Let me take a shot...

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Hall - Cozens - Reinhart

Eakin - Staal - TT

Rieder - Sheahan - Okposo

Dahlin - Ristolainen

McCabe - Miller

Irwin - Jokiharju

I continue to think there are several interesting and potentially effective ways to structure the lines when you don't willingly put one of your best in a bad spot. 

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure where else to put this but Sabres are 10th in the league on faceoffs so far this year at 53 per cent.

Sheahan 86

Eakin 61

Lazar 54

Staal 54

Eichel 46

Jack is taking way too many draws 😋

Crosby to become great learned to win draws.  He was bad the 1st two years and has been 50% or better ever since.  Jack has gotten better, but he needs to be over 50% since he is the man that makes the PP go.

• Like (+1) 1

Just went to the Sabres.com site to check stats, been a long while since I've done that.

Two things are abundantly becoming clear.....

1. Anyone who plays with Hall and Eichel are going to have a career year goal scoring and points wise.

2. Although Skinner has no points, he and Lazar are like peas and carrots, they just belong together.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Just went to the Sabres.com site to check stats, been a long while since I've done that.

Two things are abundantly becoming clear.....

1. Anyone who plays with Hall and Eichel are going to have a career year goal scoring and points wise.

2. Although Skinner has no points, he and Lazar are like peas and carrots, they just belong together.

I don’t think anyone really minds to much having Lazar w Skinner.  The problem is not having a skilled winger on the other side.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, Ducky said:

Let me take a shot...

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Hall - Cozens - Reinhart

Eakin - Staal - TT

Rieder - Sheahan - Okposo

Dahlin - Ristolainen

McCabe - Miller

Irwin - Jokiharju

Hall - Eichel - Reinhart

Olofsson - Staal - ???Tage

Skinner - Sheahan - Cozens

Rieder - Lazar - Eakin

Olofsson has been the biggest issue at 5 v 5 from players we are expecting to sincerely contribute. He should be off line 2 right now IMO

To the lineup posted above, I'd just switch Staal and Sheahan's wingers otherwise I like it. Though, if Staal is sunk (not saying that), maybe Sheahan IS our 2C...haha. Give that line the secondary offensive minutes, then. 

And get Cozens to C as quick as possible. 

Speaking of, do people still see C as where Cozens eventually ends up?

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Olofsson has been the biggest issue at 5 v 5 from players we are expecting to sincerely contribute. He should be off line 2 right now IMO

To the lineup posted above, I'd just switch Staal and Sheahan's wingers otherwise I like it. Though, if Staal is sunk (not saying that), maybe Sheahan IS our 2C...haha. Give that line the secondary offensive minutes, then. 

Need to see him at C at this level.

He looks good at W, and looked phenomenal at W in the tourney.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Need to see him at C at this level.

He looks good at W, and looked phenomenal at W in the tourney.

Ya, I think he has a long term W career all but locked up. From his perspective, he's set. From the team's, there is a lot more value to be taken advantage of if we can get him to C. 

And that's BEFORE look at the centre wasteland behind him. 

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I see no reason why Cozens shouldn’t be able to a C long term.  I’d like to see him periodically get some time at C this season.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Best way to learn to play C in the NHL is to actually play C in the NHL. 

Yup, just think it’s ok to ease him into it.  Let him get like ten games in, then start working him in at C.  If it goes great, that’s great!  If it’s up and down, take it slow.

^ That's not bad but I think @dudacekmay be onto something when he mentioned splitting Hall away from Eichel. Not that that's the move I want to go to now, and he came at it from the perspective of jump starting line 2 - but VO could be a factor here. If they put VO back up on the top line and boom, he looks great again (thank you, Jack (and Sam), maybe that line doesn't drop off much at ES, and Hall, who's looked good, absolutely gives us another scoring line. He's used to carrying the load on a line. It really opens up the lineup, at that point, we can afford to put Skinner with Cozens on line 3. 

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Hall - Staal - Thompson

Skinner - Cozens - Sheahan

Rieder - Eakin - Lazar

I really like Sheahan on that line, too, should be pretty defensively responsible, and if Cozens and Skinner mesh offensively, woo boy. 

That Botterill quote about Eichel needing to be like Crosby that I so detested does have a bit of merit to it, not in the sense that you can expect anyone to elevate like Sid does, but Eichel is sorta imo revealing himself to be a guy that, while can't get away with nobodies, really works well with GOOD players, but players that still have a noticeable draw back to their game. 

He doesn't need to line up with all-stars, but he's great at adapting to allow the specific exceptional skills of those he's beside, to shine. 

He unlocked Skinner's 40 goal potential by shooting near the top of the league in volume, allowing Skinner to clean up in front. He understands (hockey sense somehow underrated) how to capitalize on what Reinhart brings in transition. VO looked good with him. Maybe Hall Eichel on the same line is a tad bit of overkill, as weird as it is to say. I think they'd be really good together, but there's a pretty good chance the lineup isn't maximized in that scenario. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

That Botterill quote about Eichel needing to be like Crosby that I so detested does have a bit of merit to it, not in the sense that you can expect anyone to elevate like Sid does, but Eichel is sorta imo revealing himself to be a guy that, while can't get away with nobodies, really works well with GOOD players, but players that still have a noticeable draw back to their game. 

He doesn't need to line up with all-stars, but he's great at adapting to allow the specific exceptional skills of those he's beside, to shine. 

He unlocked Skinner's 40 goal potential by shooting near the top of the league in volume, allowing Skinner to clean up in front. He understands (hockey sense somehow underrated) how to capitalize on what Reinhart brings in transition. VO looked good with him. Maybe Hall Eichel on the same line is a tad bit of overkill, as weird as it is to say. I think they'd be really good together, but there's a pretty good chance the lineup isn't maximized in that scenario. 

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or in the case the one (being Taylor Hall).  Conceptually it makes sense.  Hall has proven that he can carry a team as had Jack.  With Staal and Skinner struggling, it makes sense to try to find someway to ignite their games thus Hall with Staal and Skinner w Jack.  I'm swapping Skinner for Olofsson in your idea because I remember last season how Olofsson played with Kahun and MoJo for that brief 6 game stretch.  The team didn't win but they looked good together.  It might have been a Euro thing, but I think it was a style thing.  Their games kind of meshed together.  I think Cozens straight ahead game would be a nice fit with Olofsson; creating space of VO to use his shot.  Add a fast forechecker to that line like Rieder and you might have something.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.