Will temp realignment cause more fighting?

I-90 W

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sure it’s just not what happens currently 

If the opposition doesn't respond to dirty play with hard checks and tougher play then that's their issue and problem. If the team is too soft then roster changes are needed. Soft teams don't win in the NHL. Hooligan teams also don't win because they lack the discipline to be a winning team. Being a tough team has little to do with fighting.  

7 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Including when it’s checking from behind, into the boards? An open ice caruba collision doesn’t exactly send the same deterrent factor.

I’m a big IIHF fan, but let’s face it... the NHL is more physical. 

The problem with the checking from behind, slashing, boarding...is it is not penalized enough. Get tougher on the penalties...and fines...and the stuff will stop.

The union doesn't like the fines because it takes players money away?  Well, how about this...increase the fines by quite a bit for that...but at the end of the year the money goes right back to the players....all the players who do not commit any offenses like that get to split the fine money equally.

Same goes for suspensions. Start handing out 15 game suspensions..or more.  The team still has to 'pay' that players salary but it doesn't go to that player..it goes into the same pot that gets distributed back to the rest of the players in the NHL who weren't suspended at all. I would think the vast majority of the players would be for that change.

Edited by mjd1001

34 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The problem with the checking from behind, slashing, boarding...is it is not penalized enough. Get tougher on the penalties...and fines...and the stuff will stop.

The union doesn't like the fines because it takes players money away?  Well, how about this...increase the fines by quite a bit for that...but at the end of the year the money goes right back to the players....all the players who do not commit any offenses like that get to split the fine money equally.

Same goes for suspensions. Start handing out 15 game suspensions..or more.  The team still has to 'pay' that players salary but it doesn't go to that player..it goes into the same pot that gets distributed back to the rest of the players in the NHL who weren't suspended at all. I would think the vast majority of the players would be for that change.

I can get on board (pardon the pun) with this. Something has to give. 

46 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Why not give it to the person who was at the other end of the penalty?

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the opposition doesn't respond to dirty play with hard checks and tougher play then that's their issue and problem. If the team is too soft then roster changes are needed. Soft teams don't win in the NHL. Hooligan teams also don't win because they lack the discipline to be a winning team. Being a tough team has little to do with fighting.  

None of which I disagree with.  The issue is that perfectly legal, clean hits are met with the ferocity of someone who just committed murder on the ice.  

Would love it if these games are played with more of an emotional investment... where players develop a genuine dislike for each other.

It's how hockey used to be played, before it turned into a skills competition.  

With more emotion, comes more fighting, bring it on!

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/17/2020 at 4:38 PM, pi2000 said:

Would love it if these games are played with more of an emotional investment... where players develop a genuine dislike for each other.

It's how hockey used to be played, before it turned into a skills competition.  

With more emotion, comes more fighting, bring it on!

I'm all for more emotion, but what I would look for is having it without fighting.  An end-to-end game....back and forth scoring.....players going by the opposing bench or pointing at the opponent after scoring a big goal.  To me more often than not when a fight happens, it breaks up the flow of a good game.

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

I still like watching the rare occasions when two legit hockey players drop the gloves out of pure emotion. I hope that stays in the game. 

I hate watching two enforcers that can't play hockey dropping them in a preplanned manner. I'm glad that's gone from the game now.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

10 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I still like watching the rare occasions when two legit hockey players drop the gloves out of pure emotion. I hope that stays in the game. 

I hate watching two enforcers that can't play hockey dropping them in a preplanned manner. I'm glad that's gone from the game now.

I actually loved that. Knowing at some point Ray and Domi were gonna go at it - just not knowing when. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I actually loved that. Knowing at some point Ray and Domi were gonna go at it - just not knowing when. 

Ya, I was good with that too, still am, but I did hate the short era where the enforcers were doing the staged prearranged bouts and they'd toss their helmets and equipment and circle like two boxers in a ring. That started to look pretty stupid imo. I'm not a big fan of the legal check payback fight either. Maybe when they go for your stars, but not every good hit needs a fight. Spontaneous in the heat of the battle fights are the best, and even better if they're not between typical fighters. 

Back in the enforcer days, I always thought if I was a legit player and some goon took any liberties with me, I'd drop the gloves and plan to throw the biggest haymaker I could and then turtle whether I hit or missed. I really don't think there'd be any shame in that since I was there to play hockey, he was just there to goon.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:18 AM, mjd1001 said:

I'm all for more emotion, but what I would look for is having it without fighting.  An end-to-end game....back and forth scoring.....players going by the opposing bench or pointing at the opponent after scoring a big goal.  To me more often than not when a fight happens, it breaks up the flow of a good game.

Terrible idea.  The last thing you want is taunting and ridiculous celebrations. This leads to bigger problems.  

Fighting is not the problem, the problem was what evolved - each team making room on their roster for guys who could not play and can only fight.  Each side trots out a goon (or two) that cannot play.   They fight, take each other off, and that’s it.  That was a waste.  

Real players skating hard and hitting can lead to fights, especially in a series of games.  So what, put them in the box and keep playing.  Find the players that can play hard and hit, and score, and will fight if they have to - those are the players that win.  

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Terrible idea.  The last thing you want is taunting and ridiculous celebrations. This leads to bigger problems.  

Fighting is not the problem, the problem was what evolved - each team making room on their roster for guys who could not play and can only fight.  Each side trots out a goon (or two) that cannot play.   They fight, take each other off, and that’s it.  That was a waste.  

Real players skating hard and hitting can lead to fights, especially in a series of games.  So what, put them in the box and keep playing.  Find the players that can play hard and hit, and score, and will fight if they have to - those are the players that win.  

Give me all of the taunting and showboating. 

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I'm not saying fighting is a problem..I'm saying I don't like it anymore. It can break up the flow of a good game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.