Jack Quinn and Dylan Cozens make the Canadian WJC Roster; Ryan Johnson Makes US Squad; JJ Peterka makes German Team

Brawndo

So.. all the games will be on NHL Network is that right?  Because I think I need to plan on how I am going to get NHL network now.

Having your last two first rounders playing on the top line together on a squad made up of all first rounders cannot be a bad thing. If those two click it would provide some amazing potential for what the Sabres could look like in the near future.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LTS said:

So.. all the games will be on NHL Network is that right?  Because I think I need to plan on how I am going to get NHL network now.

Having your last two first rounders playing on the top line together on a squad made up of all first rounders cannot be a bad thing. If those two click it would provide some amazing potential for what the Sabres could look like in the near future.

Plus another 1st rounder and a high 2nd-rounder also playing in the tournament in Ryan Johnson and JJ Peterka.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/11/2020 at 1:06 PM, WildCard said:

Was Quinn expected to make it, or is this crazy impressive for his status?

I'm pretty impressed by him making it, my inference was it was slightly more unlikely than not - in a situation where not making it wouldn't be a mark against him (so deep). In that, it's a great sign. 

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Quinn is playing LW with Cozens and Dach during the first official practice 

Urgh the dreaded all-same-shot set-up for Cozens and Co..

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Do not let this idea anywhere near your brain. There's a big big difference between a guy who played fortnite in his spare time and one who works out with tractor tires. 

I don't think it's relevant re: Cozens. If anyone, it would be Quinn. He's the guy with the smaller sample size, kinda like Casey. But unlike Casey, even Quinn has 1, solid, more easily projectable/comparable development year. 

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Plus another 1st rounder and a high 2nd-rounder also playing in the tournament in Ryan Johnson and JJ Peterka.

It's interesting, if we are going to be in a situation where we have players willing and able to contribute, in a *significant* fashion, while on ELCs (Cozens, dare we say, Quinn?) it strengthens the argument for being a win-now team - having that flexibility is exactly what'll separate the contenders from the non. The forward remodel we saw, at least, fits that model to a "t". 

Ideally, these are the Jack Eichel years best maximized. If we can do it, we assuredly should. 

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's interesting, if we are going to be in a situation where we have players willing and able to contribute, in a *significant* fashion, while on ELCs (Cozens, dare we say, Quinn?) it strengthens the argument for being a win-now team - having that flexibility is exactly what'll separate the contenders from the non. The forward remodel we saw, at least, fits that model to a "t". 

Ideally, these are the Jack Eichel years best maximized. If we can do it, we assuredly should. 

This strikes me as the type of things pundits look back on and notice after a team emerges.

”I never thought (Cozens Quinn Johnson Jokiharju Peterka Mittelstadt Thompson Ullmark Samuelsson, Asplund, Ruotsalainen ) would all get good at the same time.”

And that’s because (Ristolainen, Girgensons, Larsson, Nylander Guhle Bailey Baptiste Fasching Peterson Cornel Karabacek Lemieux Hurley) never did.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This strikes me as the type of things pundits look back on and notice after a team emerges.

”I never thought (Cozens Quinn Johnson Jokiharju Peterka Mittelstadt Thompson Ullmark Samuelsson, Asplund, Ruotsalainen ) would all get good at the same time.”

And that’s because (Ristolainen, Girgensons, Larsson, Nylander Guhle Bailey Baptiste Fasching Peterson Cornel Karabacek Lemieux Hurley) never did.

I doubt we get close to all of those guys, but I will say the chances of as many as possible panning out will assuredly be helped by the roles they are being asked to fill being reasonable. It's always been about getting the roster stocked first - now that Cozens isn't *needed* to be 2C good, once he is - results in a situation where we are making up real, real ground. 

If we are actually a good team *without* the potentially early-achieving youngsters, their low cost production is exactly what could put us over the edge. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yes -- the next 3 years, while Eichel is at his peak, Dahlin is approaching his, either Hall or Reino is here and contributing a lot, and Cozens and hopefully at least 2 of Quinn, TT, Ruotsy and Mitts (and maybe Peterka) are cheap but valuable contributors, probably comprise the window in which they have the best chance to become a real contender. 

Holy mackerel I hope the goaltending doesn't pull them down.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Yes -- the next 3 years, while Eichel is at his peak, Dahlin is approaching his, either Hall or Reino is here and contributing a lot, and Cozens and hopefully at least 2 of Quinn, TT, Ruotsy and Mitts (and maybe Peterka) are cheap but valuable contributors, probably comprise the window in which they have the best chance to become a real contender. 

We REALLY need the taxi squad players to have to clear waivers because that will force AZ's hand and maybe somebody else too.  If the Sabres can upgrade Hutton (and that nearly guarantees it even though we might finally get lucky for once and see him shockingly stay healthy even getting every third start which would essentially upgrade him as well) they really should be top 4 even in the Division of DeathTM.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's where we are at. 

That window always come a little quicker than you'd think, too. 

When the Jets made it to the conference finals vs Vegas, they were perceived as a bit ahead of schedule - no, THAT was their best shot at it. Contracts get a little tougher, players get a bit older, other teams catch up..it's not that they can't win now but it's a much more uphill battle with an aging Wheeler making 8+, oft-injured Little on the books at 5+ for 4 more years, needing to pay Laine, etc etc. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We REALLY need the taxi squad players to have to clear waivers because that will force AZ's hand and maybe somebody else too.  If the Sabres can upgrade Hutton (and that nearly guarantees it even though we might finally get lucky for once and see him shockingly stay healthy even getting every third start which would essentially upgrade him as well) they really should be top 4 even in the Division of DeathTM.

What do you think the likelihood of this is?

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What do you think the likelihood of this is?

Good question.  I suppose one major factor is whether the owners think that the economic and operational upheaval should effectively give the teams the right to protect assets that they would've been required to expose in an ordinary-course season -- AND whether the players agree, since giving this point to the owners would mean less player freedom.

I can definitely see the owners trying to get this, and the players refusing, or negotiating it away in exchange for an economic concession.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Good question.  I suppose one major factor is whether the owners think that the economic and operational upheaval should effectively give the teams the right to protect assets that they would've been required to expose in an ordinary-course season -- AND whether the players agree, since giving this point to the owners would mean less player freedom.

I can definitely see the owners trying to get this, and the players refusing, or negotiating it away in exchange for an economic concession.

Cool. 

Nice thing is we'll know within a few weeks what the final roster looks like. I'd love to get a goalie so I can go from "always excited, cause it's Sabres hockey" to "hey, we may actually make the playoffs, ya know, for real, I'm stoked excited".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I'm pretty impressed by him making it, my inference was it was slightly more unlikely than not - in a situation where not making it wouldn't be a mark against him (so deep). In that, it's a great sign. 

From people here, it think the general feeling was that maybe he wouldn’t.  I think some of that was residue of the feeling that he was a reach at where he was drafted.

However, he is one of the top goal scorers available to team Canada, and I don’t think it can be stressed enough that the team Canada HC is his OHL HC.  He is the coaches guy.  He already knows and trusts Quinn.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

From people here, it think the general feeling was that maybe he wouldn’t.  I think some of that was residue of the feeling that he was a reach at where he was drafted.

However, he is one of the top goal scorers available to team Canada, and I don’t think it can be stressed enough that the team Canada HC is his OHL HC.  He is the coaches guy.  He already knows and trusts Quinn.

Believe it or not I'd say the general tone on Quinn is more positive here than the online world at large. 

But it's coming along and this is significant I'd say. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Believe it or not I'd say the general tone on Quinn is more positive here than the online world at large. 

But it's coming along and this is significant I'd say. 

Fair enough, I too have seen some pretty negative opinions on him as a prospect leading up to the draft.  I honestly do not seek out news regarding the WJC team Canada roster, so haven’t seen what sources have been saying about that, apart from what’s been posted here.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Fair enough, I too have seen some pretty negative opinions on him as a prospect leading up to the draft.  I honestly do not seek out news regarding the WJC team Canada roster, so haven’t seen what sources have been saying about that, apart from what’s been posted here.

Having familiarity with the coach certainly couldn't have hurt, a point you've made.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

I honestly think his coach would be harder on him than if  he weren't his player.

For expectations of effort & being in the right place at the right time, absolutely.

But for simply making the team, if it comes down to him & another player for a short tournament?  The coach takes his guy 99 times out of 100.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

For expectations of effort & being in the right place at the right time, absolutely.

But for simply making the team, if it comes down to him & another player for a short tournament?  The coach takes his guy 99 times out of 100.

It could be that they have been thinking of Quinn as the finisher with Cozens/Dach all along as well. Whichever player gets that spot is going to be in the spotlight for sure.

Edited by Ducky

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Cozens plays video games too.  You can play video games and still be a hard worker.

Apart from your misguided burn, I agree.  There seems to be a pretty clear attitude difference between the two.  Cozens’ dedication and work ethic appear to be top notch.

A burn for sure, misguided I think not. The difference between these two guys is like night and day. Unless Casey changes his attitude entirely he will not make this team or any other for any length of time despite his given talents. Cozens on the other hand will be an all star and team leader in a few years. I guarantee it. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think it unlikely, but if it does occur, what does that say about the scouting staff (and GM) who brought most of them in and the fact that they fired them all?

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it unlikely, but if it does occur, what does that say about the scouting staff (and GM) who brought most of them in and the fact that they fired them all?

I guess it says that the scouts were great but Botterill still wasn't a good GM?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.