Defense 2020-21

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oliver Kylington is on waivers... make it so

May be worth a shot.  Wasn't he the guy that at one point was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but then his rating fell late and he was drafted late in the 2nd rd?

I did a quick search and McKenzie had him 24th in 2015.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-2021-season-preview-examining-every-team-and-the-new-divisions/

Sabres

Last season: 68 PTS, 6th in Atlantic | At a glance: With patience running low and frustrations running high in Buffalo, the Sabres showed a little bit of urgency this offseason. They made a big splash by signing Taylor Hall to a one-year deal while also bringing in Eric Staal and Cody Eakin. Their top six looks pretty solid but they've got major depth concerns, the defense is still in rough shape and goaltending is a bit iffy. 

I'm sick of this narrative, because it's simply not true.   Buffalo was 10th last year in the NHL in least number of goals allowed 5 on 5 at 135.  Where we were terrible is the 5th worst 4 on 5 with 43 GA.  The bad PK had more to do with bad goaltending then bad defensemen.  

This was a huge improvement year over year and RK's D structure has a great deal to do with it plus the growth of Risto, Dahlin and Jokikarju.  in 2018-19 we gave up 185 5 on 5 goals, 5th worst in the NHL. 

I've said this many times, the D is not our problem but one of our strengths.  I wish these "journalists" would actually take the time to look at the numbers.

I really like our D group except Colin Miller, who I think is defensively challenged.  I can't wait to see how Montour rebounds this season.  I expect Dahlin and Jokiharju take another step forward and further improve the group.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

It sure will be interesting to see how Sabres center Jack Eichel meshes with free-agent addition Taylor Hall. Regardless, there are just too many holes in their bottom six, on defense and in net. 

Same narrative from USAtoday

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2021/01/11/nhl-point-projections-2021-season/4140218001/

I do agree with the Bottom 6 and goalie issues, but I know the bottom 6 is solvable in house.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Same narrative from USAtoday

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2021/01/11/nhl-point-projections-2021-season/4140218001/

I do agree with the Bottom 6 and goalie issues, but I know the bottom 6 is solvable in house.

I feel like these writers don't actually know the defense or what happened with this team last year. Being top 10 in shot suppression doesn't tell me the defense was bad. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

is it? Not sure about that. 

Obviously not by RK

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I feel like these writers don't actually know the defense or what happened with this team last year. Being top 10 in shot suppression doesn't tell me the defense was bad. 

I understand they have to write something quickly, but if I were an NHL beat writer, I think I’d take the time to actually look at the typical and advanced stats before writing my column and keep up with the teams throughout the year.

The funny thing is Buffalo’s defense is actually really easy to project this year.  We have stability on the backend.  Same coaches, and basically the same 6 players.  

Instead of writing the D is “rough,” all they had to write was the Sabres were solid on the backend 5 on 5 and if Dahlin takes a big step forward so will the D.  That’s at least accurate.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-2021-season-preview-examining-every-team-and-the-new-divisions/

I'm sick of this narrative, because it's simply not true.   Buffalo was 10th last year in the NHL in least number of goals allowed 5 on 5 at 135.  Where we were terrible is the 5th worst 4 on 5 with 43 GA.  The bad PK had more to do with bad goaltending then bad defensemen.  

This was a huge improvement year over year and RK's D structure has a great deal to do with it plus the growth of Risto, Dahlin and Jokikarju.  in 2018-19 we gave up 185 5 on 5 goals, 5th worst in the NHL. 

I've said this many times, the D is not our problem but one of our strengths.  I wish these "journalists" would actually take the time to look at the numbers.

I really like our D group except Colin Miller, who I think is defensively challenged.  I can't wait to see how Montour rebounds this season.  I expect Dahlin and Jokiharju take another step forward and further improve the group.

I looked up Evolving Wild Stats for fun, Miller had the second best defensive metrics behind McCabe last year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.