The "Hocka" AKA "The Reverse Hurricane" — celebrating victory BEFORE the game?

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

It’s a grand tradition. Not sure why you make fun of it. 

How hard do you try to make sure no one knows what you're trying to say? Uncanny. Almost every post. It must come naturally.

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

The Haka is not a celebration. It is deeply rooted in Maori culture as a challenge gesture. Not something to make fun/light of.

Who made fun of it?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's wonderful that the cultural practice is being preserved and honoured.

The reaction of these NBA all-stars makes me chuckle:

And apparently it's not always a challenge?

Interesting. So there's precedent for what the Sabres are planning?

Also... NZ 101, NBAAS 79.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

How hard do you try to make sure no one knows what you're trying to say? Uncanny. Almost every post. It must come naturally.

Who made fun of it?

How about you F off 

is that more to the point? I’m actually telling you to F off.  Do you need google translator?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Do people here watch rugby?

Great spectator sport, IMO, incorporating some of the best elements of footballs brute force with hockey’s flow.

I say this about Australian Ruled Football.

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

The Haka is not a celebration. It is deeply rooted in Maori culture as a challenge gesture. Not something to make fun/light of.

Thanks for the reference.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

We mock what we don’t understand.  It’s what we do.

Sadly, there is a lot of truth to this.

Honestly, I find traditions like this invigourating.  It's like the handshake at the end of a playoff series in the NHL.

Let me turn this around: how do you think other countries reacted to the early Gatorade baths?  They thought it was nuts.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Who made fun of it?

So you know, I wasn't suggesting you were mocking it.  The thought never occurred to me actually.  My reply was merely a reaction to Spnd's question why it is mocked.

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

How about you F off 

is that more to the point? I’m actually telling you to F off.  Do you need google translator?

I often have no idea what you are trying to say.

And this post is unacceptable for a mod,… and yet completely in line with past mod behavior.

• Like (+1) 4

Seriously folks!

That period between the end of the anthems and the drop of the puck is just brutal. Guys milling around. Loud music being blared. The ref looking for his whistle/a puck/loose change on the ice.

Let's spice it up.

And maybe solve the notorious slow starts that somehow plague successive generations of Sabres. Make a group of mercenary out of towners into true Buffalo soldiers. Honor the brave Maorians.

It would be a tough sell for a conservative sport. I'm hoping what Carolina has done started the process of removing hockey sticks from butts.

Also — if NS is on board, I see no stopping it.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Great spectator sport, IMO, incorporating some of the best elements of footballs brute force with hockey’s flow.

Absolutely love it. Learned the game at 21 when I was stationed in Germany, played until I was 50, watch it every weekend. It's my favorite sport, love it more than hockey and football. You watch it?

12 hours ago, steveoath said:

Yup. and that would be why it would be impossible to try to use it. We'd have to back it up immediately. Can you imagine what happens if we did that and then somebody like Marchand scored the opening goal and we lost the game? We'd be  ridiculed league wide and the joke meme of the sportsworld. 

By the way, I think they lost this year. It was a big scandal down under.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

In my drinking days we would bring a keg to the games and watch... Geneseo had 4 kegs along the field for the players.  Never played but have a number for friends who did including my brother.   Also xrayed a few guys... dislocated shoulders and AC joints that you could drive a truck through, shoulders dropped so far down due those separations.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.