2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

no offence to Austin but if Bob McKenzie has 10 scouts all ranking Power at #1 and a guy from a website having him #6. I'm going with the scouts.

A room full of NHL scouts thought that Jack Quinn was better than Marco Rossi so I am not going with the scouts. 

Well not outright with the scouts. Gotta collect all the info. 

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

no offence to Austin but if Bob McKenzie has 10 scouts all ranking Power at #1 and a guy from a website having him #6. I'm going with the scouts.

Even better is to see what both have to say, watch the players, and decide for yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Even better is to see what both have to say, watch the players, and decide for yourself.

i think Power is everything the Sabres need, him and Dahlin will play 45 mins a game between them on the left side and is more of a sure thing than anyone else in the draft. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

A room full of NHL scouts thought that Jack Quinn was better than Marco Rossi so I am not going with the scouts. 

Well not outright with the scouts. Gotta collect all the info. 

Maybe in the Sabres scouting department but did every scout that Bob surveyed have Quinn over Rossi?  That being said, Rossi hasn't played at all since the draft, way too early to say he will end up the better player

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

i think Power is everything the Sabres need, him and Dahlin will play 45 mins a game between them on the left side and is more of a sure thing than anyone else in the draft. 

Maybe in the Sabres scouting department but did every scout that Bob surveyed have Quinn over Rossi?  That being said, Rossi hasn't played at all since the draft, way too early to say he will end up the better player

That's just not true. Also being a sure thing really means 2nd pairing defender. I would rather gamble a little on a top 6 forward. 

I would guess almost every scout had Rossi over Quinn. If Rossi does not end up the better player I will be shocked and it will mean we finally found an outlier because Quinn would have to hit the 99th percentile of his ability to do it. It would be awesome. 

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"(i)ntentions on being pre-med?"  🤨

So, wtf was he majoring in this year?  Pre-law?  General studies?

Intentions of going to med school makes sense and can be impressive.  Intentions of going into pre-med, not so much.   (If this is strictly due to his transferring late to UofM from Haaaavaaaaad, then it isn't QUITE as egregious. 😉 )

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Intentions of going to med school makes sense and can be impressive.  Intentions of going into pre-med, not so much.   (If this is strictly due to his transferring late to UofM from Haaaavaaaaad, then it isn't QUITE as egregious. 😉 )

Having a step-kid going through it right now, dunno how UofM works specifically.  Some schools won’t let you into pre-med until you’ve taken certain requisite courses, applied and interviewed, then accepted into the program.  

Might be it.  Might also be nonsense, who can say?

Edited by Sabel79
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

That’s fine.  My point was just that the appeal to authority type of argument is not very convincing to someone who has reasons to doubt it.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Having a step-kid going through it right now, dunno how UofM works specifically.  Some schools won’t let you into pre-med until you’ve taken certain requisite courses, applied and interviewed, then accepted into the program.  

Might be it.  Might also be nonsense, who can say?

A lot of major universities that have a specific undergrad pre-med tract won't let you apply usually until halfway through your sophomore year and you go pre-med for junior and senior year after all your pre-reqs are done.

It works like that for other majors too. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

From the same article 

That said, it should be noted that Power’s No. 1 status on draft day is not an absolute lock. His mantle is not unassailable. Most of the scouts who ranked him first do allow for the possibility he could still be challenged for top spot and a name other than Power could be called out on July 23.

He is, however, the consensus favourite.

“I don’t know what percentage number you would want to put on it,” said one scout, “60, 70 per cent? I’m not sure. It’s certainly more than 50 per cent, but this is not a draft where there’s one dominant prospect who is the unquestioned No. 1 choice. I mean, it’s close enough between Power and the other top guys that you couldn’t rule out someone else. There are some defencemen who could still challenge him and if the team picking first overall this year really wants or needs a forward, well, there are a couple of forwards who could still be [viable options at] No. 1.”

• Like (+1) 1

60-70% you say? Huh imagine that, and yet I was yelled at repeatedly on this board about that for the last month. "He's the top pick liger, you just don't like him!"

Right... yea definitely wasn't me trying to inject reality into this conversation. 

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

60-70% you say? Huh imagine that, and yet I was yelled at repeatedly on this board about that for the last month. "He's the top pick liger, you just don't like him!"

Right... yea definitely wasn't me trying to inject reality into this conversation. 

If it’s that close, why was anything positive said about Power was “hype”?

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If it’s that close, why was anything positive said about Power was “hype”?

I don’t think that “anything positive” about Power was called hype.  Liger himself has said many positive things about Power.  I think it was several people saying, paraphrasing, that he was the no doubt #1 guy after the world championships.  That’s what was called hype

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think that “anything positive” about Power was called hype.  Liger himself has said many positive things about Power.  I think it was several people saying, paraphrasing, that he was the no doubt #1 guy after the world championships.  That’s what was called hype

Whoever we get, just better be good.

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

If he’s 60-70% (let’s split the difference and say 65%) it’s still pretty clear. The next prospect is probably somewhere between 10-20% and so on. Couple that with reports from Dreger and I believe LeBrun (or one other good reporter, Friedman?) that the belief is Buffalo is already locked in on Power and I think you have a recipe for poster confidence that Power will be the first pick. It’s not hype. It’s connecting the dots.

36 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If he’s 60-70% (let’s split the difference and say 65%) it’s still pretty clear. The next prospect is probably somewhere between 10-20% and so on. Couple that with reports from Dreger and I believe LeBrun (or one other good reporter, Friedman?) that the belief is Buffalo is already locked in on Power and I think you have a recipe for poster confidence that Power will be the first pick. It’s not hype. It’s connecting the dots.

Couple that with reports from 2 Canadian guys on the Power was Jesus at World's train. 

With word that the Hawks have entered the Eichel sweeps I think Dach and #11 OA have to be in the mix. (Hawks have the #12 pick but Arizona forfeits their pick which moves it up to #11.)

If that deal happened, who are some of the players at 11 people would be interested in?

I just think it is so hard to read this draft. I would put McTavish at the top of the list but I have a feeling he will be long gone by 11.  Could someone like Wallstadt be sitting there? I would role the dice on him there for sure.  I like the Russian centre, Svechkov, but I really don’t know what the Russian factor is with the Sabres. They avoid them like the plague. Probably a scorer like Lucius would be in the conversation.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

With word that the Hawks have entered the Eichel sweeps I think Dach and #11 OA have to be in the mix. (Hawks have the #12 pick but Arizona forfeits their pick which moves it up to #11.)

If that deal happened, who are some of the players at 11 people would be interested in?

I just think it is so hard to read this draft. I would put McTavish at the top of the list but I have a feeling he will be long gone by 11.  Could someone like Wallstadt be sitting there? I would role the dice on him there for sure.  I like the Russian centre, Svechkov, but I really don’t know what the Russian factor is with the Sabres. They avoid them like the plague. Probably a scorer like Lucius would be in the conversation.

A couple LW/C power forward type possibilities in Mason McTavish and Cole Sillinger.

2-way C Aatu Raty, who was a favorite to go 1OA a year ago, but had a disappointing season.

Speedster RW Fabian Lysell who has shown elite flashes but not the consistency to go with it.

Goal scoring C Chaz Lucious

Wallstadt if he is there.

A D, but LD Carson Lambos was highly ranked to start the year but had a bit of a rough season.

If any of Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, Clarke, or Hughes is still available I would say they must be the pick.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Couple that with reports from 2 Canadian guys on the Power was Jesus at World's train. 

It was probably the part where he turned the celebratory champagne into water so he could legally drink it.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.