NHL Investigating placing ads on players helmets

Brawndo

17 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I never understood why companies pay for a lot of the ads that they do.  Like for instance, Tim Hortons on the boards?  Is anyone going to go to Tim Hortons because they saw it on the boards at a game?  Does it really even build brand awareness....because is there ANYONE watching a hockey game in those markets who don't know who they are already?  I don't know, they must be worth SOMETHING but I would think the money spent there could be better spent a lot of other ways.

The short answer is that yes.. they are effective.  The money spent there is just one aspect of an overall marketing budget. Most advertising these days isn't about reeling you in so much as staying relevant in a sea of advertisements and competition.  I don't go to Key Bank because their name is on the arena, but every time I refer to the arena I have to say their name.  It forces their brand into relevancy compared to other banks.

16 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I agree. But it’s psychology. Some people are more susceptible to advertisements on TV, on billboards, in Movies, on actors/actresses, in sports arenas etc ...

And some aren’t nearly that susceptible to the fish/hook routine. Ads aren’t made for those people. 

I can’t say I’m impervious to marketing campaigns. But after the age of child toy commercials while watching Tom and jerry or Heckle and Jeckle, I’ve felt most marketing campaigns don’t make me want to go out and buy a product. 
Now excuse me while I go look at Audi’s, Geico insurance rates, and Locate the nearest Burger King...

Indeed.  I don't buy into any of the "story" of an Audi commercial but every time I see one I see the style of the vehicle and it reminds me of how much it appeals to me. The good news is that I'm practical enough to know that 1) I cannot afford those cars outright and 2) the cost of maintenance on an Audi is also not something I can afford. However, for many people they only see the symbol of status and feel the need to buy it so they can be relevant, even if only in their own mind or closed social circle.

15 hours ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

Annoying distraction but $$ rules, some things never change

Very true. We are dominated by advertising. Our society runs on it these days. Every social media platform is advertisers dream. Political campaigns are not about substance they are advertising campaigns. People plan product placement with the precision of a brain surgeon to try and reach people who don't respond to in your face advertising. Social media influencers are everywhere, even when you think they are not. Media outlets write articles that mention brands and those are nothing more than paid engagements. Authors write books and they reach out to various brands to get some level of financial compensation so they can casually write in a paragraph that the lead character of the story used that brand.

The proliferation of advertising is expected as everyone pursues their own flavor of their American dream. As the noise in the room escalates everyone must shout louder to remain relevant. It's an escalating cycle that shows no signs of stopping.  We already have sports teams that are branded/owned by corporations. It's not real stretch to see more of it. It's the stuff that fuels the dystopian authors dreams of a future where corporations rule the world.  Although I'm not sure that those should be considered dystopian at this point.

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

What’s next? A garbage company sticker?

IMO, that's an example of ineffective arena advertising.  Putting MODERN all over the place, without indicating what the company does, does nothing to build awareness.  Same goes for Danforth on the shovels.

I was about 25 by the time I figured out that USF&G was an insurance company and not a sugar manufacturer.  (The Sugar Bowl was known as the "USF&G Sugar Bowl" for a long time.)

10 hours ago, ubkev said:

Who can make their on ice adds the best? Do we get Labatt to make the ice look like a nice cold can of blue? Would it look weird for the St. Louis Blues to be skating on a giant, red Budweiser can? Do they just put the Disney logo beneath the ice in Anaheim? Last I checked Tampa's great cultural contribution was strip clubs...I'm sure they could do something interesting there.

Calgary! That's the city to beat. Paint a frozen Lake Louise under the entire ice surface and over the boards and glass, then you green screen the crowd and cover them with the surrounding mountains. Sponsored by Alberta. Get those tourism dollars up!

Red Budweiser can on the ice, Blue ice  - hell no.   Just leave it alone and put the ads in the hockey program (magazine) or in other parts of the arena.  

The boards, the ice, the helmets, and the jerseys should represent the team and the city without having to sell something.

In Buffalo even the local sponsors come and go (Marine Midland, HSBC, Pilot, Dunn Tire, Rich, New Era).  

Every city has an identity and the team is part of it.  

I can't think of sports more steeped in a sense of tradition than Test cricket and golf.  Players in both wear advertising--even on national uniforms in Test cricket.

I don't like it, but it's silly to get upset about the inevitable.

Edited by Eleven

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Meh ... what’s the diff yo!

decd7-spa-pbc.jpg

5ef125706edac.image.jpg?resize=1200,965

😂

When the NHL look evolves to the Euro style, players looking like a billboard,  I will hate it.  

Bauer/CCM logos smartly added to the equipment that they actually make has been part of the hockey tradition.  All of that random clutter on jersey, pants, socks, and helmets is completely different and offensive to the my eyes and senses.   Yellow, green, red, and blue stickers all over the place 

Just one more change that I won’t like but will accept grudgingly.  

• Like (+1) 1

I dont thinknitbwould be the NHLs objective to turn the unis into ad sandwich boards. Here in Europe the reason is simple teams cannot survive without the ad revenue. For the Clan (eihl In UK) even that is not enough. Logos applied to unis in a similar manner to the ones already there, or like the nba vests, would not look terrible. Now... whether it will impact jersey sale revenue is another thing. How much to teams make from replica sales?

Ok, I don't get how seeing an ad for a product I am well aware of makes me want to buy it...but others have made the point that they see how it works.  BUT, when there are SO many ads...on the boards...behind the net, on helmets, the TV screens...once a person is exposed to literally dozens and dozens of ads every 30 seconds or so....at THAT point don't most people just start to tune them out?

I don't like them but I still notice them on the boards. However in the sport where they are all over (Soccer, Nascar, F1), I tune them out so much I can't even tell you what they were if I tried to remember them.

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, I don't get how seeing an ad for a product I am well aware of makes me want to buy it...but others have made the point that they see how it works.  BUT, when there are SO many ads...on the boards...behind the net, on helmets, the TV screens...once a person is exposed to literally dozens and dozens of ads every 30 seconds or so....at THAT point don't most people just start to tune them out?

I don't like them but I still notice them on the boards. However in the sport where they are all over (Soccer, Nascar, F1), I tune them out so much I can't even tell you what they were if I tried to remember them.

If it didn't work NASCAR would have died off long ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.