Jack Quinn and Dylan Cozens make the Canadian WJC Roster; Ryan Johnson Makes US Squad; JJ Peterka makes German Team

Brawndo

Team Canada has 14 forwards. Every single one of them is a first rounder. Not sure if that's ever happened before for any team.

Cozens will one of the featured pieces. It will be interesting to see how Quinn fits in.

Just now, Ogelthorpe said:

I thought all teams were in a bubble already?

They go into the bubble Sunday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Was Quinn expected to make it, or is this crazy impressive for his status?

It wasn't a surprise or a given.

It is certainly not unusual for a top 10 pick to make Team Canada in the year following his draft year, but it's not a lock either.

Working against him was the fact that there was an unusually strong group of forwards available, including guys like Cozens and Dach who otherwise would have been in the NHL. Working for him was the fact that the head coach is his club team head coach, and the fact (that a lot of people seem to overlook) that he scored more goals last year than any other player in camp.

He was ranked as one of 10 or 12 players with a legitimate shot at 6-8 open spots.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is great news.  

I expect Cozens to be a top player for Canada.   I’m very pleased to see Quinn make this team and to see him pencilled into the first line and yes, I know that he may not hold that spot.  

I don’t spend time rating and reviewing junior players so this is encouraging.  Many internet GMs questioned our pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't read too much into the lines right now but it looks like Cozens is for sure playing center with Dach as his RWer. Says a LOT about Cozens playing center over Dach. Cozens is a future 1C and I am envious you guys have him. I think this line will dominate as soon as they find the LWer to complement them. The lines will probably be fluid, especially in the first few games. Their PP is going to be crazy. I expect Perfetti to be Quinn's LWer for the most part...maybe Mercer as the RW.

A lot of good players got cut. No shame in being cut from this team. I was surprised Lapierre got cut but they have a plethora of centers and and lots will be on the wing.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Must not get excited about World Juniors....

Must not get excited about World Juniors...

Remember Casey Mittelstadt....

Remember Casey Mittelstadt...

Do not let this idea anywhere near your brain. There's a big big difference between a guy who played fortnite in his spare time and one who works out with tractor tires. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Do not let this idea anywhere near your brain. There's a big big difference between a guy who played fortnite in his spare time and one who works out with tractor tires. 

Cozens plays video games too.  You can play video games and still be a hard worker.

Apart from your misguided burn, I agree.  There seems to be a pretty clear attitude difference between the two.  Cozens’ dedication and work ethic appear to be top notch.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ducky said:

I wouldn't read too much into the lines right now but it looks like Cozens is for sure playing center with Dach as his RWer. Says a LOT about Cozens playing center over Dach. Cozens is a future 1C and I am envious you guys have him. I think this line will dominate as soon as they find the LWer to complement them. The lines will probably be fluid, especially in the first few games. Their PP is going to be crazy. I expect Perfetti to be Quinn's LWer for the most part...maybe Mercer as the RW.

A lot of good players got cut. No shame in being cut from this team. I was surprised Lapierre got cut but they have a plethora of centers and and lots will be on the wing.

Good take here.  I’m excited about Cozens making the Sabres team this season and him spending time around a guy like Staal.   

What line he is on is less important than him seeing a veteran player, who’s name is on a Cup, go about his business.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Jack Quinn and Dylan Cozens make the Canadian WJC Roster; Ryan Johnson Makes US Squad
13 hours ago, Ducky said:

The lines will probably be fluid, especially in the first few games. Their PP is going to be crazy. I expect Perfetti to be Quinn's LWer for the most part...maybe Mercer as the RW.

Quinn isn't a center. There's a good chance he sticks with Dach and Cozens though. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn isn't a center. There's a good chance he sticks with Dach and Cozens though. 

McMichael might have something to say about that. He’s too good to be a 4th line centre.

That said McMichael Perfetti and Krebs is too good to be a 4th line. Zary Tomasino Byfield is just as good if Byfield wakes up. And the Newhook line will dominate as a relentless “checking” line that can score. Really, all of Canada’s lines would be the first line on pretty much any team in the tourney, other than the US. On paper, they might have four of the top 6-8 lines playing. Canada’s forwards are ridiculously deep and balanced.

Russia and the US have Askarov and Knight though, who can win a tournament on their own.

Interesting that Quinn seems to be playing the left side on his line.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

McMichael might have something to say about that. He’s too good to be a 4th line centre.

That said McMichael Perfetti and Krebs is too good to be a 4th line. Zary Tomasino Byfield is just as good if Byfield wakes up. And the Newhook line will dominate as a relentless “checking” line that can score. Really, all of Canada’s lines would be the first line on pretty much any team in the tourney, other than the US. On paper, they might have four of the top 6-8 lines playing. Canada’s forwards are ridiculously deep and balanced.

Russia and the US have Askarov and Knight though, who can win a tournament on their own.

They're looking for someone to click with Cozens and Dach.

I looked up Quinn and he was listed as a center? Apologies. He'd be a nice trigger man for Perfetti to be setting up though.

Canada has a scary good line up. Button says they won't lose a game and I agree. It'll sure be nice to watch some hockey.

Edited by Ducky

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good point about Byfield waking up, he would not have been picked if performance at camp was the only criteria. He was disappointing at last year’s tournament but he was 17 and a fourth liner.

Your thought on the goalies gave me a flashback of the ‘98 Olympics when Hayek stoned Canada in the semis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.