2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

Beniers just seems perfect fit for the system Granato is running with the young guys. For those who follow this stuff, how far out is he from the NHL?

I would picture him on something of a Dylan Cozens time line.  Probably one more year in college then NHL ready, maybe he spends some time in the AHL first.  Good thing about him is that because he competes so hard and plays a 200 ft game, he could play up and down the lineup if he isn’t quite ready for a full time top-6 role.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Stylistically, in large part because of his size and position, Power gets compared a lot to Tampa Bay Lightning defenceman Victor Hedman, who went No. 2 overall, behind John Tavares in the 2009 NHL draft. It’s a fair comparison so long as it comes with this qualifier from another NHL scout: “He does look and play like Hedman but if you were comparing [Power] to Hedman at the same age in his draft year, Hedman would be better [than Power] in pretty much every facet of the game.”

Beniers or Guenther please 

I agree. 

I still think it’d be interesting to see them take Beniers if he ends up ranked 4th or 3rd in most of these, if we do have the #1 pick. I’m not saying it’s not the thing to do, he’s probably at the top of my list, just that it’d be uncommon if you look at past drafts. 

Hopefully they aren’t part of this Power consensus 

edit @Hoss ya - that’s kinda what I mean. If a solid consensus develops, or at least a consistency of rankings, a team may feel the pressure to take him along with whatever evaluation they have 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

The odds of drafting a LHD with their first pick has to be fairly low.  Gotta think Dahlin, is going to be 25 mins a game soon and should hold the top pair LHD spot for next decade 

If you believe Cozens, Mitts and Jack are the centers for the next 5 years at least.  Who’s more likely a top 6 winger, heavy on the forecheck, fast and skilled -Beniers or Guenther ? 

Generally teams would claim to draft “BPA” here, aka most talented player regardless of position, but I’m sure teams do factor in positional need to a certain degree depending on the team. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Same guy that said Dylan cozens doesn't have a high hockey IQ level or skill .

McKenzie doesn't generally share his opinions on prospects, so I'm going to need a source for this one.

What he does is report the opinions of actual NHL scouts on prospects. In Cozens' draft year he reported scouts were saying big, strong, competitive, fast and skilled, but his IQ and playmaking ability might drop him out of the top 4 or 5.

Which was absolutely correct.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

McKenzie doesn't generally share his opinions on prospects, so I'm going to need a source for this one.

What he does is report the opinions of actual NHL scouts on prospects. In Cozens' draft year he reported scouts were saying big, strong, competitive, fast and skilled, but his IQ and playmaking ability might drop him out of the top 4 or 5.

Which was absolutely correct.

Yeah McKenzie doesn’t scout or give his personal opinions. He just reports what the NHL scouts say. The scouts weren’t down on Cozens they had him ranked above where Sabres took him.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Same guy that said Dylan cozens doesn't have a high hockey IQ level or skill .

McKenzie doesn’t write the scouting reports or rank the players.  He is sharing what NHL scouts have told him.

His sample of 10 NHL scouts ranked Raty at 20.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.