Will temp realignment cause more fighting?

I-90 W

36 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

With teams having to play each other so frequently, I’m thinking we will see an uptick in fighting in this shortened season.

Not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but it would make sense that this would happen. Lots of potential carry over.

Definitely see more scrums. Full fights I dunno. Maybe some short, tense rivalries which will be fun.

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not many teams are built for that anymore.  I think the ones that are may be able to use it to their advantage this season.

If nobody is built for it anymore then everyone is built for it now. Everyone gets fed up enough to fight someone after you play someone 8 times. Even better when you know there isn’t some goon on the other team. 

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If nobody is built for it anymore then everyone is built for it now. Everyone gets fed up enough to fight someone after you play someone 8 times. Even better when you know there isn’t some goon on the other team. 

Fighting is stupid. It aught to be banned out of the sport. There is no fighting in the Olympics and in the college ranks. And that elimination hasn't hurt the sport. Other than the pugilistic sports it is not allowed in other sports. Football, basketball, baseball and soccer don't allow it. And there is  plenty of contact in those sports. Concussions are now a concern for most sports. So why allow fighting when it increases the risk of head injuries? There is no longer a need for goon behavior in the sport. The Neanderthals in the sport and audience need to enter the modern world and find another activity to seek a vicarious thrill. It needs to be ended. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Fighting is stupid. It aught to be banned out of the sport. There is no fighting in the Olympics and in the college ranks. And that elimination hasn't hurt the sport. Other than the pugilistic sports it is not allowed in other sports. Football, basketball, baseball and soccer don't allow it. And there is  plenty of contact in those sports. Concussions are now a concern for most sports. So why allow fighting when it increases the risk of head injuries? There is no longer a need for goon behavior in the sport. The Neanderthals in the sport and audience need to enter the modern world and find another activity to seek a vicarious thrill. It needs to be ended. 

Let's get rid of checking too. Everyone gets a trophy also. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Disagree.  That sort of thing usually requires a certain..... temperament.  It's been bred out of the game so to speak. 

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you.  To me fighting can break up the flow of a game. We have heard over and over in the past when one team starts to dominate, it was the job of the 'enforcer' on the other team to start a fight to 'break that momentum'.  I don't get and and don't enjoy it anymore.  Even if the game itself is a boring game I would rather see a tream (or both) try to break out of it by skating, shooting...and sure a legal body check or two is fine.    I guess I say I have grown to like/watch hockey for the scoring, the skating, the great saves. If I want to see to guys punch each other, I have boxing or MMA where honestly the fights are a lot better in skill and quality than what you get in hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, I-90 W said:

With teams having to play each other so frequently, I’m thinking we will see an uptick in fighting in this shortened season.

Not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but it would make sense that this would happen. Lots of potential carry over.

Fighting is almost dead in this league.  Regular season games aren't played with the level of tenacity or sheer hatred that they used to feature routinely, even in the early 2000s.

The new code is I don't bother you, you don't bother me, together we have safe, prosperous, long careers.

The playoffs are still, thankfully, something different.

22 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Fighting is almost dead in this league.  Regular season games aren't played with the level of tenacity or sheer hatred that they used to feature routinely, even in the early 2000s.

The new code is I don't bother you, you don't bother me, together we have safe, prosperous, long careers.

They definitely still let them play in the playoffs, which is why a team still needs to be physical and have size. 

Still remember the embarrassment that was 2011 against the Flyers; they kept screening our net and there was nothing we could do about it.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with you.  To me fighting can break up the flow of a game. We have heard over and over in the past when one team starts to dominate, it was the job of the 'enforcer' on the other team to start a fight to 'break that momentum'.  I don't get and and don't enjoy it anymore.  Even if the game itself is a boring game I would rather see a tream (or both) try to break out of it by skating, shooting...and sure a legal body check or two is fine.    I guess I say I have grown to like/watch hockey for the scoring, the skating, the great saves. If I want to see to guys punch each other, I have boxing or MMA where honestly the fights are a lot better in skill and quality than what you get in hockey.

To add to what you are saying most of the fights are contrived in that the participants agree in advance to engage in this out dated foolishness. The charade is stupid.

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

To add to what you are saying most of the fights are contrived in that the participants agree in advance to engage in this out dated foolishness. The charade is stupid.

The question is will it increase, not how we feel about fighting. Though I suppose it was inevitable that this thread went in this direction. 

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

The question is will it increase, not how we feel about fighting. Though I suppose it was inevitable that this thread went in this direction. 

I don't think it will because in an abbreviated season you are vying for playoff spots with teams you are repeatedly playing. As like in the playoffs where fighting usually declines you don't want to put your team in a short handed situation because of a lack of discipline. What I also believe (opinion) is that the level of intensity will be more evident from the beginning of the season to the end because more teams will be bunched up competing for points in the standing. 

5 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

While I agree that playoff hockey is almost always more intense, and better hockey because of it, fighting actually decreases even further in the playoffs compared to the regular season.  And it’s still fantastic hockey without it.

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Haha, what do you want?  No one has an actual answer.

I’ll say maybe a little bit, but not too much.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, Weave said:

Disagree.  That sort of thing usually requires a certain..... temperament.  It's been bred out of the game so to speak. 

Unfortunately I agree the temperament has been bred out of the game.  That doesn't mean it is ineffective though, and if lower skilled teams start having success against higher skilled ones by having someone who's not afraid of missing a group text start hitting people with ill intent then we may see it bred back in.  I'm pretty sure this is what Dalton Smith wishes  before blowing out his candles every year...

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I got a better response: Throw a good body check back. 

Including when it’s checking from behind, into the boards? An open ice caruba collision doesn’t exactly send the same deterrent factor.

I’m a big IIHF fan, but let’s face it... the NHL is more physical. 

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Including when it’s checking from behind, into the boards? An open ice caruba collision doesn’t exactly send the same deterrent factor.

I’m a big IIHF fan, but let’s face it... the NHL is more physical. 

Fighting isn't a deterrent. It is more likely to put your team at a disadvantage. The rogue and undisciplined player who checks another player from behind is likely to be called for a penalty. Scoring on the PP is a more beneficial response. Fighting isn't allowed in the college game and the Olympics. It hasn't hurt their very entertaining games. Fighting is like a smokestack industry. It's out of date and irrelevant to today's game. Tough and hard nosed hockey has little to do with hooligan hockey. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.