Streaming of games

bills_fan_in_raleigh

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It would be if I could watch my favorite team on it.

Someday, the league is going to figure this out.  Spectrum or DirecTV pays MSG a few bucks per month, a fraction of which ends up in the NHL's pocket.  So let's say the NHL gets about $1 per month per subscriber.  $12/year.  Think of how much more money the league would make if it told MSG to go screw itself with the blackouts, took less money from MSG, and marketed its streaming service with no blackouts.  Presumption is that ad revenue remains constant across all distribution channels.

If that happened, MSG wouldn't be able to ask for that $1/month and then just say screw it, we're not doing the broadcast anymore. The league would then have to take over and pay for the broadcast and then raise the cost of NHL.TV to pay for it.

Things cost what they cost. Just like with streaming and the ala carte cord cutting unicorn, by the time you add up all the services you have to pay for to get what you want, you're right back to where you were paying for cable.

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If that happened, MSG wouldn't be able to ask for that $1/month and then just say screw it, we're not doing the broadcast anymore. The league would then have to take over and pay for the broadcast and then raise the cost of NHL.TV to pay for it.

Things cost what they cost. Just like with streaming and the ala carte cord cutting unicorn, by the time you add up all the services you have to pay for to get what you want, you're right back to where you were paying for cable.

1.  The Sabres already pay for the on-air personalities and the crew, from what I understand.  

2.  I pay $14 - ish for Netflix, $6 for Hulu, and would pay, what is it, about $15 / mo for NHL?  That's a far, far cry from what cable costs.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, SwampD said:

Either the NHL would/should create their own broadcast coverages or they should sell the license to cover the games of each team to a content producer (like MSG) who can then product a broadcast (I prefer this route). MSG would then syndicate the content to cable companies and would also own the online streaming rights. MSG could sell different packages world-wide. They could sell an MSG All Access, an MSG Sports Bundle, an MSG Team Package. The All Access provides access to ALL content of all teams plus other programming. The Sports Bundle could provide access to the live games and the Team Package could provide coverage a single team.  MSG would own all the advertising and it would be uniform across streaming and cable distribution except for the limited "local" advertising slots.

This path would maximize consumption as it would provide the most differentiation in pricing tiers. It solidifies MSGs revenue potential by controlling the advertising revenue (if they were smart they could regionalize their ad sales). 

The NHL could license the content back from MSG to be included in an NHL bundle but the production remains MSG as does all the advertising.  The NHL benefits from the package pricing and brand awareness, MSG benefits from increase advertising eyeballs, brand awareness, etc.

The NHL could have agreements with content producers to offer certain games for free via the NHL streaming services or other services (ala the National games) so they could use that avenue to build interest in lower end hockey fans/new hockey fans who are unlikely to shell out money specifically for hockey).  Call it their showcase games of the weak or whatever.

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

1.  The Sabres already pay for the on-air personalities and the crew, from what I understand.  

2.  I pay $14 - ish for Netflix, $6 for Hulu, and would pay, what is it, about $15 / mo for NHL?  That's a far, far cry from what cable costs.

If #1 is totally accurate then the team could own the production rights over MSG (in my example above) and then license that out as they see fit.  MSG can get on board or get bent.  Spectrum could distribute the Sabres game on their local channel if they wanted to license it.  They don't need MSG.

As for #2... it would likely be more than $15/mo since there are limited cost efficiencies if the NHL produces all games.  The NHL already charges more than $15 per month for its current package anyway.  At $165 for a hair over 8 months of games it would be about $20/month.  Probably still a deal and almost assuredly a deal if you can get ANY team at ANY time.

Even if the Sabres had their own network, blackout restrictions would still apply as it’s the league that enforces it and decides the geographical territory for teams.

True to form, and just about as reliable as death and taxes, the NHL shoots itself in the foot. 

https://www.snnow.ca/support/nhl-blackout-restrictions#:~:text=Regional blackouts are a mandate,protect a team's home market.

Edited by I-90 W

Is there a way to catch Sabres games over the radio? If memory serves I don’t think WGR covers the games live but I could be wrong. I have NHL Network so am covered with highlights and news. 

Growing up as a baseball fan, I’m use to following sports on the radio so would be interested to know if this is an option. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, I-90 W said:

Is there a way to catch Sabres games over the radio? If memory serves I don’t think WGR covers the games live but I could be wrong. I have NHL Network so am covered with highlights and news. 

Growing up as a baseball fan, I’m use to following sports on the radio so would be interested to know if this is an option. 

Yes, WGR has ALL the Sabres games live on the Radio.com app.  I use it quite a bit.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, I-90 W said:

I sometimes watch the game on the NHL app but listen to the play by play on my phone through WGR.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, BuffalOhio said:

Yes, WGR has ALL the Sabres games live on the Radio.com app.  I use it quite a bit.

Dude, bless you. Very good to know thanks. I have that app on my Roku will do this. 

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yeah I think there is something in the bill about gender programs in Pakistan for no less than $10 mil. 

I have my thoughts about that but won’t elaborate. I really shouldn’t have even made the pork comment tbh. Just noting that it’s amazing what type of stuff is found in unrelated bills. 

14 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Sabres games get radio streamed on wgr and also on Sirius have listened in past when I was out fishing during a game

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Even if the Sabres had their own network, blackout restrictions would still apply as it’s the league that enforces it and decides the geographical territory for teams.

True to form, and just about as reliable as death and taxes, the NHL shoots itself in the foot. 

https://www.snnow.ca/support/nhl-blackout-restrictions#:~:text=Regional blackouts are a mandate,protect a team's home market.

Except the article strongly implies that it's to protect the regional networks.

If you live in Buffalo, MSG wants you to pay (through your cable/satellite provider) for its broadcast.  That's what is being protected.

Just now, Eleven said:

If you live in Buffalo, MSG wants you to pay (through your cable/satellite provider) for its broadcast.  That's what is being protected.

I think this is exactly right and would just add that this protection is part of what MSG is paying the Sabres for.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

But the way that I’m understanding it, since it is the league that draws up the tv broadcasting maps, i. e. Albany is Sabres territory, wouldn’t a national streaming platform have to go through the NHL for permission?

21 hours ago, Eleven said:

21 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think this is exactly right and would just add that this protection is part of what MSG is paying the Sabres for.  

And this is exactly the kind of backwards thinking from executives at MSG that will kill their business. People don't care and they are leaving traditional TV offerings (including satellite) in mass numbers.  This is similar to telecom companies who tried to hold onto copper assets for too long (although there are other factors in play there).  Cable television is dead and being tied to that platform will result in negative hits to the regional network. 

MSG should want to maximize their viewing audience, not protect cable companies or satellite providers.

The Sabres should want this as well.  The Sabres are constrained on how much money they can make per home game. The seating capacity of the arena is fixed. I am sure they have a target ARPU but it's not like they can up the number of seats to increase the number of units they can sell per game.  They too should be looking for that wider audience because they can then charge MSG more for a wider coverage. In addition, they can strengthen brand awareness and improve out of market merchandise sales.

The key is not allowing anyone but MSG to produce/distribute the content. Single producer, multiple distribution channels leads to maximizing reach and ultimately revenues.

But... nope.  Let's tie ourselves to a medium that is declining at a rapid rate.  

Sigh.

nhl.tv is going to be 99 dollars for the season. got the email today. This is the basic part of it. i dont remember how much it was last season, but im going to buy it. 

With the puck set to drop for the 2020-21 season January 13, we're now pleased to notify you of the automatic renewal of your subscription to the NHL.TV™ All Access Season Package, priced at USD $99.99. We'll take care of everything and there is no action required to continue your current subscription.

As stated in our prior email to you, unless you cancel your subscription before 11:59 PM ET on January 10, 2021, the payment card you have on file with us will be charged USD $99.99. Your subscription will continue to automatically renew each season at the then-current season's regular price unless cancelled.

Please note additional taxes, such as sales taxes, may apply in certain jurisdictions. Please contact the applicable taxation authority for details. In the event that we are unable to process charges to your primary payment card, we will charge the alternate card(s) saved in the Payment Profile section of your NHL.TV™ account. You can change your primary credit or debit card by adding a payment card here. Subscribers who purchase using a Discover card are eligible to receive a 10% discount off of the renewal price for the 2020-21 season. To receive this discount, you must have a Discover card on file as your primary payment card with us no later than 11:59 PM ET on January 10, 2021.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

I signed up for NHL.TV  because I thought I was in the Pittsburg Penguins viewing zone and I could get the Sabres .

I was wrong, I'm blacked out of both teams.

I asked for a refund.

Good lord.. talk about stretching the limits.  That's just stupid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.