2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

From reading that (and one or two other pages that looked forward to next years draft), there doesn't seem to be anything even close to 'generational' talent, or even someone who can be an impact player right away.  At this point doesn't look like anyone a team would want to 'tank' to get.

Correct.  No Eichel, Matthews, Dahlin.  Maybe not even a Lafrenierre.

For teams looking for D though, there are a bunch of high quality D prospects who will go in the top 20.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:45 PM, mjd1001 said:

From reading that (and one or two other pages that looked forward to next years draft), there doesn't seem to be anything even close to 'generational' talent, or even someone who can be an impact player right away.  At this point doesn't look like anyone a team would want to 'tank' to get.

So, for once, the Sabres seem to have timing down well?  (Meaning they should finally not stink when there's nobody worth even considering stinking to obtain.)

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/edge/article/prospects-report/power-2021-draft

Owen at D if Sabres pick top 4.  Maybe And trade Jack for another center and picks? 

Maybe if Sabres can get 3-4 number 1s for Jack and a couple 2s so they can rebuild the team.  Draft a couple goalies... consider Dhalin, Sam and Hall as trades for picks and do a complete rebuild... fire coach.  I want hard working talented guys who dont sulk and play with a tude.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe if Sabres can get 3-4 number 1s for Jack and a couple 2s so they can rebuild the team.  Draft a couple goalies... consider Dhalin, Sam and Hall as trades for picks and do a complete rebuild... fire coach.  I want hard working talented guys who dont sulk and play with a tude.

We just can’t build through the draft again, we don’t have the time. We needed to begin the first rebuild by aggressively pursuing young goaltending and young defensemen as they take the most time to develop. We didn’t do that and we don’t have four years to wait to try this again. There’s a strong chance a D is our pick this year based on the class, but this is a pretty weak class anyway. 

Just now, #freejame said:

We just can’t build through the draft again, we don’t have the time. We needed to begin the first rebuild by aggressively pursuing young goaltending and young defensemen as they take the most time to develop. We didn’t do that and we don’t have four years to wait to try this again. There’s a strong chance a D is our pick this year based on the class, but this is a pretty weak class anyway. 

Agreed. 

Plus, if we do try and build through the draft (which we should have done 5 years ago) we'll screw that up anyways.

12 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Oh I dont want to have to but so disappointed by this team, I'm almost at the point that I dont care... and Jack's snowflake attitude is killing me.  His bi- polar nature makes me wonder about his long- term viability

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Any Eichel trade is going to be primarily built on salary and cap hit. The other team has to give us back anywhere from $5-10M in salary and that limits the picks. Just like GMs don't ever offer up 4 1sts with a max RFA offer (well, not since Vanek), they're not going to trade just future cheap contracts for Eichel.

More of a: really good NHL player, top prospect, a washed up NHL player strictly for salary purposes, and a 1st and 2nd, with Buffalo sending some picks for balance.

PLD (disgruntled 1 year, then RFA) netted Laine (disgruntled RFA now) and Roslovic (local kid and not gruntled), plus Laine had salary retention. Only a few picks were involved.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Any Eichel trade is going to be primarily built on salary and cap hit. The other team has to give us back anywhere from $5-10M in salary and that limits the picks. Just like GMs don't ever offer up 4 1sts with a max RFA offer (well, not since Vanek), they're not going to trade just future cheap contracts for Eichel.

More of a: really good NHL player, top prospect, a washed up NHL player strictly for salary purposes, and a 1st and 2nd, with Buffalo sending some picks for balance.

PLD (disgruntled 1 year, then RFA) netted Laine (disgruntled RFA now) and Roslovic (local kid and not gruntled), plus Laine had salary retention. Only a few picks were involved.

If you are moving Jack, I'll even take slightly less if you can get the other team to take Skinner also.  Long term, his contract is going to be a problem for this team for YEARS. He is under contract for 7 more years (including this year) at $9mil per year, and what kind of player will be at 33, 34, and 35 years of age when he has been playing the way he is lately at 27 and 28?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hmm you are probably right... would rather they fix Eichel whatever that entails.. therapy.. leadership classes etc... new coach...but if it is going to happen then do it stop piddling around.

• 2 weeks later...

I was skeptical of this draft class going into this year and now with their screwed up development it is even more of a ***** show. If the NHL were smart they would use this year to drop the draft age to 19 and have a big draft next year but that makes too much sense. Anyways here are some rankings. 

https://theathletic.com/2392340/2021/03/03/nhl-draft-2021-midseason-ranking-power/?source=emp_shared_article

On 2/18/2021 at 6:02 AM, #freejame said:

I disagree with the rebuild idea. We have to have the time because this core is rotten and I'm tired, like many fans, of waiting for these guys to step up. Get rid of them before they ruin Cozens too. 

It will however, be a difficult year to assess talent properly and some gambling will occur. I'd trade for more top prospects than picks in the rebuild idea. You make a deal with Florida for example you get one of their goalie prospects, Byfield if LA, things like that. Players closer and more likely to be something. key factor would be trade for character guys like Cozens and not talented floaters. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.