Sabres Reverse Retro Jersey

Brawndo

13 hours ago, Weave said:

Not an individual jersey post.  it was a full panel with like 6 teams jerseys leaked, but it showed the front crest and jersey in full for all of them.  Boston was one, Pittsburgh and Toronto, maybe?  Don't remember the other teams.  It was the same type of post/panels that leaked the other details leading up to this.  I hadn't seen it previously.  Looked legit, not like the single pick of just the Sabres jersey mocked up.

I have seen this tweet and weave isn't wrong.

10 hours ago, Kr632 said:

This looks about right

ABD8BA88-F5F1-4CBE-B33F-AC5D296A5973.jpeg

That's it!  That's what I've seen.

I don't like the word "Buffalo" across the bottom and I didn't like it on the red sweater, either.

Other than that fatal flaw (it really ruins it), it would be beautiful.

11 hours ago, Kr632 said:

This looks about right

ABD8BA88-F5F1-4CBE-B33F-AC5D296A5973.jpeg

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Disappointed it's butterknives and not the Goathead up front. But it's not unattractive.

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That's it!  That's what I've seen.

I don't like the word "Buffalo" across the bottom and I didn't like it on the red sweater, either.

Other than that fatal flaw (it really ruins it), it would be beautiful.

How confident are we that those are the jerserys?  I feel like everyone is just going on someone’s guess.  

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

How confident are we that those are the jerserys?  I feel like everyone is just going on someone’s guess.  

That mock up has been around for a bit. I am not 100% percent confident as I have seen that since the announce to royal blue. I would guess we get something close to it though as it is generally thought that the 00 in the promotion video refers to a jersey created in 2000 and that would be the crossed swords. 

I see what they tried to do league-wide and how that guided the design choices for the Sabres version.  As for our particular jersey: Eh.

In a Reverse Retro campaign that went for some of the zaniest designs (ANA, ARI, CAR, to name a few), they singled out Buffalo's most bland logo.  Go goathead here.  Bring back the Buffalo head-shaped torso and sleeve striping.  Hell, even do it in blue and gold if you want.

It's also curious why they didn't go full black/red.  Did the organization not want that or are they reserving that palette for a true retro third jersey in a couple of years?  If it's the former, I could see the org not wanting that because a) they've been hammered about blue and gold for more than 17 years and b) wanting to keep distance from the Adelphia branding.

But all of that is conceptual.  Execution-wise, most of this jersey doesn't look that bad, except for one detail that absolutely ruins it for me: the gray bottom stripe.  That's a part of the palette that plagued the navy/gold jerseys (overused on the stripes).  On this jersey, it looks plain dingy, like it got dipped in bathwater.  Keeping that white would have completed a pretty good look, albeit one that wasn't the craziest or or most boldly retro.  Going gray on the bottom was unecessary and bad.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

20 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I see what they tried to do league-wide and how that guided the design choices for the Sabres version.  As for our particular jersey: Eh.

In a Reverse Retro campaign that went for some of the zaniest designs (ANA, ARI, CAR, to name a few), they singled out Buffalo's most bland logo.  Go goathead here.  Bring back the Buffalo head-shaped torso and sleeve striping.  Hell, even do it in blue and gold if you want.

It's also curious why they didn't go full black/red.  Did the organization not want that or are they reserving that palette for a true retro third jersey in a couple of years?  If it's the former, I could see the org not wanting that because a) they've been hammered about blue and gold for more than 17 years and b) wanting to keep distance from the Adelphia branding.

Terrible idea. After 20 years of bad color decisions the first "3rd" jersey is a reminder of those dumb color decisions. Stick with blue n gold. If 5 years from now you want to release a full retro red and black sure but right now, hell no. 

Also it was either retro logo with modern colors or modern logo with retro colors... hence reverse retro. 

50 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Too many new jerseys I have to buy. Are these just going to go away/be replaced like all the rest in another 2-3 years?

Also, why is the bottom gray? Completely ruins it.

Most likely because they kept the silver/gray from the original butter knives sweaters in the same places (except the collar striping is slightly different to avoid the dropping neckline of the originals) and the originals had that large silverish gray stripe at the bottom.

Except for making the sweaters white rather than dark which required different color swapping than in the logos (which swapped blue for black, & gold for red even in the eyes), they pretty much kept the butter knives as original and they kept the silverish gray in its original locales.  

Agree that the large gray stripe was a poor choice.  Blue or even white would work better there, IMHO.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Terrible idea. After 20 years of bad color decisions the first "3rd" jersey is a reminder of those dumb color decisions. Stick with blue n gold. If 5 years from now you want to release a full retro red and black sure but right now, hell no. 

Understandable.  Org's trying to rebrand with royal and gold and doesn't want to mix.  Especially when they haven't gotten the new branding on the ice, let alone in front of live fans to reinforce it.  It's not time yet.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Most likely because they kept the silver/gray from the original butter knives sweaters in the same places (except the collar striping is slightly different to avoid the dropping neckline of the originals) and the originals had that large silverfish gray stripe at the bottom.

Except for making the sweaters white rather than dark which required different color swapping than in the logos (which swapped blue for black, & gold for red even in the eyes), they pretty much kept the butter knives as original and they kept the silverish gray in its original locales.  

Agree that the large gray stripe was a poor choice.  Blue or even white would work better there, IMHO.

I agree with this explanation.  But it doesn't make the end product any better.  Nobody waxes nostaligic about the gray stripe as a design feature, so why keep it?  Other jerseys got to drop their mistakes (for example, dropping the red sleeves on CGY).

All 31 jerseys in one spot here: https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/11/16/nhl-adidas-unveil-reverse-retro-jerseys-for-all-31-teams/hockey-2/

After seeing them all, Sabres ended up middle-of-the-road, which makes me feel better.  Some of those jerseys are fire and truly neat, and some -several in fact- are horrificly awful.  Some are hot trash all around for simple reasons (Columbus) and some are just good ideas gone way bad (making the Brass Bonanza GRAY because that's the only shared color the Hurricanes could leverage for that cultural appropriation?  Bad bad bad.)

The Canes and Avs sweaters are nice.  The Avs might be my favorite.  I don't mind the Coyotes all though I think a lot of people won't.

I can overlook the gray stripe on the bottom of the Sabres, but I don't love it.  Overall I think we ended up with one of the best out of all the designs put out there.

21 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

And after taking a second look, the team that really lost this game?  Nevermind who ended up with the fugliest new jerseys.  It's the New York Islanders.  They could have swung for the fences and instead, their fans effectively got nothing.

Should've went full on fisherman dude. Instead of a coupla shades darker. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.