Which proposed division would be best for the Sabres

GASabresIUFAN

I've seen two proposals for the divisions for 2021.

1) Buffalo, Boston, TB, FLA, Det plus Nash, Stl and Chi.  This would then leave the Metro Division basically intact.  I think this makes the most sense, but since when has the NHL do things the smart or easy way. Also I think this is more competitive.

2) Buffalo, Boston, NYI, NYR, Pitt, Philly, NJ and Wash.  This creates a South/MW division of TB, Fla, Car, Nash, Cbs, Det, Chi and either Minn or Stl .  IMHO this creates a very over-weighted Metro division and a walk over for TB especially with Min in the Division.

The 1st 1 appears to be far easier, but can't see any way that with breaking all the Canadian teams off together that they don't end up with the 2nd option.  (With the possibility of a minor tweak such as sliding either Columbus or Detroit into the Sabres division rather than the Caps.)

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I honestly don't care who is in our division. I suspect they will arrange them for the least amount of travel and state border crossings. Unless it's in some sort of bubble. 

The best way to do that would actually be by making 4 divisions in the US and one in Canada, but that makes the playoffs harder unless they take 3 from all 5 divisions and only 1 wild card.

West - LA, ANA, LV, SJ, AZ and Col

Great Lakes/Central - Buf, Det, CBJ, Chi, STL Min

South - TB, FL, Car, Nsh, Wash, Dal

Northeast - Bos, NYI, NYR, NJ, Philly, Pit

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen a version of the second group in the OP where Pittsburgh is out and Carolina is in, which would be even worse.

That said, personally, I think Washington, Boston and Pittsburgh are declining, so that group isn't as bad is it appears on first blush. I think we can be better than Chicago Florida and Detroit on the one side, and the Rangers and the Devils on the other. But I can also see us passing Pittsburgh and Washington.

Tampa > Phi

St. Louis > Was

Nashville < NYI

Chicago < Pit

Florida < Rangers

Detroit < Devils

The other division has more easy outs, but it's tougher up top. Does anyone see us beating Tampa St. Louis and Boston for a division slot?

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The best way to do that would actually be by making 4 divisions in the US and one in Canada, but that makes the playoffs harder unless they take 3 from all 5 divisions and only 1 wild card.

West - LA, ANA, LV, SJ, AZ and Col

Great Lakes/Central - Buf, Det, CBJ, Chi, STL Min

South - TB, FL, Car, Nsh, Wash, Dal

Northeast - Bos, NYI, NYR, NJ, Philly, Pit

geographically that makes sense but 5 divisions would be tricky for a typical playoff.  With a short season are they going to do an expanded playoff again or just the old 16?

I honestly think the best way to run a season would be to use several bubbles and play the games in batches that overlap giving you continual hockey with quarantine breaks when teams travel between bubbles. But maybe they want some fans like football, so I guess interdivisional play will be it. I think that could make for a dull season though. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to watch us play the same team 10 times.  

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

geographically that makes sense but 5 divisions would be tricky for a typical playoff.  With a short season are they going to do an expanded playoff again or just the old 16?

I honestly think the best way to run a season would be to use several bubbles and play the games in batches that overlap giving you continual hockey with quarantine breaks when teams travel between bubbles. But maybe they want some fans like football, so I guess interdivisional play will be it. I think that could make for a dull season though. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to watch us play the same team 10 times.  

From the perspectives of logistics and minimising travel expenses while maximising opponents, the best idea is to rotate bubbles in the regular season.

For divisions, I think there will be 3 in the US.  Based on geography, they need to work from west to east and south to north.  Here, the first two rounds of the playoffs are strictly divisional.  But we can make other systems work.

The playoffs for 4 divisions could start with 1-3 in each division with the #2 teams meeting by geography.  The second round could be 1-6, 2-5, and 3-4.

Another option is to have 2 divisions where the playoffs have round 1 in each division be 1-6, 2-5, and 3-4 but round 2 is the old cross-over system where the lowest remaining team in one division plays the highest in the other while the middle teams meet.

Lastly, one mammoth 24 team division just takes the top 12 and does the usual divisional playoff thing for two rounds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.