2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Owen Power, exactly like Hedman if you ignore skills and focus on size and position. 

If you didn't know, Owen Power is tall. Tall = good in a lot of scouts eyes. 

To be fair, it’s the size + skating combination, along with his undeniable puck skills that make him a great prospect with a very high ceiling.

The question is, evaluation of his overall skill set and how well you think he will develop.  It’s not a question of if Power is a good prospect, he is, it’s whether he is should go #1?  Top-5?  Top-10?

Tyler Myers is really big with really good skating and good puck skills.  Will Power be more than that?

Edited by Curt

The odds of drafting a LHD with their first pick has to be fairly low.  Gotta think Dahlin, is going to be 25 mins a game soon and should hold the top pair LHD spot for next decade 

If you believe Cozens, Mitts and Jack are the centers for the next 5 years at least.  Who’s more likely a top 6 winger, heavy on the forecheck, fast and skilled -Beniers or Guenther ? 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that if you are big and can skate they just assume the rest will fall into place. Power has skill but I think Luke Hughes simply has more and in a more interesting way deploys those skills. Power has a cannon shot and is a good passer but his D zone awareness just keeps giving me pause and maybe I will be wrong on that. It just makes me worried when I don't see what I want on tape and then just hear about his size constantly. 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

The odds of drafting a LHD with their first pick has to be fairly low.  Gotta think Dahlin, is going to be 25 mins a game soon and should hold the top pair LHD spot for next decade 

If you believe Cozens, Mitts and Jack are the centers for the next 5 years at least.  Who’s more likely a top 6 winger, heavy on the forecheck, fast and skilled -Beniers or Guenther ? 

Guenther is really good. I like Beniers a little more but if they took Guenther I would understand. I think Guenther might have more skill but I think Beniers is more clever in the deployment of his skills. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I would be stunned if Buffalo picked Power at #1. 

I think this is just you talking yourself out of it. He’s been projected one everywhere for years. The point above about Dahlin being a LHD who will log big minutes is valid but Power seems to have separated from the pack for a while.

Just now, Hoss said:

I think this is just you talking yourself out of it. He’s been projected one everywhere for years. The point above about Dahlin being a LHD who will log big minutes is valid but Power seems to have separated from the pack for a while.

Literally not true. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think you go Beniers as it’s easier to move a center to wing, than vice versa 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

He’s the only name I’ve seen consistently ranked one. There are some of those random mock draft websites that don’t have him one.

You said "years" and as discussed in this very thread, Aatu Raty was projected first overall last summer. 

Also I have seen several rankings that do not have him #1. FC, McKeen's, Elite, Dobber all do not have Power #1. 

Doesn't really look like vaulting over a few teams is going to hurt the Sabres much from a practical point of view considering so many players are so close.

From a "because Buffalo" point of view, you know they will drop to 4th and the only guy who would make me really excited  — Beniers — goes third.

Edited by dudacek

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Doesn't really look like vaulting over a few teams is going to hurt the Sabres much from a practical point of view considering so many players are so close.

From a "because Buffalo" point of view, you know they will drop to 4th and the only guy who would make be really excited  — Beniers — goes third.

If they finish in last place, they can only drop to #3. Silver lining?

It all depends on if they trade Jack and if they do, I'll take this guy.....no flash and all compete is exactly what this team needs on the ice.

Matthew Beniers's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - : "The gaudy point totals won’t likely follow, but he has a ton of translatable skills. Speed and transitional effectiveness to burn."

Dylan Griffing Dobber Prospects - Feb. 3rd: "His creativity, elusiveness, and all-around smarts make him a dangerous player every time he steps in the offensive zone, with or without the puck. The one aspect that Beniers gets critiqued for is that he isn’t a very flashy player, but it clearly is not hindering his game in the slightest."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "The 18-year-old left-handed shot can get to top speed quickly. Beniers helped the United States win the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship as the youngest player on the roster; he was the center on the second line, scored three points (one goal, two assists) and averaged 17:05 of ice time in seven games."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - Jan. 21st: "Beniers is a possession fiend who has all the offensive tools you would want in a premier prospect, but he plays the game at a fast pace and provides his coach with the useful mix of physicality and tenacity off the puck. If you haven’t had the chance to see him play, you’re certainly missing out, as Beniers sets the standard for both high motor and effort from start to finish."

Craig Button - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Great example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Very smart with good skill. Plays everywhere on the ice and in all situations. Makes his teammates team better."

Bob McKenzie - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Because he’s playing such a strong two-way game for the Wolverines, his star is most definitely ascending. Scouts are currently projecting him as an NHL second-line centre."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "Honest player with a motor that never stops. Freshman who has already earned the trust of Michigan’s staff."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "Beniers does not dazzle with elite speed and skill. His game lacks flash, but his game also has very few holes. He will become a fan and coach favorite because of his elite competitiveness."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Beniers doesn’t wow you like the other forwards in this range are capable of, which prompts questions about whether he projects as more of a second-line forward than first-line one. But he has produced everywhere he has ever played in line with the best players of his age group, he’s making the early jump to college, and I expect him to have an immediate impact even if he doesn’t put up gaudy numbers."

Clare McManus - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "A 200-foot player who can play physical or produce offensively. He is an explosive skater with strong edgework and mobility. With that he can beat defenders in one-on-one situations, but also use his skating to create space for himself, which makes it easy to see his available options."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

Beniers just seems perfect fit for the system Granato is running with the young guys. For those who follow this stuff, how far out is he from the NHL?

I don't think he has a high calling at all but will be good a good 2 way center at the next level. 

Wouldn't be  Surprised if he started in the nhl on the 3rd line beacuse of  Defensive skills

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Beniers just seems perfect fit for the system Granato is running with the young guys. For those who follow this stuff, how far out is he from the NHL?

I imagine he goes back to Michigan for a season, than time in the AHL. About 18-24 months from the NHL I imagine 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.