Sabres Reverse Retro Jersey

Brawndo

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But that's what the old jersey had. I feel like some of you think they designed new jerseys based on old ones and ***** it up. They took all logos and put in new colors, that's about it. 

It's just editorial on appearance.  You aren't supposed to feel anything other than your own opinion on appearance.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The St. Louis Blues weren't named after the color? 😮    Whatever might they have been LITERALLY named after?  The quarter note & stanza from the base logo don't provide a clue as to what it might be.  🤔  Please enlighten us.  

Okay Capt. Sarcasm -  then you should realize that it's fine for them to use red and not blue just because of the name. You may not like how it looks but there's nothing unironic about it.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

That jersey sucked in red and black and it sucks in blue and gold. 

I hate the butter knives and I hate the wordmark. The only thing that could have made it worse was if they incorporated that awful B with the sword through it.

But that's just me.

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I hated that jersey when it was red. Making it baby blue didn't improve it.

The Avdiques jersey is straight fire 🔥. Not buying a Sabres one, might buy an Avdiques.

Interesting enough, it (the original black/red) was voted today as the favorite jersey. 2nd was the away whites. 

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't know why they had to do this again.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But that's what the old jersey had. I feel like some of you think they designed new jerseys based on old ones and ***** it up. They took all logos and put in new colors, that's about it. 

I understand both sides here.  Our return to royal primaries are gorgeous (and so were the 50ths).  Depending on your opinion, the reverse retros vary from bleh to not bad.  So why bother with reverse retros with brand new primaries?  Especially a re-play of a third jersey that's a spin off from a goat head that many royal and blue OGs didn't like anyway?

The NHL-Adidas deal is seven years and started in 2017-18.  I'm betting this program was written into the initial contract as a "large, league-wide jersey branding event to occur on or about the midway point of the contract term." Adidas gets to redesign (sort of) the primaries at the beginning of the term and then gets to design league-wide "thirds" or whatever this is halfway through the contract to buoy jersey sales.  It enabled them to bid more for the rights.  It's money over everything for the NHL, so here we are.

Adidas was going to do it league-wide regardless of what our primary reveal was doing, and when they were going to do it, they were only going to play with old logos and styles and contemporary colors... mostly.  Maybe because that most of the intellectual property was still protected by the NHL and the teams.

Interesting side bit.  The Sabres filed a trademark for an updated goathead on September 22, 2020.  Differentiate it from the old trademark (the new one got a slight beard trim - a trim that was present in the old goat head jerseys and logos but not the trademark image).  Compare it to the new shoulder patch (it's the updated one).  They either cleaned it up for modern use or they needed to update it with a new filing for accuracy.

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I hated that jersey when it was red. Making it baby blue didn't improve it.

The exposure on this one, due to the sun, makes it look like baby blue ...

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

02D10F9F-2679-41F0-83F5-E094BFF132EF.jpeg

but the real blue is a deep royal ...

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Personally, I've always liked the red jersey (except maybe the "BUFFALO"), so this is just fine with me.

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

The exposure on this one, due to the sun, makes it look like baby blue ...

Just like the old Sabrejak when the light hit it just the right way.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Cool that they got Pominville to model the butterknife retros.

Does it look like it would hurt if I stabbed you with it?  (Which I might.)  That is how you know it is not a butterknife.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

No.  No ranking that treats that Anaheim horror show as some sort of breath of whimsy is spot on.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To be fair...

giphy.gif

it looks like a cutlass. 

MuseeMarine-sabre-p1000456.jpg

You posted a meme that I understand!  Thank you!

On 11/15/2020 at 11:00 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I always liked the sword through the B.  I’d like to see that back on the jersey.

This was always a favorite of mine too.  I think it would make a great front of the jersey logo for an alternate jersey.  I was never a fan of the goat head, but it does have a place in franchise history and putting it on the shoulder makes sense.  Not sure what to say about the slug - I despise it, but it also is associated with one of the best runs in team history.

If you read Lysowski's piece on the jersey, it sounds like the choice was shaped by the timing.

The Sabres are doing a major re-branding this year with the return to royal and they needed a jersey that complemented that message, not confused it.

With that in mind, this is the obvious choice.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Does this mean the 50th anniversary gold thirds are dead?   Those were gorgeous, would be a shame to kick those to the curb for the butter knives.

Pretty sure those are the new road whites, though w/ both the sword shafts white and a white textured buffalo and the more traditional gold rather than the stripper glitter gold of the 50ths. from the logo is back.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.