Streaming of games

bills_fan_in_raleigh

I have done quite a lot of research on streaming tv. 

There was a very cheap option for 10 per month with att streaming but once directv got involved they discontinued it and made it very expensive 

We use YouTubeTv. Its 65 dollars per month but the dvr is great. I live outside of buffalo so i still need to stream games with nhl.tv

The last time i checked we were still saving about 50 dollars per month since we have 2 tvs over cable, but we get a lot less channels than cable. 

There is also slingtv, but i dont think you get local channels with that. Its much cheaper but without the local channels it wasn't worth it. 

We also tried hulu streaming. it was ok but we live between ny and philly but we were getting philly local stations instead of ny. My wife is a big giants fan, so that was a no go for her. With youtubetv since we are in the border, they let us choose which we wanted. With cable we got both. 

Realistically i do not think streaming is a huge savings like it was a few years ago. Every station wants their plus version for paid amount and it seems to cost more overall over cable if you opt for those too.

The best one we had used was the playstation streaming but that is long been discontinued. 

A friend of mine found a free streaming site for local channels but considering it is free i doubt it is legal.

If you are just looking for the playoffs, you might be able to jump from free trial of one service to the next service. It doesn't help for next year though

Edited by Mike Honcho

48 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The playoffs this year are still all on the networks of NBC. I have SlingTV that has them as a part of my package. $25 a month.

That might be the solution.

I may not be in Buffalo next season, so I'm going to need a more permanent solution.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That might be the solution.

I may not be in Buffalo next season, so I'm going to need a more permanent solution.

If you aren’t going to be in Buffalo and are out-of-market area I’m pretty sure NHL.tv is the only fully legit option for regular season Sabres games. 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If you're in the U.S. but not the Buffalo market, NHL.tv/Center Ice is the way to go, and basically the only legal way to go.

Beat me by a second. It’s even better when you use a friends login. 

• Like (+1) 2

As someone who had Center Ice through DirecTV and now get NHL.tv, I recommend the latter.  They're basically the same service but Center Ice is linked to your TV provider (DirecTV or cable company, etc.)  NHL.tv is not.  To view NHL.tv you can either watch it on a PC or through a smart TV or a streaming device like Roku. 

The reason NHL.tv is better is that you can watch live or on delay, watch all the features (interviews, etc.) on TV, watch the pre-game and post-game (although those you can only watch live).  You don't get those with DirecTV.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

As someone who had Center Ice through DirecTV and now get NHL.tv, I recommend the latter.  They're basically the same service but Center Ice is linked to your TV provider (DirecTV or cable company, etc.)  NHL.tv is not.  To view NHL.tv you can either watch it on a PC or through a smart TV or a streaming device like Roku. 

The reason NHL.tv is better is that you can watch live or on delay, watch all the features (interviews, etc.) on TV, watch the pre-game and post-game (although those you can only watch live).  You don't get those with DirecTV.

I have NHL.tv, MLB.tv, and Sunday Ticket. I definitely prefer the MLBAM products over the DirecTV one. 

The one thing that just annoys me to no end is I don't the NHL Network.  I can't get it through NHL.tv (which seems like it should be included) and if I want it through my cable provider I have to get the most expensive premium level of service.

6 hours ago, #freejame said:

Gotta PM this next time. I use it too and recommend it, but we aren't supposed to throw out illegal streams on the general forum. 

Correct and thanks.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

The playoffs this year are still all on the networks of NBC. I have SlingTV that has them as a part of my package. $25 a month.

@Eleven -- did you check out nbc sports (or peacock, or whatever big media company includes nbc) streaming options?

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Looks like NHL.tv is moving to ESPN+ for next season and there isn't a way to purchase the rest of this post-season.  So I'll stick with fubo for a month, or switch to sling, and see what happens next season.

Right.  I maintain Fubo simply for MSG.  As long as I am boned by "local market" it might have to be so.  We'll see how things change with ESPN+ next year but I assume not much when it comes to those who are in market.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, I just found the announcement.  I wonder if there's an upcharge for NHL games or if it's included in their subscription rate?  It doesn't clearly say.

I so hope not.  It would give the value to ESPN+ that right now I don't see.  I just have it because Hulu+ and Disney+ have value to me and paying for all 3 is easier than paying for 2 of them.

I'm hoping for something like F1 TV that launched.  About to pull the trigger on that.. for the cost of a month of Fubo you get a massive amount of F1,F2,F3 content.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Right.  I maintain Fubo simply for MSG.  As long as I am boned by "local market" it might have to be so.  We'll see how things change with ESPN+ next year but I assume not much when it comes to those who are in market.

I so hope not.  It would give the value to ESPN+ that right now I don't see.  I just have it because Hulu+ and Disney+ have value to me and paying for all 3 is easier than paying for 2 of them.

I'm hoping for something like F1 TV that launched.  About to pull the trigger on that.. for the cost of a month of Fubo you get a massive amount of F1,F2,F3 content.

I changed my post because the article implied that NHL games were included in the regular subscription price.  I almost signed up when I thought it would be the only way to see ESPN+ games.  I guess now I will sign up before next season.  Unless they trade Jack, Sam, Risto, Mitts, Cozens & Houser, TPeg sells the team to a Chinese conglomerate and the team moves to China.  Then I'll think about it first.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well how good/bad this is depends on what the pricing will be. Right now I have a $12/mo bundle of Disney/Hulu/ESPN+. NHL.tv cost me $120/season. So if my bundle price holds steady then I'm fine. I get me Sabres and all UB sports too.

The article implied that the ESPN+ subscription cost would include NHL games but I'm not 100% sure the author knows.  I looked on the ESPN+ site and it appears there are two choices:  ESPN+ or the D+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle, but no other premium subscriptions, so I'm optimistic.

Done with fubo.  My link to the Canadiens game kept directing me to the two Florida teams, which I don't care about.  Also, it wouldn't let me watch the Minnesota game, because it only displays "todays" games, and we all know that every hockey game ends at 11:59pm Eastern.

Gonna try sling next per @SwampD even though he lives in New Jersey and therefore inherently is untrustworthy.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, Eleven said:

Looks like NHL.tv is moving to ESPN+ for next season and there isn't a way to purchase the rest of this post-season.  So I'll stick with fubo for a month, or switch to sling, and see what happens next season.

Start here and read down through the thread for more ESPN+ info.

46 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

NHL.tv is going away.  ESPN+ will be carrying NHL out-of-market games.  That's actually good because you can get ESPN+ for a lot less than NHL.tv.

I hope it's included in my current ESPN+ package, which also includes all UB football and basketball. A bargain at $5/mo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.