NHL Season Start Date: January 13, 2021

nfreeman

55 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's written by Paul Hamilton; am taking it with a grain of salt.

And it's been reported for at least a week that January 1 is a pipedream and January 15 is the new target.

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's written by Paul Hamilton; am taking it with a grain of salt.

And it's been reported for at least a week that January 1 is a pipedream and January 15 is the new target.

A lot of attention is on the issue of when the league is going to start. The bigger problem regardless when it starts will be whether the players and staff will be able to avoid being infected when games commence. The infection rate is spiraling out of control everywhere. Unless there is some type of bubble system I don't see how during a compressed schedule multiple teams and players can avoid being infected. Last season's bubble system for the playoffs was an immense challenge that worked. But doing it for a season no matter how it is structured makes this a herculean challenge. 

If you look at the number of college football and basketball games being cancelled and some pro football games being rescheduled for week day games and the increasing number of players not allowed to play because of infections the prospect for an uninterrupted hockey season looks very dim.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I predicted a start of January 15th but I'll be surprised if they start by then. I don't think there will be more than 48 games and It wouldn't shock me if the season is cancelled. 

The thing is if they cancel they will effectively lose their status as a Major Sport; they can't afford to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The thing is if they cancel they will effectively lose their status as a Major Sport; they can't afford to do that.

I don't think that's true. They'd likely start a new proper season in the fall if the vaccinating has the desired effect so they'd still be playing hockey in 2021. Lockouts didn't kill the sport, so this won't either. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think we get a deal by the end of the week and a 52-56 game season that starts January 15. 

This. Bettman will make it happen.

If the players don't come through with the short-term relief some owners need, he will find an alternate  workaround to help them.

The only thing that will stop hockey in January is further COVID escalations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

It's gonna be a long winter once the NFL ends and there's no hockey. 

Honestly no different than the last decade of Sabres hockey for me, with the exception of a handful of seasons where we weren't eliminate until March.

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Honestly no different than the last decade of Sabres hockey for me, with the exception of a handful of seasons where we weren't eliminate until March.

The Sabres have always helped me to stave off the winter blues* by giving me something to look forward to** a few nights a week. Helps to pass the time.

*winter blues is not dependent on Sabres w/l record

**it's more of a ritual of having the game on in the background and not looking forward to "entertaining" hockey

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Getting Closer 

And deferring money is what some teams needed.  This is actually the right answer.  The players shouldn't lose any more money than the economics actually dictate, but teams shouldn't have to declare bankruptcy to make player payroll (especially at the expense of employees making orders of magnitude less).  The players will get their money eventually as they should.  Mildly amazed that Don Fehr could actually play nice.  Was fairly certain that when the alternative was Armageddon that Bettman could (but ONLY if that was the alternative) play nice but getting BOTH of them there is very out of character.  2 negotiations in a row we're watching Saskin-Daley.  Me like.  Maybe there's hope for humanity after all.

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Here we go 

Something to look forward too.  I assume teams that missed the playoffs can probably open camp after Christmas sometime so likely about 3 weeks away for Sabres.

World Juniors will be a nice Segway into the season.  Thank God hockey is back!

• Like (+1) 4

I'm not sure BC, Manitoba and even Alberta will be allowing games in their provinces unless they get some kind of exemption?

I think we find out if current restrictions are extended on December 11th. The way things are going here, they will be extended.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.