NHL Season Start Date: January 13, 2021

nfreeman

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

the top 7 teams from each division... so a 28 team playoff. That's a little excessive. 

Under the circumstances of only having a 56 game season almost every team makes the playoffs. Then the three teams that don't make the playoffs are guaranteed the top three picks in the 2021 draft.

3 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Under the circumstances of only having a 56 game season almost every team makes the playoffs. Then the three teams that don't make the playoffs are guaranteed the top three picks in the 2021 draft.

Just have the top 16 make the playoffs and have the lottery as usual. 56 games means the games matter more and so the playoffs should be limited. 

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Why not just play it safe and cancel the entire season? I miss hockey as much as the next fan, but with covid numbers climbing and what appears to be some resistance from the players on adjustments, not pointing fingers, just following where the information out there takes me, why not just shut her down until next October. Seems to be the common sense choice, at least at this time, no?

Has the NFL shut down? Is the NBA going to have a season in some form? Didn't MLB have playoff games and have a World Series? The NHL will do the same thing that these other pro sports leagues are doing. They will in some way adapt to the challenging health environment. The regular season will belatedly start and the games played will not be a full slate of games. And the playoff structure and number of teams qualifying for the playoffs still have to be determined after negotiations between the players and owners. They will do what has already been done i.e. do the best they can to adapt to the circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Well, they haven't expanded the playoffs in the past when holding ~50 game seasons, so they don't need to add extra teams from a schedule length perspective.

Expecting they go w/ 4 divisions with the vast majority of (if not all) RS games played within the division.  And, because they set the COVID standard last year w/ expanded playoffs to accommodate both a loss of games AFTER the parameters of how to conduct the season had been set AND to help offset revenue losses, expecting they will use COVID as an excuse to keep a 24 team playoff.  (Even the NHL wouldn't be so brazen as to allow all 7 teams from a 7 team Canadian division to make the playoffs.)

Hoping next year they finally get back to 16 teams in the dance.  24 is too many IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

Great piece explaining the current status of talks from Lebrun for those with an Ahtletic sub:

https://theathletic.com/2209381/2020/11/19/nhl-nhlpa-salary-deferral-season/

His conclusion?

"When push comes to shove, I suspect the NHLPA will agree to tweak on some of the salary deferrals, although not at the NHL asking rate, and certainly not without the players getting something in return. Nothing is free in bargaining."

"I’m told Bettman and Fehr continue to talk every day, including Thursday, so the lines of communication remain open. If I had to guess, we’ll be past this brouhaha about a week from now. At least I’m hoping I’m right. For the sake of the sport."

Edited by dudacek

UPDATE FROM DALY:

Possibilities so far, of course may change based on virus

training camp mid -Dec

No border crossing, this season will align geographically 

possible 3 game host team to limit travel

City will determine if fans can be present

Finish the last Stanley Cup game by July 15 before Olympics start

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

3 hours ago, spndnchz said:

UPDATE FROM DALY:

Possibilities so far, of course may change based on virus

training camp mid -Dec

No border crossing, this season will align geographically 

possible 3 game host team to limit travel

City will determine if fans can be present

Finish the last Stanley Cup game by July 15 before Olympics start

So Buffalo won’t be getting fans regardless between COVID and Cuomo’s hatred of WNY

• Sad 1

On 11/23/2020 at 7:04 PM, thewookie1 said:

So Buffalo won’t be getting fans regardless between COVID and Cuomo’s hatred of WNY

This is sad, because upstate NY has the perfect mix of populations to experiment with various compromises on movement and protection.  Too bad.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't see how any of this starts early in the year the way things are going. Football's starting to fall apart. 

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

Growing more and more pessimistic about this season.  

In the same way that sports leagues are able to procure all the testing supplies they need, I imagine the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB will be able to gain access to all the vaccinations it needs for their personnel. Once this is complete the NHL could move forward with fewer concerns of an outbreak 

For the record I disagree with this practice wholeheartedly 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

In the same way that sports leagues are able to procure all the testing supplies they need, I imagine the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB will be able to gain access to all the vaccinations it needs for their personnel. Once this is complete the NHL could move forward with fewer concerns of an outbreak 

Maybe, but I hope they can get through the financial problems or can agree on something else. 

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think when the vaccines become available that those responsible in distributing it will make it a point of emphasis to follow the guidelines for the priority list (seniors, front line workers etc.). I don't see the pro athletes being allowed to jump the line to get it. It would be too obvious and cause a public backlash. Even with the vaccines if the level of infection rate continues to be high, as it is now, it is going to be difficult to contain the spread. The irony is if the basic protocols were followed such as wearing a mask, social distancing, washing hands were done we would be in a much better place. Even with the vaccine I don't see a quick fix, especially for a vaccine that requires two doses.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe, but I hope they can get through the financial problems or can agree on something else. 

Both sides are in agreement that a season has to be played, although there is some speculation by the NHLPA that the only reason the owners agreed to some concessions with the RTP Agreement was they planned on re opening negotiations prior to the next season starting 

Here is a question though, if there is no 2020-21 Season would players such as Dahlin and Jokiharju be considered second year players as they only have two completed seasons or would they be third year players for the purpose of the expansion draft?  If they are considered second year players still, I do not believe they would not need to be protected. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I think when the vaccines become available that those responsible in distributing it will make it a point of emphasis to follow the guidelines for the priority list (seniors, front line workers etc.). I don't see the pro athletes being allowed to jump the line to get it. It would be too obvious and cause a public backlash. Even with the vaccines if the level of infection rate continues to be high, as it is now, it is going to be difficult to contain the spread. The irony is if the basic protocols were followed such as wearing a mask, social distancing, washing hands were done we would be in a much better place. Even with the vaccine I don't see a quick fix, especially for a vaccine that requires two doses.  

The plan is a Four Phase Administration of the Vaccines with HCWs and Frontline Personnel making up a majority of the First Phase. I’m cynical enough to believe that sports leagues which generate billions of dollars of revenue will have the financial wherewithal and the political connections to get into phase 2 of the distribution. The distribution of the vaccine is supposed to be altruistic however the vaccine companies are still a business and if there is a possibility for them to make money they will. Case in point the Seattle Times newspaper had an article about UCLA nursing staff attempting to get tested. There was over 1,200 tests administered to UCLA athletes and they are unable to get testing for the nurses as there is not enough to go around.  The leagues could have quietly signed agreements with the vaccine companies to be at the forefront of distribution. 

Over the next four weeks there will be an exponential increase in cases with the Holidays.  My Census at work has gone from having 25% of My Patients as Covid four weeks ago to 80% last week. 

One unified message from all levels of government about social distancing, the importance of mask wearing would certainly helped in that regard. 

After receiving the first dose of vaccine and the site then the second does it still take approximately six weeks before proper immunity is conferred and it’s has been predicted by Dr Fauci that possibly by the end of summer we might need to see some semblance of normalcy return to the United States.  I think that has a lot to do with how many people are actually willing to take the vaccine. Another idea that I seen floating around, although I don’t know how realistic it actually would be, Is that the government would pay people to receive the vaccine as part of a stimulus package. After receiving both  Vaccine doses, your information would be submitted to a centralized registry and then people would be compensated for this. Again I don’t know how realistic this would actually be though. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I have no problem with groups or organizations that have money getting it first. They pay for the rest of us getting it.

The government put up Billions of $$$ for advanced purchases of the vaccines before the vaccines were determined effective. It was with these guaranteed advanced $$$ that allowed the drug companies to go full throttle with their research because they knew there was an instant market for the product. And it is the government that is accelerating the approval process so that the usual extended time line in the development of the vaccine could dramatically be shortened. My point is that the taxpayers put up a lot of money in financing this extraordinary vaccine project and they assumed much of the financial risk in this project. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The government put up Billions of $$$ for advanced purchases of the vaccines before the vaccines were determined effective. It was with these guaranteed advanced $$$ that allowed the drug companies to go full throttle with their research because they knew there was an instant market for the product. And it is the government that is accelerating the approval process so that the usual extended time line in the development of the vaccine could dramatically be shortened. My point is that the taxpayers put up a lot of money in financing this extraordinary vaccine project and they assumed much of the financial risk in this project. 

Pfizer took no money. Look, all I'm saying is that I'm a fan of rich people overpaying for stuff if it means I get to spend less on the same stuff.

What do you think of the following analysis?

• Most seasons begin in early October and end in early April -- 82 games in 27 weeks.  They then have playoffs from early-mid April to early-mid June -- a maximum of 28 games in 9 weeks.
  • Abbreviated seasons were 48 games to finish the playoffs by the same mid-June deadline; they started towards the end of January.
  • The league will want full if not expanded playoffs.
  • Based on the current trajectory, COVID-19 will not be controlled well enough in the US for it to be practical for teams teams to change countries during the season.

Based on these, I feel safe making the following assumptions

• I assume that the NHL wants the Cup awarded before the 2020 Olympics, which are slated to start 23 July 2021.
  • The NHL might run until, say 21 July 2021.
  • The Canadian teams will be their own division.
  • I expect the season and the playoffs to be compressed with less travel.
  • Teams that missed the playoffs will only get 2 of the 4 weeks they were promised to start the season
  • Most games will be divisional for US teams, but there will be cross-divisional games.

The conclusions I get are

• The season will be 60 games
    • US
      • 3 divisions x 8 teams / division
      • 2 games / team out of division x 16 teams out of division + 4 games / team in division x 7 other teams in division - 32 + 28 = 60 game season
    • Canada
      • 10 games against the 6 other teams = 60 games
    • This probably takes 4 months (120 days), which is typical for this scenario.
      • If there is US travel, there will probably be rotating hubs for inter-divisional games to clear out those games quickly.
      • Divisional games will have similar hub set-ups.
      • To simplify logistics, the inter-divisional games will be in blocks.  For example, although there are better methods, you can have 8 hubs with 1 team from each division in them play all 2 x C( 3, 2 ) = 6 inter-divisional games involving the teams in one fell swoop.
      • I personally would want 2 blocks of games for divisional games.  This blends well with some of the "better methods" I just mentioned.
  • Playoffs will be strictly divisional with no crossover
    • Maybe they will have expanded playoffs to recover revenue from the abbreviated season.

If they don't care about the Olympics, there is nothing stopping a full season and playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.