Game changer: Personally set how you want your links to work

SDS

This is a little confusing. If "Take me to the beginning" is the default, does that mean if I click on any link (title of thread, circle or star, link to last post), I go to the beginning? That's apparently not the case, as the board links work the way they always did. Or do I have to hit Save to enact the default preference? And why would anyone always want to go the beginning?

I wouldn't blame a light board user for not knowing this, but we've always had the flexibility to go wherever we wanted. The thread title takes you to the beginning, the circle or star takes you to the first unread post and the time since the last post takes you to the latest post. (The circle and star do the same thing; the star indicates you've posted in the thread.)

Now someone can tell me I've been doing it wrong for lo these many years.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

This is a little confusing. If "Take me to the beginning" is the default, does that mean if I click on any link (title of thread, circle or star, link to last post), I go to the beginning? That's apparently not the case, as the board links work the way they always did. Or do I have to hit Save to enact the default preference? And why would anyone always want to go the beginning?

I wouldn't blame a light board user for not knowing this, but we've always had the flexibility to go wherever we wanted. The thread title takes you to the beginning, the circle or star takes you to the first unread post and the time since the last post takes you to the latest post. (The circle and star do the same thing; the star indicates you've posted in the thread.)

Now someone can tell me I've been doing it wrong for lo these many years.

That's what I understand, too, and it's easy...if I'm on my laptop or tablet.  If I'm on my phone, those little stars can be tough to hit.  This seems like a nice option for folks who access the site mainly by phone.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's what I understand, too, and it's easy...if I'm on my laptop or tablet.  If I'm on my phone, those little stars can be tough to hit.  This seems like a nice option for folks who access the site mainly by phone.

I did not do extensive testing, but if you’re a person who never starts older topics from the beginning and always reads from where they left off, I think most regular users fall in this category, then the title links can be made so you can go to the first unread post. And this is customizable, so no two people have conflicting user cases.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That makes sense. But how would you go to the first post (quickly) if you wanted to?

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So "Opening new content" refers only to the thread titles, not the latest post time or circles/stars. The wording should be more clear. "When clicking on thread title...

That seems to be the case.

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That makes sense. But how would you go to the first post (quickly) if you wanted to?

If the thread you are interested in is a multiple thread, click the "1" to the right of the thread title to go to the top of the 1st page.  

On a single page thread, click into the thread & then scroll all the way up.

Or, simply leave your settings as they are & things will work as they normally have. 

• SDS unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.