The College Football Thread

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Well played Michigan. Use covid as an excuse to screw your arch rival. So 2020 of you. This will certainly be an interesting chapter in the annals of this almost 125 year rivalry.

Should OSU not get into the B10 championship game on a technicality, it'll be Khaki's biggest win since going back to his Alma Mater.  

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Should OSU not get into the B10 championship game on a technicality, it'll be Khaki's biggest win since going back to his Alma Mater.  

Yeah his only big win I can think of.  And the fact that his biggest win is by not playing at all is pretty telling.  It's ok, he can come back to the NFL.  Better for the Bills.  He's a bad coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

Yeah his only big win I can think of.  And the fact that his biggest win is by not playing at all is pretty telling.  It's ok, he can come back to the NFL.  Better for the Bills.  He's a bad coach.

You are clueless to say Harbaugh is a bad coach.  He led 2 teams to NFC championship game and had success at Stanford and San Diego state. Michigan is not going to compete with Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson.  Michigan has much higher admission standards and will not admit criminals and illiterates. Michigan has largely struggled due to absence of a stud QB.

1 minute ago, freester said:

You are clueless to say Harbaugh is a bad coach.  He led 2 teams to NFC championship game and had success at Stanford and San Diego state. Michigan is not going to compete with Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson.  Michigan has much higher admission standards and will not admit criminals and illiterates. Michigan has largely struggled due to absence of a stud QB.

So now Michigan fans are using the old Notre Dame "our admission standards are too high" excuse to shrug off poor coaching &/or recruiting?  Top coaches can win regardless of the constraints as Kelly is showing at ND.

My wife & son are hoping the MU AD sees things your way.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, freester said:

Michigan competed just fine before Harbaugh.  And at times during Harbaugh, but he can't beat Ohio State and he's had other bad losses against other good teams.  Coaches lose their skill sometimes.  It happens.  Also, maybe he was set up well in other situations that led to his success?  It's a much different animal at Michigan vs. the PAC 12 (except USC) or Mountain West.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So now Michigan fans are using the old Notre Dame "our admission standards are too high" excuse to shrug off poor coaching &/or recruiting?  Top coaches can win regardless of the constraints as Kelly is showing at ND.

Yes, they are doing that.  It's been creeping up for years and getting louder.  We can't beat Ohio State because our standards are too high vs theirs.  Blah, blah, blah

But back to the original point, them canceling "The Game" for any reason, given the history and rivalry, is a really bad look for them.  History will not be kind.  I can't wait to see the T-shirts next year.  Like the "p" word in Michigan colors and font.

26 minutes ago, freester said:

Oh and one more thought.  Who's fault is it that they haven't recruited or developed a "stud" QB? 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You have a short memory. It was just a few years ago,  Irish fans were calling for Kelly to be fired.  Notre Dame is a great program but they don't compete with the big 3. and beating Clemson with a true freshman qb doesn't count.

4 minutes ago, freester said:

You have a short memory. It was just a few years ago,  Irish fans were calling for Kelly to be fired.  Notre Dame is a great program but they don't compete with the big 3. and beating Clemson with a true freshman qb doesn't count.

They were calling for Kelly to get canned back before the Pegulas owned the Sabres.  But he turned things around after that program was in shambles after Willingham & Weiss were through. 

Khaki inherited a program in much better shape when Fred Savage's Wonder Years dad doppelganger stepped down than Kelly got.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, freester said:

He isn't a bad coach.  He isn't a good coach at Michigan.  He loses the big recruiting battles every year.  I think he'd be fine back in the NFL, where he doesn't have to worry about that.  (Look for him in LA next year.)

As for the admission standards, sorry; Michigan plays the same game as every most other D-I teams.  UNC is a very good school, too, but I think we've seen what its basketball program does.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m just shocked that the Big10 changed the rules for OSU.  Go NW!

Yeah good luck with that.

I know it's 2020, and it's a very strange year, but given the state of the BIG 10, and the way Ohio State has played in the games they've had, there's no way they weren't making the playoff if this was a normal year. And as I said before, it's all about the money, especially this year, and the BIG 10 is no exception.

At least they'll give Alabama a game, unlike most of the alternatives.

3 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Yeah good luck with that.

I know it's 2020, and it's a very strange year, but given the state of the BIG 10, and the way Ohio State has played in the games they've had, there's no way they weren't making the playoff if this was a normal year. And as I said before, it's all about the money, especially this year, and the BIG 10 is no exception.

At least they'll give Alabama a game, unlike most of the alternatives.

No they won’t.  Their secondary is awful.  IU passed for over 400 yards.  Matt Jones is going to have a field day.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No they won’t.  Their secondary is awful.  IU passed for over 400 yards.  Matt Jones is going to have a field day.

Yeah that's college football. The difference is that the Buckeyes can keep up.

I guess all we can do is see what happens.

48 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Yeah that's college football. The difference is that the Buckeyes can keep up.

I guess all we can do is see what happens.

I'm sorry but they can't get into a shoot-out with Bama and hope to win.  Their offense is excellent but it can be stopped as IU proved in the second half of their game.  Bama's D is far superior to Indiana's.  OSU will be lucky to keep it close. 

18 hours ago, Eleven said:

He isn't a bad coach.  He isn't a good coach at Michigan.  He loses the big recruiting battles every year.  I think he'd be fine back in the NFL, where he doesn't have to worry about that.  (Look for him in LA next year.)

As for the admission standards, sorry; Michigan plays the same game as every most other D-I teams.  UNC is a very good school, too, but I think we've seen what its basketball program does.

I think that is exactly it. It also strikes me: He may not be a very good recruiter. The Harbaughs both strike me as better fits in the NFL.

As for this, the NCAA's findings of long-running, pervasive academic fraud at Chapel Hill tell part of that story. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2020 at 11:11 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

They have a choice keep the Michigan guy who the boosters like or get rid of him.  

This can not be understated.  The boosters at Big 10 schools have way too much sway over the big sports teams and the academics.  (I would bet it is just as bad in other major conferences.)  Moreover,UM's pride in its football programme is as over-the-top as UNC's about its basketball programme.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think that is exactly it. It also strikes me: He may not be a very good recruiter. The Harbaughs both strike me as better fits in the NFL.

As for this, the NCAA's findings of long-running, pervasive academic fraud at Chapel Hill tell part of that story. 

Michigan has much higher academic standards than UNC for athletes. I think that is part of Harbaughs frustration with the administration. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Laissez bon temps roule.  😉

But in the article, they talk about 1 dad that received a cushy no-show job and identified him as "Individual C" but named his son.  WTF.  Either you are protecting his anonymity (which probably isn't right) or you're not and you name him; but what is this 1/2 arsed 'keeping him anonymous' while naming his son?!?!?  

Keep up those great journalism standards, ESPN. 

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Laissez bon temps roule.  😉

But in the article, they talk about 1 dad that received a cushy no-show job and identified him as "Individual C" but named his son.  WTF.  Either you are protecting his anonymity (which probably isn't right) or you're not and you name him; but what is this 1/2 arsed 'keeping him anonymous' while naming his son?!?!?  

Keep up those great journalism standards, ESPN. 

ESPN is deliberately naming the son.  (It also named the father later in the article.)  ESPN isn't the one trying to keep it confidential.

That said, I still don't like ESPN.

1 hour ago, freester said:

I don't think you have any knowledge of the Michigan program at all.  This has been a recurring problem with numerous top recruits not being approved by the admissions office.

Every top school in every Power 5 conference has at least one case of academic fraud which I know of where I personally know the person who was forced to accede it.  Granted my information is old and that, I imagine, many institutions probably cleaned up at least a bit after the UNC scandal, but I know that you are incontrovertibly wrong. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

ESPN is deliberately naming the son.  (It also named the father later in the article.)  ESPN isn't the one trying to keep it confidential.

That said, I still don't like ESPN.

Thanks.

Somehow missed the dad being named.  (Where's the d'oh smiley when you need it.)

On 12/9/2020 at 2:42 PM, Eleven said:

Didn’t UNC invent correspondence school for Athletes?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.