NHL Investigating placing ads on players helmets

Brawndo

tenor.gif?itemid=15175122

I’ll predict that if they allow advertising on helmets, within 5 years you’ll see jerseys and/or the face off circles will be completely filled in with ads. I mean it has been heading that way anyway for many years already. Seems like every other year they come up with a new way to advertise on the ice or within the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

I never understood why companies pay for a lot of the ads that they do.  Like for instance, Tim Hortons on the boards?  Is anyone going to go to Tim Hortons because they saw it on the boards at a game?  Does it really even build brand awareness....because is there ANYONE watching a hockey game in those markets who don't know who they are already?  I don't know, they must be worth SOMETHING but I would think the money spent there could be better spent a lot of other ways.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I never understood why companies pay for a lot of the ads that they do.  Like for instance, Tim Hortons on the boards?  Is anyone going to go to Tim Hortons because they saw it on the boards at a game?  Does it really even build brand awareness....because is there ANYONE watching a hockey game in those markets who don't know who they are already?  I don't know, they must be worth SOMETHING but I would think the money spent there could be better spent a lot of other ways.

Depends on the person and the add. 

If I see McDonald's, I want McDonald's. 

40 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree. But it’s psychology. Some people are more susceptible to advertisements on TV, on billboards, in Movies, on actors/actresses, in sports arenas etc ...

And some aren’t nearly that susceptible to the fish/hook routine. Ads aren’t made for those people. 

I can’t say I’m impervious to marketing campaigns. But after the age of child toy commercials while watching Tom and jerry or Heckle and Jeckle, I’ve felt most marketing campaigns don’t make me want to go out and buy a product. 
Now excuse me while I go look at Audi’s, Geico insurance rates, and Locate the nearest Burger King...

54 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There’s a psychology behind it. If people are bombarded with the images, some of them will want it. 

It’s not much different than record companies paying radio stations to play horrible songs. People hear the songs enough times, get familiar with them, then suddenly some crappy single has sold a million and is up for pointless awards. 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Hate the idea.  It’s a bush league move for a professional big 4 US sports league.

👎👎👎

NBA already started it a few years ago.

I think we have two options, just like our parents did when they put ads on the boards:

(1)  Get used to it; or 

(2) Stop following the NHL.

This is a "when" and not an "if."

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think we have two options, just like our parents did when they put ads on the boards:

(1)  Get used to it; or 

I think there's a balance, specifically with weighing the shame and stigma against revenue.  The NHL would do anything the NBA, MLB, and NFL would do to increase revenue, but the NHL watches the NFL the closest regarding anything to improve image.  It's noteworthy that MLB and NFL don't have ads on jerseys.  If both did, there'd be no hope that the NHL wouldn't do it.  But the NFL (which has plenty of commercial advertising time during games and leads in revenue) won't even sniff ads on jerseys.

But the NHL, with less commercial time and less revenue, could easily cave and look like ***** because dolla dolla bill y'all.

30 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think there's a balance, specifically with weighing the shame and stigma against revenue.  The NHL would do anything the NBA, MLB, and NFL would do to increase revenue, but the NHL watches the NFL the closest regarding anything to improve image.  It's noteworthy that MLB and NFL don't have ads on jerseys.  If both did, there'd be no hope that the NHL wouldn't do it.  But the NFL (which has plenty of commercial advertising time during games and leads in revenue) won't even sniff ads on jerseys.

But the NHL, with less commercial time and less revenue, could easily cave and look like ***** because dolla dolla bill y'all.

The bolded is true, but ironically the NFL took 2 very popular items from the NHL: awarding the conference championship & Superbowl tropies on the field & adding captain's C's to the unis.

Not even mentioning the whole idea of playoffs including non-RS champions was from hockey as well. 

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Well, you know exactly what it says on the boards, so obviously it worked very well. I would say that’s very effective advertising. 

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Hate the idea.  It’s a bush league move for a professional big 4 US sports league.

👎👎👎

I don't like it either, but the same sort of sentiments were pretty much all over when they copied the Euros and put ads on the boards. Eventually everybody got used to them and now nobody cares. It'll be the same with this. Uniforms will end up looking like nascar.

Wonder if it'll be league wide sales or local? Will it be ads for Budweiser or Buffalo Wing Kings?

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Bad precedent, could end up looking like the KHL on-ice product; ads literally everywhere. 

Tis inevitable

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I just pray it doesn't turn into a bloody Nascar uniform in 10 years.

5 years.  Or less.

13 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

There are now Nike swooshes on the front of every MLB jersey and nobody that I know is happy about it. 

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

(1)  Get used to it; or 

Yup. Soon as the NBA did this, and we moved to Adidas, I knew we were headed down this path. 

I cannot ***** stand it

Who can make their on ice adds the best? Do we get Labatt to make the ice look like a nice cold can of blue? Would it look weird for the St. Louis Blues to be skating on a giant, red Budweiser can? Do they just put the Disney logo beneath the ice in Anaheim? Last I checked Tampa's great cultural contribution was strip clubs...I'm sure they could do something interesting there.

Calgary! That's the city to beat. Paint a frozen Lake Louise under the entire ice surface and over the boards and glass, then you green screen the crowd and cover them with the surrounding mountains. Sponsored by Alberta. Get those tourism dollars up!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.