The "Whoops I posted Politics in the Main Forum" Thread

Zamboni

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Maybe this is something we should all take seriously. We should put it to a vote. But first, we'll need everyone to register for a party and vote in the primary for their party before we proceed with the general vote on whether this conversation should be moved to politics.

Register with your local election board today!

You're forgetting, this isn't a democracy here on SS, the law has been passed by the Supreme leaders,and we must obey. 

200.gif

19 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’m not aware of a political divide between NYC and WNY.  Both areas are quite blue and have been so for a while.  

Well the issue is that there are 60 something state senators. And more than half come from downstate. It isn't a red/blue thing, upstate/wny can't even get their issues heard.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not as hilarious as India Walton getting her car impounded for $600 in unpaid parking tickets, and the car's inspection was expired.

Byron Brown pulling the strings at City Hall means no low-income resident of the city will ever go unpunished!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Byron Brown pulling the strings at City Hall means no low-income resident of the city will ever go unpunished!

It's politics. And something Ms. Walton brought on herself. Byron Brown didn't illegally park her car or failed to get it inspected. Did she get targeted? Probably. But that's how the game is played. When you vote for someone, all you can go by is how they conduct themselves. If India can't handle the details of her life, how do you expect her to manage a major city?

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, Night Train said:

That's how Biden selected his VP. Ironic.

That's how every vp candidate has been picked for years. 

McCain, picked a white women

Obama, white dude

Trump, actual Christian 

Hillary, white guy

They all pick a vp that represents a voting block they want to appeal too. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

That's how every vp candidate has been picked for years. 

McCain, picked a white women

Obama, white dude

Trump, actual Christian 

Hillary, white guy

They all pick a vp that represents a voting block they want to appeal too. 

Selecting a qualified running mate from a particular demographic in order to shore up support in a particular area, is not really tokenism though. Biden, Kaine, Pence and Harris all have backgrounds that legitimately qualify them for the Vice Presidency. I think it’s fair to have opinions on whether they were the best available candidates, but none were solely a perfunctory or symbolic selection. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

Selecting a qualified running mate from a particular demographic in order to shore up support in a particular area, is not really tokenism though. Biden, Kaine, Pence and Harris all have backgrounds that legitimately qualify them for the Vice Presidency. I think it’s fair to have opinions on whether they were the best available candidates, but none were solely a perfunctory or symbolic selection. 

100% this. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Yet true. Tokenism. It knows no boundries. 

And yet you picked a specific example outside the bounds of the current conversation. Says more about you that you see Kamala Harris as a "token" pick when Archie Lee's point is more accurate to how vps are chosen. 

This is like when PA tries to argue that Don Granato is not qualified to be an NHL head coach. It lacks an objective look at facts and just relies on the reality you want to believe in... so basically modern America. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And yet you picked a specific example outside the bounds of the current conversation. Says more about you that you see Kamala Harris as a "token" pick when Archie Lee's point is more accurate to how vps are chosen. 

This is like when PA tries to argue that Don Granato is not qualified to be an NHL head coach. It lacks an objective look at facts and just relies on the reality you want to believe in... so basically modern America. 

I suspect Terry and his NFL ilk are huge fans of tokenism and I find it to be a huge insult to our collective intelligence.

I used the VP example as proof tokenism isn't exactly new and has always been insulting. Sorry it triggered. 

VP selection is very often decided by factors other than who is the “best qualified candidate” and often it is to appeal to a certain group of voters that might not otherwise be drawn to the ticket.  

I recently learned how and why Roosevelt picked Harry Truman, a person he never knew, to be his last VP running mate, even though he had a VP from prior terms. And of course, as I looked deeper into it, I find there are several interpretations of this story.  

Lincoln wanted to select the radical abolitionist (and, yes, I mean radical) Cassius Marcellus Clay, but he was told he couldn't select someone who would duel every sitting member of the opposition party if he had the chance (Clay--at this point--has already been in 40 or so duels with pro-slavery folks).

Instead, Lincoln selected the rather forgettable Hannibal Hamlin and made Clay the ambassador to Russia. While ambassador to Russia, he convinced the Russian government to tell both Britain and France that if either recognized the Confederacy as an independent country, Russia would declare war on them. That's why, despite France and Britain certainly having a beneficial interest in recognizing and supporting the confederacy, they remained largely sidelined. Russia even sent ships to NY harbor with sealed orders on how to proceed if either Britain or France got involved.

Then, in early 1862, Lincoln was desperate for competent military officers, so he recalled Clay to the US and tried to promote him to Major General. Clay, being a true abolitionist, told Lincoln publicly he wouldn't accept the promotion unless Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation--which Lincoln signed a few months later.

Mid-1863 he returned to Russia to father an illegitimate child continue his work as ambassador. He is the reason we have Alaska today. He was the person who negotiated the Alaska purchase.

Underrated dude who was almost VP. By keeping Britain and France out of the war, he basically saved the Union which was pretty close to losing prior to July of 1863. Then he got Lincoln to free the slaves. And, because that wasn't enough, he decided to buy Alaska.

Also he was completely mental.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I suspect Terry and his NFL ilk are huge fans of tokenism and I find it to be a huge insult to our collective intelligence.

I used the VP example as proof tokenism isn't exactly new and has always been insulting. Sorry it triggered. 

Not "triggered" in the least. I explained my point and am moving on.