NHL Season Start Date: January 13, 2021

nfreeman

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The NBA has released their schedule for 20-21.  Not sure what the NHL is doing behind the scenes. 

Play-in tournament is smart.  If you have to cut the season short you have that built in plan.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I miss Sabres hockey

Doesn’t tonight just make you feel it in your gut. It’s a perfect sit at home and watch Sabre’s hockey night. Cold dark night in November. I think the players should take the pay cut and get out there and play. The owners can’t take the whole hit themselves. (I don’t know the details, so just throwing that out there out of frustration I guess) Wouldn’t be surprised if the owners just decide to cancel season rather than pay players. Really hope they work it out. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Doesn’t tonight just make you feel it in your gut. It’s a perfect sit at home and watch Sabre’s hockey night. Cold dark night in November. I think the players should take the pay cut and get out there and play. The owners can’t take the whole hit themselves. (I don’t know the details, so just throwing that out there out of frustration I guess) Wouldn’t be surprised if the owners just decide to cancel season rather than pay players. Really hope they work it out. 

Deferral is not a pay cut. It's a pay delay. They eventually get all they have coming. And from what I've heard on the matter, the players are not opposed to that.

47 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Deferral is not a pay cut. It's a pay delay. They eventually get all they have coming. And from what I've heard on the matter, the players are not opposed to that.

That was good to read.  Thanks, PTR.

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If the only additional concession that the players need to make is the deferral, that is a big win for them.

While I don't think a deferral is that big of an ask, shouldn't they be pissed off that the owners are asking to reopen the CBA only 4 months after it was signed?

That deal was made with the pandemic in mind, nothing has changed in the world since then.

It smacks of the summer time deal being struck in bad faith.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

While I don't think a deferral is that big of an ask, shouldn't they be pissed off that the owners are asking to reopen the CBA only 4 months after it was signed?

That deal was made with the pandemic in mind, nothing has changed in the world since then.

It smacks of the summer time deal being struck in bad faith.

Well, except they'd agreed that further negotiations on deferrals "on an individual basis" might be necessary between teams and players and are allowable under t he MOU.  That they'd expected to be starting in December w/ a full or close to full season & are now looking at a partial season starting around the beginning of February appears to have made that "individual negotiation" necessarily a collective one.

This doesn't really seem like a "reopening" as much as it is an acceptance that the reality of when they'll be able to start the new season is drifting towards the "worst case scenario."

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

If the only additional concession that the players need to make is the deferral, that is a big win for them.

Well, a deferral isn't bad on the surface, but does the split still remain 50-50 with revenue?  If so, the deferral might just be a postponement of a lower cap/lower salary figures.  I mean, maybe I'm missing something but if in the end (whether its this year, next year, or 5 years from now), the eventual total revenue is split 50-50...doesn't every extra dollar the players take now mean less in the future?

On 11/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, Brawndo said:

The article is optimistic. That part about individual teams may have their own deals with their own players was interesting. I remember there was talk some teams might be in real financial trouble. That would be bad, especially if we want hockey back sooner rather than later. Seems strange they could put on, what I thought,  was a great playoffs but can’t get a regular season up and running. Come on guys! 

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Well, a deferral isn't bad on the surface, but does the split still remain 50-50 with revenue?  If so, the deferral might just be a postponement of a lower cap/lower salary figures.  I mean, maybe I'm missing something but if in the end (whether its this year, next year, or 5 years from now), the eventual total revenue is split 50-50...doesn't every extra dollar the players take now mean less in the future?

The 50/50 split is kinda what I was driving at — ie I have been thinking for a while that the increased escrow and flat cap for the next couple of years aren’t going to be nearly enough to preserve the 50/50 split.  If I’m wrong about that and the players just have to defer more cash (instead of, say, taking an across-the-board 30% pay cut), that is a good outcome for the players IMHO.  

NHLPA Board call wrapped up around 6:30 pm ET, went about 2 1/2 hours. No votes taken. Just a discussion. But sources say feeling on the call was that players aren't keen on changing salary deferral/escrow rates from what was already agreed to in June CBA. More discussion needed

The NHL views this as a timing issue. The players are only entitled to 50 % of HRR. The more they take this year, the more they owe (in debt payments) in future years. Which is true. But the NHLPA factored all those factors when it agreed to the new CBA terms in June. So...

Bottom line, more discussion ahead for both the NHLPA internally (whether or not they're ultimately willing to tweak salary deferral and if so, what do they get in return?); and more NHL/NHLPA discussion. The clock is ticking.

Multiple sources are saying Bettman is still hard on wanting to start Jan. 1, meaning they have a week or two to sort this out.

Also the season has to start by sometime in February in order to award the cup by July. They aren't going further into the summer because the highest priority is a "normal' 2021-22 season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-seeking-additional-deferment-player-salaries-raise-escrow-caps/

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

NHLPA Board call wrapped up around 6:30 pm ET, went about 2 1/2 hours. No votes taken. Just a discussion. But sources say feeling on the call was that players aren't keen on changing salary deferral/escrow rates from what was already agreed to in June CBA. More discussion needed

The NHL views this as a timing issue. The players are only entitled to 50 % of HRR. The more they take this year, the more they owe (in debt payments) in future years. Which is true. But the NHLPA factored all those factors when it agreed to the new CBA terms in June. So...

Bottom line, more discussion ahead for both the NHLPA internally (whether or not they're ultimately willing to tweak salary deferral and if so, what do they get in return?); and more NHL/NHLPA discussion. The clock is ticking.

Multiple sources are saying Bettman is still hard on wanting to start Jan. 1, meaning they have a week or two to sort this out.

Also the season has to start by sometime in February in order to award the cup by July. They aren't going further into the summer because the highest priority is a "normal' 2021-22 season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-seeking-additional-deferment-player-salaries-raise-escrow-caps/

Why not just play it safe and cancel the entire season? I miss hockey as much as the next fan, but with covid numbers climbing and what appears to be some resistance from the players on adjustments, not pointing fingers, just following where the information out there takes me, why not just shut her down until next October. Seems to be the common sense choice, at least at this time, no?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Why not just play it safe and cancel the entire season? I miss hockey as much as the next fan, but with covid numbers climbing and what appears to be some resistance from the players on adjustments, not pointing fingers, just following where the information out there takes me, why not just shut her down until next October. Seems to be the common sense choice, at least at this time, no?

I hope not. I think it stinks that our young players are missing out on so much valuable time gaining experience and learning more about the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

It may make sense. 

I have also heard another idea that I didn't like at first, but have been coming around to.  How it happens financially (player salary and revenue) may make it not happen....but some people suggested a 'season' of about 20 'round robin games', followed by a pretty big playoff tournament.  I don't know, as I type it and think about it I go back and forth between liking it and not...but I guess its not that much different than just a short season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Why doesn’t my workplace just shut it down until next October?  It would also be the safest thing to do.

Because people have jobs and investments and no one wants to lose a bunch of money or go without income for a year.  They will have a season if they can.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Fun scenario I came up with to still have a season and then divisional type playoff.

4 new aligned division for this year to add an all Canadien division.

Atlantic Division-

Boston, Buffalo, Washington, NJ, NYI, NYR, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Central Division-

Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis

Western Division-

Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, Arizona, Vegas, LA, San Jose, Anaheim

Canadien Division-

Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

Would love to see a scenario where each team goes to a host city for two weeks and plays each team in the division. They then have travel days to move to a new host city in the division and play each team again.  Not sure if all cities would be able to accommodate this scenario. There would be two games each day and could play each team over the two week period. At the end of the 56 game round robin season, the top 7 teams from each division would advance to a playoff tournament with the top seed getting a bye in the first rd. Similar to this past years tournament. (only three teams would not make post season) 

The whole scenario would be about a 3 month season followed by a two month playoff. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.