The "Whoops I posted Politics in the Main Forum" Thread

Zamboni

18 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

<PoliticalBecauseItNeedsToBeSaid>

We need more people like the Pegulas in NYS.  We need lower taxes, less regulation, and everything that helped them become billionaires.  IF they are bad people, I want more people like that changing the employment culture in NYS and bring us to the 1980's.  I am sick and tired of NYS chasing people out of upstate with such gusto because of our idiotic politics.  I want Buffalo to be a business hub again.

</PoliticalBecauseItNeedsToBeSaid>

What? LOL 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

You mean trading (soon) Jack Eichel didn't make this obvious?

I think their future in Buffalo is seriously at risk. 

<politics>

A non-zero number of people have voted for the party which destroys jobs in the state and chases our people out with zeal, vigour, and alacrity, so it would be just for the community to get a permanent black eye for it.

</politics>

If GMKA and HCDG don't work, expect another set of rookie hires.  This has been TP's pattern for decades; he is not changing his ideas of how to run an operation because of the Sabres.  Any hope for a veteran GM or veteran Coach to right the ship is a forlorn one.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Eichel ending up in Buffalo’s downstate media market competitor will absolutely crush whatever is left of the fanbase’s buy-in on Pegulaville.  It will snuff out the last tiny spark of faith in this organization.  It would be colossally dumb - even worse, in some ways, than sitting on his rights and getting nothing for him.  The Pegulas would have to be incredibly stupid and stubborn to allow Eichel to end up in New York (or Boston).

I really don't get these takes.  NY isn't a division mate of ours.  They aren't a rival of ours.  They really are no different than Carolina or Columbus.  Is it because of WNY's inferiority complex and political divide over NYC? 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

I really don't get these takes.  NY isn't a division mate of ours.  They aren't a rival of ours.  They really are no different than Carolina or Columbus.  Is it because of WNY's inferiority complex and political divide over NYC? 

Yes - I think the Upstate Inferiority Complex is real, and watching Eichel do well in the biggest media market in the country, especially in the current political climate in NYS, will be an impossibly tough pill to swallow for Buffalo fans who are already at their limit.

10 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Yes - I think the Upstate Inferiority Complex is real, and watching Eichel do well in the biggest media market in the country, especially in the current political climate in NYS, will be an impossibly tough pill to swallow for Buffalo fans who are already at their limit.

I think the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments will be based 100% on the return we get and not whether or not he plays his home games in MSG.

Except Wookie.  His brain will break.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I’m not aware of a political divide between NYC and WNY.  Both areas are quite blue and have been so for a while.  

You must not spend much time outside of metropolitan areas.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I’m not aware of a political divide between NYC and WNY.  Both areas are quite blue and have been so for a while.  

Downtown Buffalo and NYC are both heavily blue; however outside the city of Buffalo is primarily slightly red tinted and Long Island is very red.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Weave said:

You must not spend much time outside of metropolitan areas.

Well, I’ve spent about 90% of the last 19 months in a town of 3000 people in upstate NY.

What is the political divide you are referring to?  Certainly there are many differences between WNY and NYC but I guess I don’t see how politics is one of them.  

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I’ve spent about 90% of the last 19 months in a town of 3000 people in upstate NY.

What is the political divide you are referring to?  Certainly there are many differences between WNY but I guess I don’t see how politics is one of them.  

They are saying that cities are very Liberal, while suburbs and out in the towns (more rural) generally are more Conservative.  Same as in Canada, although our divides tend to be regional.

With that, we are officially out of bounds.  Sorry.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What is the political divide you are referring to?  Certainly there are many differences between WNY and NYC but I guess I don’t see how politics is one of them.  

And never noticed the F#*% Cuomo bumper stickers and F#*% Biden flags?  Are you in a liberal conclave in the Catskills?

• Like (+1) 2

My much less flippant response, look at the county by county voting results for NY and you'll see the divide clearly.  Erie, Monroe, Albany, and the counties that make up NYC all go blue and the rest of the state goes red.  Add in some good old fashioned western NY inferiority complex and the divide between upstate and NYC is quite clear.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

My much less flippant response, look at the county by county voting results for NY and you'll see the divide clearly.  Erie, Monroe, Albany, and the counties that make up NYC all go blue and the rest of the state goes red.  Add in some good old fashioned western NY inferiority complex and the divide between upstate and NYC is quite clear.

Having spent almost every second of the first 27 years of my life in WNY living in a small town where the median age is near 40 and everyone is both a conservative and as dumb as can be (no, I’m not saying the two are related) I have felt the political divide between WNY and NYC is obvious.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

And never noticed the F#*% Cuomo bumper stickers and F#*% Biden flags?  Are you in a liberal conclave in the Catskills?

No -- I'm in a pretty evenly divided congressional district that went blue in the last election.  But my point was that WNY is blue just like NYC is -- Erie County voted blue in the last election by 57% to 42%, which is a pretty wide margin.   I'd be curious to know when the last time Erie County didn't vote blue. 

Also, FWIW, plenty of those bumper stickers and flags exist in NYC too.

I guess I have generally thought of WNY as being primarily Erie County, since it's a pretty large county that is only about 25% located in the city of Buffalo.  You're certainly right that the rural counties west of Syracuse (if that's how you think of WNY) are much redder than Erie County.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No -- I'm in a pretty evenly divided congressional district that went blue in the last election.  But my point was that WNY is blue just like NYC is -- Erie County voted blue in the last election by 57% to 42%, which is a pretty wide margin.   I'd be curious to know when the last time Erie County didn't vote blue. 

Also, FWIW, plenty of those bumper stickers and flags exist in NYC too.

I guess I have generally thought of WNY as being primarily Erie County, since it's a pretty large county that is only about 25% located in the city of Buffalo.  You're certainly right that the rural counties west of Syracuse (if that's how you think of WNY) are much redder than Erie County.

WNY encompasses 7 counties.  Only Erie is blue by as you state a 5% margin.  The remaining 6 counties are overwhelmingly red.  The divide is real and they are vocal about it out here.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Weave said:

WNY encompasses 7 counties.  Only Erie is blue by as you state a 5% margin.  The remaining 6 counties are overwhelmingly red.  The divide is real and they are vocal about it out here.

Niagara, Orleans, Erie, Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Wyoming, Genesee.

Eight. (?)

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

How I feel when an already ridiculous thread becomes political.....seriously, take that $hit to the politics club. 

Maybe this is something we should all take seriously. We should put it to a vote. But first, we'll need everyone to register for a party and vote in the primary for their party before we proceed with the general vote on whether this conversation should be moved to politics.

Register with your local election board today!

• Like (+1) 1