NHL Season Start Date: January 13, 2021

nfreeman

Wonder why they chose starting back up on a Wednesday rather than a Friday or Saturday?

Glad it'll be 56 games.  That's at the high end of what had been speculated.

Will be interesting to see if it's a 16 team playoff or another expanded 24 team tourney.  Also, looking forward to see how the divisions shake out, whether they go back to bubble cities, & what, if any, tweaks there are to the rosters.

Surprised am not more psyched about it.  This whole year has just been draining.  Maybe will be more into this when the Sabres send a note updating all those answers.

50 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'm not sure BC, Manitoba and even Alberta will be allowing games in their provinces unless they get some kind of exemption?

I think we find out if current restrictions are extended on December 11th. The way things are going here, they will be extended.

Restrictions here in BC have been extended until Jan. 8, and they include a ban on all indoor adult sports.

The Canucks will be holding training camp elsewhere and hoping Jan. 8 doesn't bring another extension.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Restrictions here in BC have been extended until Jan. 8, and they include a ban on all indoor adult sports.

The Canucks will be holding training camp elsewhere and hoping Jan. 8 doesn't bring another extension.

I was wrong with the 11th, they extended them today as well.

"Holiday gatherings will be outlawed in Manitoba this year as sweeping COVID-19 restrictions will be extended into the new year."

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Wonder why they chose starting back up on a Wednesday rather than a Friday or Saturday?

Will be interesting to see if it's a 16 team playoff or another expanded 24 team tourney.  Also, looking forward to see how the divisions shake out, whether they go back to bubble cities, & what, if any, tweaks there are to the rosters.

Surprised am not more psyched about it.  This whole year has just been draining.  Maybe will be more into this when the Sabres send a note updating all those answers.

They had 16 teams with both lockouts; I can't think of a reason not to go with 16 this time.

Given the travel restrictions, do we assume there will be an all-Canadian division?  Many parts of the US are getting worse with COVID-19.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

They want to open with a big Wednesday Night Rivalry match-up on NBCSN,... Blue Jackets vs Coyotes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Maybe they don't want the 'return of hockey' to be overshadowed by starting on Weekend that is the same date as the divisional playoff round in the NFL?

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

They had 16 teams with both lockouts; I can't think of a reason not to go with 16 this time.

Given the travel restrictions, do we assume there will be an all-Canadian division?  Many parts of the US are getting worse with COVID-19.

1 reason, extra TV money to make up for limited/no fans in attendance.

Would prefer 16 personally.

• Like (+1) 1

Several teams will likely have to navigate state, county, and/or municipal COVID restrictions prohibiting professional sports practices and games.  For example, the Sharks play in Santa Clara County, which currently prohibits all professional sports activities until at least 12/21; this was why the Bills @ 49ers was played at ARI's stadium.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Whereas ending the playoff drought last year was something that to me would have felt cheap due to the late season criteria-change, if they make it an expanded entry from the get go this year, I won't have the same feelings. Though, I bet it stays at 16.

Second bold - I'll get there if we can add a good goalie. 

• Like (+1) 2

If and when the National Hockey League and the Players Association finalize plans for the start of the 2020-21 season, the Winnipeg Jets will be allowed to hold training camp in their home city.

Manitoba’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin confirmed approval for the training camp, even though the province has extended level red restrictions through Jan. 8 as a result of the continuing high numbers of positive COVID-19 cases.

Roussin says the NHL has a proven track record when it comes to being able to train and practice safely. “This is a lot based on the very robust plan that the NHL and its teams have put forward and has already proven to be safe,” said Roussin in response to being asked why the Jets were going to be granted what amounts to special exemption status.

I wonder how long before they start postponing games? Are they going to be playing more like a baseball team visiting a city? Things are getting interesting. 

I wonder if Chevy is going to move Laine now?

• Thanks (+1) 1

I wonder if the owners are salivating at the idea of getting their hands on the vaccine right away. For everyone in the game and maybe even the fans. (I don't wonder but wanted to stop short of something declarative.)

Trying to get fans vaccinated is probably a non-starter, as it would likely be an enormous scandal. But given how few people balked at hockey players getting tested before nursing home residents and staff, I would suspect there's a line of thought that they should make a play on vaccines for players.

Hopefully that will be impossible.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder if the owners are salivating at the idea of getting their hands on the vaccine right away. For everyone in the game and maybe even the fans. (I don't wonder but wanted to stop short of something declarative.)

Trying to get fans vaccinated is probably a non-starter, as it would likely be an enormous scandal. But given how few people balked at hockey players getting tested before nursing home residents and staff, I would suspect there's a line of thought that they should make a play on vaccines for players.

Hopefully that will be impossible.

All bull spit less u show me PA

insider Trading on TSN mentioned the NHL/NHLPA need to work out players deciding to opt out and whether the vaccine will be mandatory for those that don’t. 

The NHL would need approximately 3100 doses to vaccinate 50 people per franchise. 

The Sabres have a sponsorship agreement with Kaleida Health which will be receiving the vaccine in the next few days. 

Could some vaccine vials from the first couple of shipments find their way to KBC in the next few weeks?  It’s not inconceivable. 

There are at least two companies that are working on apps that will service as Vaccine Passports. They will have the QR Code that will display the persons picture and the fact they are vaccinated. As rates drop and the public starts becoming vaccinated. Sporting Venues can use this technology to start allowing fans in. There will be a few hundred HCWs and other Frontline Personnel vaccinated by February who might be interested in purchasing tickets.  This would possibly allow attendance to slowly build up. 

• Like (+1) 3

I mean ya I want hockey back as much as the next person but there's no sense pretending this isn't all bullsh*t. It just is. The Jets are granted special exemption but the government here made an emotional plea for families to not celebrate Christmas, in fact such gatherings are banned and punishable by fine.

Ooook. 

As someone who's followed the guidelines strictly the basic hypocrisy is a bit much to stomach. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I mean ya I want hockey back as much as the next person but there's no sense pretending this isn't all bullsh*t. It just is. The Jets are granted special exemption but the government here made an emotional plea for families to not celebrate Christmas, in fact such gatherings are banned and punishable by fine.

Ooook. 

As someone who's followed the guidelines strictly the basic hypocrisy is a bit much to stomach. 

Yeah can’t visit family at christmas but boxing day the malls will be in a frenzy much like black friday. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

insider Trading on TSN mentioned the NHL/NHLPA need to work out players deciding to opt out and whether the vaccine will be mandatory for those that don’t. 

The NHL would need approximately 3100 doses to vaccinate 50 people per franchise. 

The Sabres have a sponsorship agreement with Kaleida Health which will be receiving the vaccine in the next few days. 

Could some vaccine vials from the first couple of shipments find their way to KBC in the next few weeks?  It’s not inconceivable. 

There are at least two companies that are working on apps that will service as Vaccine Passports. They will have the QR Code that will display the persons picture and the fact they are vaccinated. As rates drop and the public starts becoming vaccinated. Sporting Venues can use this technology to start allowing fans in. There will be a few hundred HCWs and other Frontline Personnel vaccinated by February who might be interested in purchasing tickets.  This would possibly allow attendance to slowly build up. 

Ill be in!  Gonna be first in line reportedly next week.

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.