2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is why you don't trade Eichel. 

We should trade one. 

Personally, I wouldn't re-sign Hall for more than 3 years if at all, he's not bringing a lot. 

Agree.

I don't think I sign him at this point honestly. He's going to want at least a few years and he's not gonna take like sub 5 mil right

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

I want see him with a body on him in the corners absorbing a hit and coming out.  Nice shot but he has way too much space that wont happen in NHL

He creates space. 

Never fear though, Draft Season has just started so for some guys this is first look. Eklund just jumps out the second you look. 

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh but not with a tough physical body drapoed on him... not saying he cant just didnt see it in highlights

SHL highlights are always hard to judge something like that because the league doesn't necessarily play that way and there is more ice. I think his skating and hands are good enough to deal with it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

If you want to wait 2 years you can take Kent Johnson. He needs another year of college and then a year of the AHL to really build his body. 

Wolverines associate head coach Bill Muckalt on Johnson: “Kent is uber skilled. It’s hard for me to give an honest assessment of the other players but I would have a hard time believing there’s anybody more skilled offensively than Kent Johnson in this draft. The ***** he does offensively, you only see it once every four or five years. But he’s physically the least mature of our freshman as far as our strength and he’s playing against guys some nights that are seven-to-eight years older, so it makes it difficult on him.

https://theathletic.com/2392340/2021/03/03/nhl-draft-2021-midseason-ranking-power/

You can see it in his legs here. This is a great play and his skating is good but you get that bambi legs feeling a little bit. He's making pushes that his legs really aren't strong enough for yet. I think there's more speed and power hidden in there. 

• Like (+1) 1

This might the first draft I say this... if you can trade that 1st rounder for a player that is a needed position and under 23, I probably consider it. 

So your 1st for player and a 2nd in 2022. That under 23 player would have to be very good though which makes this type of trade unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This might the first draft I say this... if you can trade that 1st rounder for a player that is a needed position and under 23, I probably consider it. 

So your 1st for player and a 2nd in 2022. That under 23 player would have to be very good though which makes this type of trade unlikely. 

If YOU are saying this, I shall *happily* continue touting my "trade it" stance. 

Most excellent 

They should trade it now while it still has a chance to be the first overall pick to maximize the return. I'd take that value over the what, 15% chance we win the lottery, and get even better value on it in the trade? I'm not really afraid to "lose" the top pick if our number comes up after trading the pick.

1, we are already a laughing stock, and 2, with it not being a strong draft I'd be especially happy this year getting that young player back, and maybe we get a 1st at the deadline. This should be the type of draft you can find good relative value later in the 1st if you know what you are doing, due to the crapshoot nature mentioned where not everyone has the same stack of info. 

I keep coming back to Eklund. That kid is a chaos generator. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If YOU are saying this, I shall *happily* continue touting my "trade it" stance. 

Most excellent 

Know that the list of players I would trade this for is very small. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They should trade it now while it still has a chance to be the first overall pick to maximize the return. I'd take that value over the what, 15% chance we win the lottery, and get even better value on it in the trade? I'm not really afraid to "lose" the top pick if our number comes up after trading the pick.

1, we are already a laughing stock, and 2, with it not being a strong draft I'd be especially happy this year getting that young player back, and maybe we get a 1st at the deadline. This should be the type of draft you can find good relative value later in the 1st if you know what you are doing, due to the crapshoot nature mentioned where not everyone has the same stack of info. 

Trade it to Carolina for Seth Jarvis. 

Actually if you can work out a trade with Carolina for the 1st and a player for Jarvis and something it makes sense as Carolina could really use a high end defender in the pool. Carolina drafting makes me envious. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This draft is light on forward talent for sure. We might be better off looking at defenders. A RHD wouldn't be a bad add. 

Only RD who might be worth taking in lottery is Brandt Clarke though, right?  And he is an offense first D.

Personally, I would go with any position. This draft is strong in LD, so it won’t bother me if they take another LD.  I wouldn’t even rule out the goalie.

Edited by Curt

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

Only RD who might be worth taking in lottery is Brandt Clarke though, right?  And he is an offense first D.

Personally, I would go with any position. This draft is strong in LD, so it won’t bother me if they take another LD.  I wouldn’t even rule out the goalie.

I'd go with the best player because you can find defenders outside of the top 10 with consistency. Again, if you can get a Seth Jarvis, trade the pick. 

When we look at prospects there is a reason some guys stick out to me even if they are ranked lower. I typically look at primary points as well as overall points. This is in an effort to see who might be driving the scoring for a team. After I get that list of names, I look at scouting reports (several) and try to get a sense of what the player is. If I see questions of skating or effort I slide them a little (not in the rankings just in my order of interest). After that is done I find as much video as possible and see if I agree with the scouts. That is how you find a player like Seth Jarvis. Jarvis was scoring at a clip last year that rivaled our beloved Cozens while being a year younger. On top of that all the reports talk about his skating and work ethic being good. When you go to the video, he jumps out as a guy create in various different ways. Carolina drafted him 13th overall and he may end up one of the top 5 players from this draft class. I put this in here to give insight into what I look for but others can look for whatever they want. 

Seth Jarvis, C, Carolina – Jarvis stood out in brief AHL action. He’s an excellent skater with a high skill and compete level who showed his game could translate to pro hockey as a 19-year-old. He was the AHL’s leading scorer when he was sent back to the WHL. There was a consensus top tier of the undersized forwards in the 2020 draft and Jarvis was right outside it going at No. 13 to Carolina. It’s a small sample of games but more scouts of late think Jarvis belongs in the same tier of that group in light of how he looked last season and building off it in his great AHL stint.

https://theathletic.com/2434959/2021/03/09/new-york-rangers-lafreniere-nhl-draft-stutzle-byfield/?source=emp-shared-article

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh yea I forgot about Beniers. He's fun. 

Idk why I blanked on him yesterday but in fairness to Beniers I went and found some stuff on him. 

He intrigues me. There isn't some fancy skill that he has but he just seems to always drive the play. I don't think his stickwork is dynamic, his shot is good, his skating looks really good, and his hockey sense (particularly positioning) is really good. What I found interesting is that you seems to always be around the play and he clearly works hard 200ft, something the Sabres desperately need. I think Eklund has more talent but Beniers is bigger and a center so you could probably convince a scouting department he's better. 

Eklund and Beniers are my two forwards currently. Both have that "thing" that jumps out at me. That thing is they are always around the puck and driving the play. Sometimes you only get highlights but you can find games or shift by shifts, and you see the guy and he isn't in the play until at the end he gets a pass and takes a shot. That's great and I love that but especially in a shift by shift sometimes you notice they are just there with a good shot and not as awesome as you thought or they miss a shot and don't have their head buried trying to get back and retake the puck. Beniers and Eklund though, always around the puck, driving plays, backchecking hard, fighting. Fighting here means battling to win, the grit that I want is that. I don't need hits or real fights, I need that desire to impose your will on the other team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.