REPORT: Some NHL teams considering multiple outdoor games

PromoTheRobot

In an effort to accommodate fans at games. The Athletic says at least a dozen teams are considering it. Oddly Buffalo is reported to be in the 'no' camp.

Subscription required:

https://theathletic.com/2237361/2020/12/03/lebrun-nhl-outdoor-games?source=user-shared-article

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to REPORT: Some NHL teams considering multiple outdoor games
37 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Nope. People get that wrong all the time. Money is not the root of all evil. The love of money is.

That's pretty much implied in the quote.

43 minutes ago, Curt said:

Today, I got up and went to work.  A most evil act.

I assume you did it to support yourself and your family, if you have one. You didn't, in the process, put lives at risk so you could finish off that sweet superyacht.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Don't know why you would find that odd.  Indoor or outdoor there would be no fans in Buffalo.

Next, they're going to tell us that San Jose won't do it, either.

I can almost guarantee that the Rangers are against it, too, for two reasons:  no fans, and they lose their tax break.

Edited by Eleven

While I get the concept, this seems far-fetched.  I don't know the actual numbers, but I believe it is very expensive to pull off one of these outdoor games.  Plus, the weather is a major wild card.  Temps can fall well below freezing, but can also escalate and cause issues with maintaining the ice.  I recall one X-Mas in Buffalo when it was 62 degrees.

I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but perhaps the Sabres can host games at that relatively new outdoor venue near the river (Riverworks?).  (Yes, I'm joking).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That's pretty much implied in the quote.

I assume you did it to support yourself and your family, if you have one. You didn't, in the process, put lives at risk so you could finish off that sweet superyacht.

The owners of my company have lots of money, yet keep their business operating, thus allowing a bunch of people to keep working and supporting their families.

There are right ways and wrong, safe and unsafe, ways to do this.  Just look at the NBA/NHL compared to the NFL/MLB.  

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

The owners of my company have lots of money, yet keep their business operating, thus allowing a bunch of people to keep working and supporting their families.

There are right ways and wrong, safe and unsafe, ways to do this.  Just look at the NBA/NHL compared to the NFL/MLB.  

In this proposal to put thousands of people together in the worst of a pandemic, do you think the owners are motivated by a desire to employ ticket-takers, ushers and concession workers?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

In this proposal to put thousands of people together in the worst of a pandemic, do you think the owners are motivated by a desire to employ ticket-takers, ushers and concession workers?

I don’t know, or even care, what their motivations are.

I’m just saying that there are ways to have games, maybe even games with some fans, that would be pretty safe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.