2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

i feel 90% confident that either Guenther or Beniers will be a Sabre next year.

I would venture to guess that most teams near the bottom would lean D over F, so its unlikely both are gone if Sabres draft 3rd. 

Am i wrong that CGY , LAK, NJD, DET, OTT and ANA  would look at Power as their #1 target? Detroit and Ottawa are the only ones i think there could be a debate about

29 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

i feel 90% confident that either Guenther or Beniers will be a Sabre next year.

I would venture to guess that most teams near the bottom would lean D over F, so its unlikely both are gone if Sabres draft 3rd. 

Am i wrong that CGY , LAK, NJD, DET, OTT and ANA  would look at Power as their #1 target? Detroit and Ottawa are the only ones i think there could be a debate about

Calgary: really needs a stud D prospect

LA: could use a stud D for sure and has a wealth of forwards

Det: just took Seider and Eklund makes so much sense for them, Beniers would also be an option because Steve Y is crafty

Ott: unlikely to go D but could. They took D in the first round in the last 2 drafts. Guenther and Eklund make a ton of sense for them. 

Anaheim: they have Drysdale but that's kinda it. With the wealth of LHD near the top, makes a ton of sense. 

I won't say they will look specifically at Power as their #1 target because Hughes and Clarke are going to be above Power on several boards. Simon Edvinsson is also a dark horse candidate to be rated above Power. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Det: just took Seider and Eklund makes so much sense for them, Beniers would also be an option because Steve Y is crafty

Ott: unlikely to go D but could. They took D in the first round in the last 2 drafts. Guenther and Eklund make a ton of sense for them. 

Anaheim: they have Drysdale but that's kinda it. With the wealth of LHD near the top, makes a ton of sense. 

I won't say they will look specifically at Power as their #1 target because Hughes and Clarke are going to be above Power on several boards. Simon Edvinsson is also a dark horse candidate to be rated above Power. 

Thanks!  Can I infer that you prefer Eklund to Guenther as a Sabre pick at this point?

Edited by Crusader1969

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Thanks!  Can I infer that you prefer Eklund to Guenther as a Sabre pick at this point?

No, I want Beniers. 

That said Guenther and Eklund would be great consolation prizes. 

Guenther currently rocking 23pts in 12 games. 

Guenther scouting report after only 4 games back in the WHL

https://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-guenther-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

He plays with an active stick and is good at being in position to start the breakout or receive a pass from his defensemen. He is not afraid to battle for the puck in the corners and does not shy away from physicality which is good to see.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What happened to BPA?

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

What happened to BPA?

As we constantly mention, the definition of BPA is dubious and clearly dependent on teams needs/wants. Let's use LA as an example, you have 3 centers and multiple wingers from the last few drafts. Now you find yourself drafting at #2... you have a forward ranked at 8.5 and a defender at 8 for overall talent. Not you factor in your need at that .5 difference doesn't bother you. BPA is a misnomer that does not account that "best" could mean "best fit" not simply the most talented. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

As we constantly mention, the definition of BPA is dubious and clearly dependent on teams needs/wants. Let's use LA as an example, you have 3 centers and multiple wingers from the last few drafts. Now you find yourself drafting at #2... you have a forward ranked at 8.5 and a defender at 8 for overall talent. Not you factor in your need at that .5 difference doesn't bother you. BPA is a misnomer that does not account that "best" could mean "best fit" not simply the most talented. 

I’ve said that for years.  Teams factor in position (aka need) always and have been roundly criticized for that opinion.  

BPA doesn’t exist and never has.  Each team has a list and they draft from it.  Each team’s list is unique and clearly some so a better job at crafting lists then others.  

I do a consensus list every year of 10-12 good writers on the net and have found it pretty effective at getting 22-25 of the first rd picks.  The list usually contains 45-50 guys who get at least 1 1st rd grade and all 50 tend to be drafted in the first 100 picks, but the order in which they are picked is hap hazard at best.  Some guys every year with a late consensus 1st rd grade slip in to the late 2nd and sometimes 3rd rounds.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve said that for years.  Teams factor in position (aka need) always and have been roundly criticized for that opinion.  

BPA doesn’t exist and never has.  Each team has a list and they draft from it.  Each team’s list is unique and clearly some so a better job at crafting lists then others.  

I do a consensus list every year of 10-12 good writers on the net and have found it pretty effective at getting 22-25 of the first rd picks.  The list usually contains 45-50 guys who get at least 1 1st rd grade and all 50 tend to be drafted in the first 100 picks, but the order in which they are picked is hap hazard at best.  Some guys every year with a late consensus 1st rd grade slip in to the late 2nd and sometimes 3rd rounds.  

Pretty sure I have always agreed with you that teams factor in position. 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Buffalo does an awful job with their list. But getting JJ Peterka intrigued me as it was very clever. 

https://dobberprospects.com/podcast/draftcast-31-taking-a-look-around-the-whl-with-joel-henderson/

fast forward to 35 min mark to hear a bit about Guenther. 

Here are a couple of his attributes:

"good in tough areas, good play maker, always a threat, size and smarts.

Not afraid to move into high traffic areas."   "jack of all trades but not just avg at all traits, he is really good at all of them" 

"not a guy who is a burner, he is a guy that is matching pace and manipulating pace" "comparable to Dylan Cozens, plays really hard, a guy you want in the playoffs" 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because you refuse to acknowledge something that does exist. You keep acting like the proof of there is no BPA is that teams have different values for what constitutes that BPA so how could there be a BPA if every team cannot agree on who is that player? BPA is not that every team and every writer agrees that X prospect is the best available but a team drafts Y prospect because they have a positional need. It is that a team has a decision between X prospect and Y prospect and although they have a hole at a specific position, they choose X prospect because they have him rated much higher; X prospect likely fell because teams do, for most of the time, draft out of need. Can another team in that position have, say, Z prospect rated higher than X prospect, and still draft Z prospect over Y despite also having a positional need? Of course. They are still drafting BPA, it's simply to who they believe is the BPA.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is the mid 20’s prospect that slips to the Sabres at the top of the 2nd rd like JJP did last year?  My money right now is on Wyatt Johnson who apparently has grown two inches but hasn’t played a game this season.  

Still haven't gotten that far. However another name to watch... it's like Nick Robertson-esque

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.