The "Whoops I posted Politics in the Main Forum" Thread

Zamboni

8 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Lincoln wanted to select the radical abolitionist (and, yes, I mean radical) Cassius Marcellus Clay, but he was told he couldn't select someone who would duel every sitting member of the opposition party if he had the chance (Clay--at this point--has already been in 40 or so duels with pro-slavery folks).

Instead, Lincoln selected the rather forgettable Hannibal Hamlin and made Clay the ambassador to Russia. While ambassador to Russia, he convinced the Russian government to tell both Britain and France that if either recognized the Confederacy as an independent country, Russia would declare war on them. That's why, despite France and Britain certainly having a beneficial interest in recognizing and supporting the confederacy, they remained largely sidelined. Russia even sent ships to NY harbor with sealed orders on how to proceed if either Britain or France got involved.

Then, in early 1862, Lincoln was desperate for competent military officers, so he recalled Clay to the US and tried to promote him to Major General. Clay, being a true abolitionist, told Lincoln publicly he wouldn't accept the promotion unless Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation--which Lincoln signed a few months later.

Mid-1863 he returned to Russia to father an illegitimate child continue his work as ambassador. He is the reason we have Alaska today. He was the person who negotiated the Alaska purchase.

Underrated dude who was almost VP. By keeping Britain and France out of the war, he basically saved the Union which was pretty close to losing prior to July of 1863. Then he got Lincoln to free the slaves. And, because that wasn't enough, he decided to buy Alaska.

Also he was completely mental.

Great post.

Sidenote, I would contest that the US was close to the losing in July of 1863. Even if the Army of the Potomac was destroyed in part  at Gettysburg or there abouts, the Confederacy would still have been cut in half on July 4th with the ending of the Siege of Vicksburg and the Army of Cumberland was still driving towards Atlanta. However, since I don't want to come across as nitpicking, I want to add that I fully agree the 3 days in July were the most perilous for the US. One can easily envision a shattered Army of the Potomac limping back to Washington DC with the confederates hot on their trails. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's how every vp candidate has been picked for years. 

McCain, picked a white women

Obama, white dude

Trump, actual Christian 

Hillary, white guy

They all pick a vp that represents a voting block they want to appeal too. 

You forgot McCain picking Palin which was a shrewd move made to appeal to the idiot block. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...