The College Football Thread

GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, freester said:

Why the SEC commissioner?  Its the BIG 10 commissioner that is incompetent

It's the SEC commissioner that's whining about teams (specifically, non-SEC teams) canceling games, though.

Edited by Eleven

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Told you Captain Tuttle was fake...

Like ND?  I thought they did pretty well with a chance to win in the 4th with their backup QB in his 2nd start.  

Nice win by Northwestern beating Auburn.

Nice of ND to scrimmage against Alabama to keep them fresh for OSU.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Like ND?  I thought they did pretty well with a chance to win in the 4th with their backup QB in his 2nd start.  

I'm not the big ND fan that you might think I am.  I like watching them, because they usually play good teams, meaning it's a good game, not like watching Minnesota against Indiana or Purdue or whatever.

And please google "captain Tuttle."

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

IU played well without its starting QB. Lane Kiffin has done a good job at Ole Miss. The college football bowls and playoffs need to change. It’s the same teams in the playoffs and too many players sit out the bowl games because they are meaningless. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not the big ND fan that you might think I am.  I like watching them, because they usually play good teams, meaning it's a good game, not like watching Minnesota against Indiana or Purdue or whatever.

And please google "captain Tuttle."

I got the MASH reference. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, freester said:

IU played well without its starting QB. Lane Kiffin has done a good job at Ole Miss. The college football bowls and playoffs need to change. It’s the same teams in the playoffs and too many players sit out the bowl games because they are meaningless. 

Just go back to no playoffs.  The arguments were more fun then (about who is #1) than they are now (about who is #4).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Just go back to no playoffs.  The arguments were more fun then (about who is #1) than they are now (about who is #4).

That's not going to happen.  However you can make it better with the 5 big 5 conference champs, plus the highest rated group of 5 team and 2 wild cards.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's not going to happen.  However you can make it better with the 5 big 5 conference champs, plus the highest rated group of 5 team and 2 wild cards.

So we'll argue about who is supposed to be #8?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are adding one more round of games.  Every other division of football plays an actual playoff.  I believe the FCS has a 24 team playoff starting around Thanksgiving.  

Deleted post you're referencing because misread your prior post as advocating for expansion to 12 teams rather than 8.  (Where's the d'oh smiley when you need it?) 

And IMHO those extra rounds of playoffs don't really work unless the big boys are willing to drop their regular seasons down to ~9 games.  Teams have already seem to have been increasing RS's to 12 games.  Can't see them shorten schedules in a normal year when that extra round of playoff bowls don't really add extra money onto the table.  Does changing the designation of 4 regular bowl games to playoff games result in more money than each of the big conferences playing 2-3 extra games (plus all the other schools that would shorten schedules)?  Would players on the 8th place team opt out of their playoff game rather than drop their draft status or risk injury getting destroyed by Bama in the 1st round?  Until there's enough money there to get those answers be yes to the 1st & no to the 2nd, they won't expand.

Plus, how desperately will the Bamas & Clemsons fight expansion of the playoffs as none of those big teams want to risk the injuries of that extra game & more importantly the embarrassment of that once/ decade playoff version of Michigan-Appalachan State?  They'll fight expansion tooth & nail, IMHO.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But at least a team like Cinn gets to compete and the conference championship games mean something.  

There always will be a team like Cincinnati that doesn't get in because the committee wanted another non-deserving team from the PAC-10 or Big 10.  Always.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Deleted post you're referencing because misread your prior post as advocating for expansion to 12 teams rather than 8.  (Where's the d'oh smiley when you need it?) 

And IMHO those extra rounds of playoffs don't really work unless the big boys are willing to drop their regular seasons down to ~9 games.  Teams have already seem to have been increasing RS's to 12 games.  Can't see them shorten schedules in a normal year when that extra round of playoff bowls don't really add extra money onto the table.  Does changing the designation of 4 regular bowl games to playoff games result in more money than each of the big conferences playing 2-3 extra games (plus all the other schools that would shorten schedules)?  Would players on the 8th place team opt out of their playoff game rather than drop their draft status or risk injury getting destroyed by Bama in the 1st round?  Until there's enough money there to get those answers be yes to the 1st & no to the 2nd, they won't expand.

Plus, how desperately will the Bamas & Clemsons fight expansion of the playoffs as none of those big teams want to risk the injuries of that extra game & more importantly the embarrassment of that once/ decade playoff version of Michigan-Appalachan State?  They'll fight expansion tooth & nail, IMHO.

I said 5 conference champs (that’s five teams) plus the highest rated group of 5 team (1 team) and 2 wild card teams.  That’s 8 total teams.  

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I said 5 conference champs (that’s five teams) plus the highest rated group of 5 team (1 team) and 2 wild card teams.  That’s 8 total teams.  

Yes.  And that's why the post you quote said it was initially a misread that you'd meant 12 when you actually meant 8.  As already stated, had originally read your line about taking the best of the next 5 as taking the next 5 rather than 1 of them.  But, thank you for reclarifying something that had already been clarified and subsequently rectified.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

I think 12 is a good number. 10 conference winners and two wild cards and give the top four a bye week. The first round games should be much better football with the top four getting byes.

That's a terrible number. 6 is good, 8 is max. 

10 conference winners is bad. No one wants to watch MAC v SEC champion. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's a terrible number. 6 is good, 8 is max. 

10 conference winners is bad. No one wants to watch MAC v SEC champion. 

The MAC would likely need to beat a 5 seed to play the SEC champion. If they do that why shouldn’t they be able to play the SEC?

Edited by #freejame

48 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The MAC would likely need to beat a 5 seed to play the SEC champion. If they do that why shouldn’t they be able to play the SEC?

Let's not even use alabama. Let's say Georgia is sec champ. UB rolls in with their running game... and gets destroyed. No one wants to watch that 50-3 beat down. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's not even use alabama. Let's say Georgia is sec champ. UB rolls in with their running game... and gets destroyed. No one wants to watch that 50-3 beat down. 

There are drubbings every year in the four man playoffs but we still do those and deem them inconclusive. The truth is, the best team in college football probably wins the title every year as it is. There are too many teams on the outside with undefeated seasons that want their chance to get whooped up on, let them have their fun. Who knows, crazier upsets have happened. 

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

Watch the NCAA basketball selection show sometime.  Watch 8 Pac 10 and 8 Big 10 and 6 big 12 teams get in because ratings.  They don't belong and we all know it.

The same will apply to your ill-thought playoff system.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh come on, we love watching ND play in the CFP every year.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.