[Offseason] Who was the worst Rocky opponent?

Eleven

[Offseason] Who was the worst Rocky opponent?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst Rocky opponent?

• Apollo Creed
    • Clubber Lang
    • Ivan Drago
    • Tommy Gunn
    • Mason Dixon, from that movie that no one watched.

If we’re talking strength of character, Appollo Creed was probably the worst of the 1st three movies.  Lang and Drago were both better/stronger opponents.

If that’s not what you are referring to, explain yourself.

I got nuthin past the first 3 movies.  I gave up by then.

41 minutes ago, Weave said:

If we’re talking strength of character, Appollo Creed was probably the worst of the 1st three movies.  Lang and Drago were both better/stronger opponents.

If that’s not what you are referring to, explain yourself.

I got nuthin past the first 3 movies.  I gave up by then.

Drago was in the fourth.

50 minutes ago, inkman said:

Define “worst” ?  

Like the least skilled boxer, least likable, worst competition, bad guy, what are we talking about here?

However you'd like.

1 hour ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Rocky Balboa was actually a good movie.  I'm pretty sure it did well in the theatres too.  If you want to ridicule a Rocky movie....please choose Rocky V.   I'm still entertained by it, but its a pretty bad movie overall.

Tommy Gunn is by far the worst opponent - rocky is totally washed at that point.  Creed was undefeated, undisputed heavyweight champion and a showman like Ali.  Clubber Lang was basically a knockout machine like Liston.  Drago was a juiced up Russian machine representing the entire USSR. 

Rocky V does have those 2 great lines after tommy punches Paulie...  Not sure its enough to redeem a bad forgettable movie though.

Records against Balboa:

Creed: 1SD-1KO

Lang: 1KO-1KO

Drago: 0-1KO

Gunn: 0-1KO

Dixon: 1SD-0 

Records against eachother:

Creed 0 - Drago 1KO

Analysis:

By Superposition, the best fighters were Clubber Lang and Mason Dixon, the only fighters to beat Rocky, and not lose to someone that only lost against Rocky.  Mason Dixon, despite only getting split decision against a 60 year old Stallone, technically has the better record over Lang.

Drago and Gunn were both 0-1 by KO.  But Drago beat Creed (who at least had a split record against Balboa), so Drago sucks less.

Therefore Tommy Gunn was definitely the worst.  Which is fitting, because Rocky V is smoldering dog *****.

Tommy Gunn: A heavyweight novice who was rushed along by a greedy promotor and a shady boxing association. He was then shown what time it was real quick by an over the hill former slugger behind a bar in a Philadelphia slum. 

Mason 'The Line's Dixon: ***** Antonio Tarver Forever! Sincerely, Roy Jones Jr. Undisputed Champion and very good boxer. Suffered from a poor era of competition. Never ducked a fighter, beat all comers. Didn't take Balboa seriously. Balboa was on HGH. Dixon still wins.

Clubber Lang: This man had a bazooka and a shotgun and no defense. Didn't need it. Just load up and knock em out. Knocked out a disinterested Balboa easily in their first meeting. Once Rocky realized that he'd only held onto the belt for as long as he did because Mickey was only matching him with fighters he could beat, the chip went back up on Rocky's shoulder. He trained harder than he ever had before, employing new methods. He destroyed Lang in the remach.

Ivan Drago: Although he was a product of Soviet blood doping, Drago was a gifted fighter. He moved very well for a big man, and he had a fantastic chin. Power, speed and reach, an ideal heavyweight. Had Balboa not been fighting with the memories of fallen friends to push him he may not have pulled this one out. It was a pure guts battle. 

Apollo Creed: The Greatest of all Time. Never before or since has there been a heavyweight with such speed, power and grace. Lightning fast, sledgehammer power and simply uncatchable. The only thing that beat Apollo Creed was time. He met Balboa in a stunt fight in the waning years of his career. He suffered multiple broken ribs and still kept coming after Rocky. The man had no quit in him. He had more heart than he had sense. That trait, most would see as favorable, ended up being his downfall. Cautionary tale: Retire before Father Time retires you.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Apollo Creed: The Greatest of all Time. Never before or since has there been a heavyweight with such speed, power and grace. Lightning fast, sledgehammer power and simply uncatchable. The only thing that beat Apollo Creed was time. He met Balboa in a stunt fight in the waning years of his career. He suffered multiple broken ribs and still kept coming after Rocky. The man had no quit in him. He had more heart than he had sense. That trait, most would see as favorable, ended up being his downfall. Cautionary tale: Retire before Father Time retires you.

This is spectacular analysis.  Kudos.

Dixon, not enough charisma/ personality. I’m a huge Rocky fan and enjoy all of them; including the two Creed ones.

10 hours ago, ubkev said:

The Creed sequels are friggin amazing, by the way. Michael B. Jordan is fantastic and there's a nice cameo by one of the best pure boxers of the past 20 years.

Yeah agreed.

Tommy freaking Gunn is last by a mile, poll reflects that accurately. 

I know it's not the "best" movie but Drago to me is his most iconic, best opponent. The training contrast is excellent and Rocky to me is at his physical best in that movie - he looks it, and he drops Drago even though he's doping. 

There are lots of iconic lines in the movie but this may be my favourite exchange:

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.