like Lazar, KO and the like.  

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Condensed season along with an evolving game means you need more than just two lines who can score.  Add in however many COVID cases and injuries, definitely need the bottom six to contribute.  I won’t be surprised if we have a few games won/lost on the backs of guys like Lazar, KO and the like.  

I agree that the bottom 6 will be needed -- I am fairly optimistic though that Eakin, Cozens and TT will represent a significant upgrade over last year, and I am holding out hope that they'll get additional contributions from one of R2 or Mitts.

• Like (+1) 1

A comparison between this season and last season’s forward lines.

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

-This year’s 1st line is definitely better.

Skinner-Staal-Reinhart

Skinner-Johansson-Sobotka

-This year’s 2nd line is definitely much much better.

Girgensons-Eakin-Okposo

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

-This years 3rd line is probably worse.

Thompson-Lazar-Reider  (Cozens, Routsalainen)

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Vesey

-This year’s 4th line is hopefully better, but who knows.

Overall, the lineup should be greatly improved because there will actually be two dangerous scoring lines.  The bottom 6 may or may not be better, but they will definitely be less depended upon.  Because the bottom 6 will be more sheltered, hopefully some combinations that work can be found and they can excel in their more limited roles.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

A comparison between this season and last season’s forward lines.

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

-This year’s 1st line is definitely better.

Skinner-Staal-Reinhart

Skinner-Johansson-Sobotka

-This year’s 2nd line is definitely much much better.

Girgensons-Eakin-Okposo

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

-This years 3rd line is probably worse.

Thompson-Lazar-Reider  (Cozens, Routsalainen)

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Vesey

-This year’s 4th line is hopefully better, but who knows.

Overall, the lineup should be greatly improved because there will actually be two dangerous scoring lines.  The bottom 6 may or may not be better, but they will definitely be less depended upon.  Because the bottom 6 will be more sheltered, hopefully some combinations that work can be found and they can excel in their more limited roles.

I agree with posters who pencil Cozens in on the fourth line.  What interests me is what does the third line look like if he proves capable this year? 

Girgensons Cozens Okposo

Two vets who have played up and down lineups and special teams to mentor him.  He’s got skill and I can see those two being a positive influence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure you are correct about that.  So, guess the concern about wasting his 6 or so game tryout on the taxi squad or pressbox is unfounded.  🍺

But, separately, pretty sure he technically can't be on the taxi squad as those guys are equivalently in the AHL and Cozens isn't eligible for the AHL.  But he can sit in the pressbox as a Sabre.  So, that might cause him to be a fairly rich 19 yo as he'll be getting his NHL salary when not playing but only 3 guys out of the full non-dressing crew practicing w/ the team can be in that spot so if he is not playing he might be costing Mittelstadt (or somebody else) some bucks as they get their AHL salary but he gets his NHL one.

Isn't Mitts contract 1 way?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't see how. He should be adding muscle, not getting lighter. 

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock in who is lined up with who right now. Ralph is a mixed line chemistry kind of guy and he's going to mix and match with the new guys until he sees who clicks with who. Based on last year and the things he said he is also a work hard and play more (and vice versa) guy so the entire line up will be fluid unless the first game group keeps winning. 

We might finally have enough talent where hard work can be rewarded and slackers can be sent to the press box. For years we've never had that. There was never any way to sit a guy without hurting the team. I also have no issues with not rushing Cozens. By the end of the year I think he will have worked into the main group but easing him in slowly is not a problem. 

You don't know how much of his previous weight was fat. I went from 205 to 195 5 years ago and it was a stronger 195.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I agree with posters who pencil Cozens in on the fourth line.  What interests me is what does the third line look like if he proves capable this year? 

Girgensons Cozens Okposo

Two vets who have played up and down lineups and special teams to mentor him.  He’s got skill and I can see those two being a positive influence.

Agree.  There is potential from multiple young guys (Cozens, Thompson, Routsalainen, Mittelstadt) to come in and make the 3rd line a force.  That could make the Sabres forward lineup truly elite.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.