Sabres Reverse Retro Jersey

Brawndo

Yeah.  Agree that the Sabres ended up middle of the pack w/ these.

Would be very disappointed if they came up with something as dull as Detroit, TB, & the Aisles pulled.  The B's going yellow wasn't particularly inspired either.

Glad that TO screwed it up.  Winnipeg & Hartford did too, IMHO.  And the Ducks might be the absolute worst.

Surprised, but don't really like Moe-ray-all's nor the Rags efforts either.  And the irony of the Blues going red should be lost.  

The Kings purple works.  The Yotes, not so much.  Maybe those look better in a peyote induced haze.

The Avs, BJ's, & Wild's sweaters really worked.

Liked most of the rest.  Have to relook at a couple others like the Nucks & Joisey to decide if they work or not.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’m with Eleven.  The word “Buffalo” on the bottom is awful.

But that's what the old jersey had. I feel like some of you think they designed new jerseys based on old ones and ***** it up. They took all logos and put in new colors, that's about it. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yeah.  Agree that the Sabres ended up middle of the pack w/ these.

Would be very disappointed if they came up with something as dull as Detroit, TB, & the Aisles pulled.  The B's going yellow wasn't particularly inspired either.

Glad that TO screwed it up.  Winnipeg & Hartford did too, IMHO.  And the Ducks might be the absolute worst.

Surprised, but don't really like Moe-ray-all's nor the Rags efforts either.  And the irony of the Blues going red should be lost.  

The Kings purple works.  The Yotes, not so much.  Maybe those look better in a peyote induced haze.

The Avs, BJ's, & Wild's sweaters really worked.

Liked most of the rest.  Have to relook at a couple others like the Nucks & Joisey to decide if they work or not.

The Blues are not named after the color. A team name doesn't and should't dictate what color they should wear, not everything needs to be literal.

The city flag of St. Louis is red, so this makes perfect sense.

16 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

The Blues are not named after the color. A team name doesn't and should't dictate what color they should wear, not everything needs to be literal.

But the jerseys are so ugly.

Among the worst of the bunch.

• Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

Do you know who you're dealing with here?

• Like (+1) 1

Saw we had some new duds so I built a pod car racer. It's the fastest ever built.

I would have gone with some slick whitewalls, but alas the sweater, so I chose the gray wheels. Some would say the swords would be hazardous on the nosecone, but they're no more dangerous than the lack of guardrails next to the bottomless shafts of most Imperial-constructed workplaces.

That jersey sucked in red and black and it sucks in blue and gold. 

I hate the butter knives and I hate the wordmark. The only thing that could have made it worse was if they incorporated that awful B with the sword through it.

But that's just me.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m with Eleven.  The word “Buffalo” on the bottom is awful.

Side story, that many know, but not everyone knows...

The Buffalo Sabres logo is one of the most elegantly direct logos in professional sports.  It's not a single cryptic letter (like a B or a C or a C-with-flames or a P-with-whatever-the-*****-feathers?).  It's not an image of a mascot (like a cat or a bear or a Roman guy or a penguin).  It's the full name of the city and team, albeit with a hint of dyslexia/Canadianese:

Buffalo.

Sabres.

The logo is the name.  The name is spelled out as the logo.  No other team has that.

(Tangent: we're also lucky enough to have a chant that rhymes, which is also exquisite and very rare.  Chants that don't rhyme suck balls.  Let's Go Buffalo.  Pure bliss compared to other hackneyed *****.  Go Leafs Go?  Let's go Rangers?  Barf.)

So when 2000 came around and the CCM designers drank too much maple syrup, I can paraphrase the conversation: "Alright, people like this unofficial jersey that Starter made.  W gotta do something like it, but better.  We made the swords bigger and put a dotpuck behind them to make it a crest.  How are people gonna know what city this is if we don't make the Buffalo heads on the shoulders bigger? It won't fit above or on the crest."  They only had one viable answer: put the city name below the crest.  Neatly, no other team had done that.  And it was enabled by relatively new jersey manufacturing technology of the time: jersey sublimation.  They didn't have to tack/twill each letter in place, which would have added weight, complexity, materials, and cost.  And it could be done in any font, including to match the three-color nameplate font.  So instead of a logo that reads "Buffalo Sabres," we got a third jersey that reads "Sabres (of) Buffalo."

And...some folks didn't like that Buffalo across the bottom then either.  But it was different and new.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Neatly, no other team had done that

One team already had done that, and it was the Los Angeles Kings.  It wasn't different, it wasn't new, it was imitative, and it was and is a crime against hockey sweaters.

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, LouBrawls said:

The St. Louis Blues weren't named after the color? 😮    Whatever might they have been LITERALLY named after?  The quarter note & stanza from the base logo don't provide a clue as to what it might be.  🤔  Please enlighten us.  

They still are fugly sweaters & St. Louis would've been better off with a gold themed sweater IMHO.   And those Hull era sweaters with the huge red sash at the bottom of the sweater were their ugliest until this monstrosity usurped its title.

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

One team already had done that, and it was the Los Angeles Kings.  It wasn't different, it wasn't new, it was imitative, and it was and is a crime against hockey sweaters.

True.  One caveat is that the Kings did not use sublimation for the "Los Angeles" on the hem, so for that the Sabres get half a point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.