Streaming of games

bills_fan_in_raleigh

On 12/24/2020 at 10:45 AM, LTS said:

The key is not allowing anyone but MSG to produce/distribute the content. Single producer, multiple distribution channels leads to maximizing reach and ultimately revenues.

But... nope.  Let's tie ourselves to a medium that is declining at a rapid rate.  

Sigh.

Technically, they do have multiple distribution channels, as you get MSG/MSG+ with Fubo.  Unfortunately, it's only available packaged with a lot of other channels and their prices have gone up: 

FuboChannels.thumb.jpg.8ca7ff218cfe3550f7c19ea6d639a4a3.jpg

You do get your local networks (ABC, etc), NHL Network, NFL Network, MLB Network, ESPN (several), NBCSN, some college sports networks, etc, as well channels that may or may not interest you or your family: Disney (multiple), History, FX, National Geographic, TLC, SYFY and so on.  It's like cable was a while back.  Not cheap anymore, but not ridiculous yet.

Side note: I learned too late that they lost Turner channels, including TNT, this summer .  Had to break out the DVD of "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve.  It wasn't the same not having the snow coming down at night to end one run blending right into the starting town/shop scene of the next one.  It was available to purchase on Roku for a couple of $'s, but I passed on principle.

19 hours ago, carpandean said:

Technically, they do have multiple distribution channels, as you get MSG/MSG+ with Fubo.  Unfortunately, it's only available packaged with a lot of other channels and their prices have gone up: 

You do get your local networks (ABC, etc), NHL Network, NFL Network, MLB Network, ESPN (several), NBCSN, some college sports networks, etc, as well channels that may or may not interest you or your family: Disney (multiple), History, FX, National Geographic, TLC, SYFY and so on.  It's like cable was a while back.  Not cheap anymore, but not ridiculous yet.

Side note: I learned too late that they lost Turner channels, including TNT, this summer .  Had to break out the DVD of "A Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve.  It wasn't the same not having the snow coming down at night to end one run blending right into the starting town/shop scene of the next one.  It was available to purchase on Roku for a couple of $'s, but I passed on principle.

Yeh its gonna suck live innNYC area without cable and now Sabres in this division so NHL will black out all Rangers Sabres, Devils Sabres and Islander Devils game for me... wtf

31 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh its gonna suck live innNYC area without cable and now Sabres in this division so NHL will black out all Rangers Sabres, Devils Sabres and Islander Devils game for me... wtf

You just ruined my day. I didn’t even think about that.

50 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

That stinks.

How expensive would it be to pick it back up for ~6 months?  

20 hours ago, carpandean said:

They do, but MSG or the NHL keeps putting in rules that are tying their service to the "cable" company.  I would really call it any service aggregator as that is what Fubo, Charter, DirecTV all are at this point.

They are all about creating the packages that people want for a price that makes them money. It's going to continue to be ridiculous as each content producer finds their way in the world.  We're seeing that happen right before our eyes with CBS All Access, Peacock, Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu+, Discovery+ (or whatever they are calling it).  

The NHL needs to adapt to this as well because MSG can't stand on its own. While people are cutting the cord not many are moving to YouTubeTV, HuluTV, Sling, Fubo, etc. because they are content subscribing to Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO, CBS, etc.  

I will be using Fubo to get the Sabres this year. Spectrum would charge me $12.99 broadcast surcharge and $8.99 set top box fees on top of all the regular programming charges. For the few months I need it I would rather pay slightly more to Fubo than pay $22 per month to absolutely ridiculous fees. You also get more from Fubo.

Ultimately though, the NHL needs to shore up its NHL.tv product and make that unrestricted.  

• Like (+1) 1

So the season is upon us.  I went into my NHL.tv subscription and looked around.  It shows three of the 5 games on NBCSN (the US games) but doesn't show any Canadian feeds.  All the subsequent dates look similar.  I seem to remember they turn things on at the last minute; I hope no one forgets to flip the switch this afternoon.

Also, looks like the the first Sabres game is on ESPN+; I wonder if that means it won't be on NHL.tv.

(I can't remember these details from last year.)

On 1/12/2021 at 9:45 AM, North Buffalo said:

im in this boat too. i might have the philly games, maybe on my tv, but otherwise im out of luck.  

On 1/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, carpandean said:

I checked FUBO and was going to go with it, but MSG is not available in my area. That leaves me with DirecTV as my only source for the Sabres. I'm not going backwards after waiting 10 years and finally getting highspeed internet.

• Like (+1) 1

Leafs Habs has no feeds on nhl.tv.  Wtf.  I'm in Chicago.  These people wonder why they are not like the other sports and it is this crap over and over that makes people not bother to try and consume the product. 

Edited by 3putt

56 minutes ago, 3putt said:

Leafs Habs has no feeds on nhl.tv.  Wtf.  I'm in Chicago.  These people wonder why they are not like the other sports and it is this crap over and over that makes people not bother to try and consume the product. 

The good news is you don’t have to listen to Anthony Stewart and Kevin Bieksa say Wayne Simmonds sparked a big Leaf comeback by fighting. Because that’s what it was, not the two-man advantage for the puck being shot over the glass, or the ridiculous snipe by Nylander.

Havent missed the Leaf Friendly narratives at all.

1 hour ago, 3putt said:

I have Roku and had the same problem.  I removed the NHL app from Roku, reloaded it, signed in and now it works.

• Like (+1) 1

It kind of pissed me off to be honest.  I tried logging onto NHL.tv on my computer and it worked, so I knew i had access, so I called their tech support number and sat on hold for altogether too long, then figured maybe unloading and reloading the app might fix it, and it did.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It kind of pissed me off to be honest.  I tried logging onto NHL.tv on my computer and it worked, so I knew i had access, so I called their tech support number and sat on hold for altogether too long, then figured maybe unloading and reloading the app might fix it, and it did.

Glad you got it to work.

Shocked Center Ice works properly for me.  Each of the last 4 years DTv managed to mess up my account, so an annual rite of the new season was wasting 1/2 an hour talking to tech service desperately trying to get them to look at the account settings and reactivate CI.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Shocked Center Ice works properly for me.  Each of the last 4 years DTv managed to mess up my account, so an annual rite of the new season was wasting 1/2 an hour talking to tech service desperately trying to get them to look at the account settings and reactivate CI.

Same.  Going back to when I used to have DTV.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 3putt said:

I got the Leafs Habs game last night on nhl.tv. I'm a few hours south of DC. My guess is that you didn't get it because it was a nationally televised game in Canada and you are too close to Canada. That's only a guess

Chicago is too close to Canada? I think there is something else going on. I removed the app reinstalled it, logged in and now It says there are no feeds for any games including tonight.  

And what the hell is ESPN + and why would that blackout agame

Edited by 3putt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.