Sabres on the cutting edge of sports science?

dudacek

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For those who don't look at sabrespace front page, check out this intriguing article from Forbes magazine:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2020/11/09/the-buffalo-sabres-sports-science-push-offers-a-glimpse-of-the-nhls-data-driven-future/?sh=561878224466

Not surprised, the Bills have led the way with a lot of these things in the NFL since McDermott took over.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

For those who don't look at sabrespace front page, check out this intriguing article from Forbes magazine:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2020/11/09/the-buffalo-sabres-sports-science-push-offers-a-glimpse-of-the-nhls-data-driven-future/?sh=561878224466

Was wondering why they loved Irwin so much. 😉

Edited by Taro T

They're trying.

Which good, because if they weren't trying, they'd be fools.  The future is enormous amounts of real-time biometric, kinematic, and positional data generated by wireless on-player hardware automatically processed and boiled down (by software written by sports scientists) into factors the coaches may use to help make decisions in game situations, fitness/training/conditioning, recovery, tactics/strategy, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Speaking of cutting edge, there's rumblings here and there about some teams thinking of trying 3 D men and 2 forwards at times this year. It's an interesting idea, and maybe when we had all those D men we should have been on that cutting edge. I mean we already used Risto in front on the PP. I don't think we will do this now, but last year, it might have been an idea given how crap our 3rd line forwards were.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Speaking of cutting edge, there's rumblings here and there about some teams thinking of trying 3 D men and 2 forwards at times this year. It's an interesting idea, and maybe when we had all those D men we should have been on that cutting edge. I mean we already used Risto in front on the PP. I don't think we will do this now, but last year, it might have been an idea given how crap our 3rd line forwards were.

It didn't work when the Jets toyed with it after the Ducks-Whimpley trade.  Don't see any reason to expect it to work any better now.

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Source?

eg: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2020/11/07/what-if-the-maple-leafs-experimented-with-three-defencemen-and-two-forwards-its-worth-a-shot.html

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It didn't work when the Jets toyed with it after the Ducks-Whimpley trade.  Don't see any reason to expect it to work any better now.

I suppose it depends on your personnel. Perhaps some of these new age coaches and analysts are looking at the unique way 3 on 3 gets played and see trends in general and thus want to toy with it. Perhaps it comes from Tampa dressing 7 D throughout the playoffs (even though I know they used 3 actual lines).  I dunno, I've just read about it being discussed by the Leafs and Bruins whether or not someone actually tries it remains to be seen but bubble hockey might be the time to experiment on anything. 

On 11/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Punch Imlach was known to protect leads with two forwards and three defencemen.  (I have watched enough parts of old games from the 1930's until I started watching hockey in 1970 to have seen numerous other teams use this tactic.)  Roger Nielson regularly used defencemen (looked it up: particularly Dean Hutchison) with Darryl Sittler and Lanny MacDonald to relieve them of defencive responsibilities until they matured and learnt the NHL game.

I remember reading that one of the reasons players like Jimmy Roberts, Murray Wilson, Red Kelly, and Jerry Korab played both forward and defence is that their teams could play a third forward when protecting a lead or stand in front of the net on the power play.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, PerreaultForever said:

It's interesting, but if they've "been on the cutting edge" since 2015 it might be the wrong edge, and it might be time to cauterize the wound. 

I was fascinated as well until I read 2015. I envision this is the pitch to Monty.....errrrrrr Terry. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Punch Imlach was known to protect leads with two forwards and three defencemen.  (I have watched enough parts of old games from the 1930's until I started watching hockey in 1970 to have seen numerous other teams use this tactic.)  Roger Nielson regularly used defencemen (looked it up: particularly Dean Hutchison) with Darryl Sittler and Lanny MacDonald to relieve them of defencive responsibilities until they matured and learnt the NHL game.

I remember reading that one of the reasons players like Jimmy Roberts, Murray Wilson, Red Kelly, and Jerry Korab played both forward and defence is that their teams could play a third forward when protecting a lead or stand in front of the net on the power play.

You're forgetting Scotty Bowman. Did it with Lindy Ruff. 

Using a D man as a forward was usually to add toughness up front in those days. I think this idea is a little different. It likely comes out of how much D men lead the rush now and I suppose instead of having forwards rotate back to cover for them, the third D man would do that. I'm just guessing . 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.