[Offseason] Which was the worst best-selling album of the 80s?

Eleven

[Offseason] Which was the worst best-selling album of the 80s?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. [Offseason] Which was the worst best-selling album of the 80s?

• Thriller, Michael Jackson
    • Back in Black, AC/DC
    • Born in the USA, Bruce Springsteen
    • Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N Roses
    • Whitney Houston, eponymous
    • No Jacket Required, Phil Collins

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

What is Thriller doing there? That album’s a masterpiece. Quincy Jones is a genius.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

How is whatever the #### Madonna's best seller was NOT on this list?

Went with the top six according to some website.  Thriller of course is #1, and Madonna must not have been in the top six.

D743B098-3DDB-4B14-AE2E-315A0334CE41.thumb.jpeg.04ddf838ef7e01de60bdc17326566105.jpeg964AA819-666C-4482-8FAD-C0C1D175269E.thumb.jpeg.9112686ba5a18ccf88d4a9d40b681176.jpeg

my very extensive record (and CD) collection contains no AC/DC and no Guns N’ Roses.  Never cared for either of them except for a song here and there.  Yet, I understand the importance of these albums within their genre.  

I was a huge fan of the early Genesis music - the Phil Collins solo stuff, starting with No Jacket, was just a complete sellout and pure commercial drivel.   Easy choice for me.  80’s music is a largely forgettable decade for me.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Video killed the radio star and was the beginning of the end for popular music in general. Image and looks became more important than musicianship or ability and imo the 80’s just happened to be a decade where this really took off. 

Video killed the radio star was the 'official' beginning of MTV, but if you want to know where image and looks were pushed over the edge over the quality of music, look no farther than KISS a few years before.  I don't think any band that was as popular as they were pushed image and appearance as far as they did.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Video killed the radio star and was the beginning of the end for popular music in general. Image and looks became more important than musicianship or ability and imo the 80’s just happened to be a decade where this really took off. 

At first I thought MTV was going to be this great medium for artists to play their music and to use video to translate the lyrics and music in a more powerful way.   Maybe a few tried that but it quickly went to what sells - T and A.  MTV was put under pressure to play more Rap/hip-hop.  It devolved into reality TV and teen television.  VH1 started as an attempt for appeal to a more mature audience, that didn’t last.   

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, Pimlach said:

D743B098-3DDB-4B14-AE2E-315A0334CE41.thumb.jpeg.04ddf838ef7e01de60bdc17326566105.jpeg964AA819-666C-4482-8FAD-C0C1D175269E.thumb.jpeg.9112686ba5a18ccf88d4a9d40b681176.jpeg

my very extensive record (and CD) collection contains no AC/DC and no Guns N’ Roses.  Never cared for either of them except for a song here and there.  Yet, I understand the importance of these albums within their genre.  

I was a huge fan of the early Genesis music - the Phil Collins solo stuff, starting with No Jacket, was just a complete sellout and pure commercial drivel.   Easy choice for me.  80’s music is a largely forgettable decade for me.  

I still remember seeing Peter Gabriel at Kleinhan's very shortly after he left Genesis

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.