[Offseason] Which was the worst best-selling album of the 80s?

Eleven

[Offseason] Which was the worst best-selling album of the 80s?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. [Offseason] Which was the worst best-selling album of the 80s?

• Thriller, Michael Jackson
    • Back in Black, AC/DC
    • Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen
    • Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N Roses
    • Whitney Houston, eponymous
    • No Jacket Required, Phil Collins

On 11/21/2020 at 4:17 AM, Weave said:

Probably swimming against the stream in this crowd, but I never cared for Bruce Springsteen at all.  Born in the USA gets my vote.

lol, too funny, I am (I kid you not) listening to Bruce while I went to this thread. Not his best album, and the acoustic outtake version of the title track is way better, but it's still a better album than most of the crap listed up there. 

Going to a Bruce show was the only time I ever crossed the border and went to the Aud aside from hockey. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, Weave said:

Probably swimming against the stream in this crowd, but I never cared for Bruce Springsteen at all.  Born in the USA gets my vote.

I share your sentiment.  He's got a few songs that I like.  Feel the same way about Neil Diamond.  

On 11/28/2020 at 7:40 PM, Indabuff said:

My God man.  I have never seen four lava lamps in close proximity except for at Spencer's back in the day.

It is pretty funny.  I had the one on the left from decades ago.  The other three are also oldies that were given to me in the recent years.  A friend cleans his basement and I get a call.  Sometimes to restore speakers, turntables, tape players or something for them, other times to see if I want their junk.  😂 

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Voted Collins ...

That's it.  That's the post.

We should have a best album listing too ...

... hands down ... The Clash ... Sandinista!!

I'm a lover, not a fighter, but I WILL fight all comers on this one.  Am I right, @Sabel79??

Hmm.  I LOVE Sandanista!!.  But I have quite a few other options.  Prince has numerous contenders, not the least of which are 1999 and Sign o' the Times.  Punk had the Violent Femmes' debut just for a start.  Kraftwerk innovated with Computer World.  Bob Marley and the Wailers brought us Uprising.  ABBA signed off with The Visitors and their spare singles.  New Wave can put forth The Cure's Disintegration for starters.  Hip Hip brought us two all-time greats in NWA's Straight Outta Compton and Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.  I think Reba McEntire's Sweet Sixteen was the best Country album of the 1980's.  I missed Peter Gabriel, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush, Whodini, etc.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
How the heck could I omit Reba?

On 11/21/2020 at 7:17 AM, Weave said:

On 11/21/2020 at 8:11 AM, SwampD said:

Me too.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, Indabuff said:

I share your sentiment.  He's got a few songs that I like.  Feel the same way about Neil Diamond.  

You are all banned to Canada.  No self respecting American disses the boss like this. He’s woven into the fabric of this country, weave (see what I did there). 

Neil ***** Diamond. The lounge singer sexless version of Tom Jones?  Ugh.  Grandmas everywhere are rolling in their graves at the thought of his crappy milquetoast watered down ear filth.  

I voted for Back in Black for one reason and one reason only.  Every simpleton I know has “Shook me all night long” as their favorite song. It’s the worst. Anyone tells me that’s their jam. Immediate idiot status until proven otherwise (I won’t be). I love AC/DC but that song is the worst, even worse than the stupid “Who made Who” crapfest they did for that Stephen King movie.  

24 minutes ago, inkman said:

You are all banned to Canada.  No self respecting American disses the boss like this. He’s woven into the fabric of this country, weave (see what I did there). 

Neil ***** Diamond. The lounge singer sexless version of Tom Jones?  Ugh.  Grandmas everywhere are rolling in their graves at the thought of his crappy milquetoast watered down ear filth.  

I voted for Back in Black for one reason and one reason only.  Every simpleton I know has “Shook me all night long” as their favorite song. It’s the worst. Anyone tells me that’s their jam. Immediate idiot status until proven otherwise (I won’t be). I love AC/DC but that song is the worst, even worse than the stupid “Who made Who” crapfest they did for that Stephen King movie.  

I think the Boss is awesome. I just really can’t find a single thing in his music to latch onto, and don’t get what it is in it that could inspire a reaction like this. But that’s music, it’s totally subjective.

14 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think the Boss is awesome. I just really can’t find a single thing in his music to latch onto, and don’t get what it is in it that could inspire a reaction like this. But that’s music, it’s totally subjective.

Born in the USA is certainly among his weaker efforts but the title tune is enough. A story of the American dream turned into demise. It’s quite apt for today’s cultural climate.  His music tells the story of America and the American plight.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Born in the USA is certainly among his weaker efforts but the title tune is enough. A story of the American dream turned into demise. It’s quite apt for today’s cultural climate.  His music tells the story of America and the American plight.  

I don't disagree with any of that. The song has been made even greater over time do to it's ironic adoption as a patriotic anthem.

I still have no reason to listen to his music, though. It just doesn't tickle my earholes.

Edited by SwampD

On 11/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Voted Collins ...

That's it.  That's the post.

We should have a best album listing too ...

... hands down ... The Clash ... Sandinista!!

I'm a lover, not a fighter, but I WILL fight all comers on this one.  Am I right, @Sabel79??

Would this be the best of the worst-selling albums of the 1980s? Or just an overall best album by decade?

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don't disagree with any of that. The song has been made even greater over time do to it's ironic adoption as a patriotic anthem.

I still have no reason to listen to his music, though. It just doesn't tickle my earholes.

That’s what tongues are for?  

23 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Ha!!

You are a jolly joker, you are.  Best album of decade, maybe even all time.

Sorry for your loss, by the way.

RIP original Vader: Mr. Prowse. Who by all accounts was a problematic gabber as he spoiled the whole "father" twist while promoting the film.

Also --- my submission for best of the 80s is Purple Rain. Kick off with Let's Go Crazy and then the rest of Side A goes through the gambit/range of Prince in pop, big soapy ballad, random, and dirty sexy fun. Then, Side B is a tour-de-force of When Doves Cry - I Would Die 4 U - Baby I'm a Star - Purple Rain.

And of course --- The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack ranks highly as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

RIP original Vader: Mr. Prowse. Who by all accounts was a problematic gabber as he spoiled the whole "father" twist while promoting the film.

Also --- my submission for best of the 80s is Purple Rain. Kick off with Let's Go Crazy and then the rest of Side A goes through the gambit/range of Prince in pop, big soapy ballad, random, and dirty sexy fun. Then, Side B is a tour-de-force of When Doves Cry - I Would Die 4 U - Baby I'm a Star - Purple Rain.

And of course --- The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack ranks highly as well.

I think I agree with your best 80's album.  Dude was extraordinary.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:41 PM, inkman said:

Cheech’s “Born in the East LA” was better than that turd of a song.  Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/1/2020 at 11:55 AM, inkman said:

I think you may have missed the fact that I was suggesting he sucks (minus a few songs), no?

8 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I think you may have missed the fact that I was suggesting he sucks (minus a few songs), no?

Which you compared to Springsteen.  Neil Diamond is to The boss as Matt Ellis is to Jack Eichel. They perform in the same arenas but they ain’t making the same music. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Which you compared to Springsteen.  Neil Diamond is to The boss as Matt Ellis is to Jack Eichel. They perform in the same arenas but they ain’t making the same music. 

I got ya.  I was just indicating both of them only have a few songs that I like.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:55 AM, inkman said:

Neil Diamond - at the risk of getting killed by you young dudes I’m going to point out his very early days as a song writer on Tin Pan Alley, NYC.   I do like a few of his earliest songs, many were good pop songs that spoke about the time and the vibe of the 60’s,  some became hits for him and for other other bands and artists.    Now I will admit he sold out and wrote a lot of sappy drivel as time went on, but enough of his earliest tunes take me back to places and people that resonate warmly with me - and that is what gives  music the power that it has over us.   

Edited by Pimlach

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.