The College Football Thread

GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, BagBoy said:

UNC basketball got a little bad press a few years ago.  That was then.  Then came the multiple NCAA investigations.  Then came NOTHING in terms of scandal or penalties for the BB program. 

Well, yeah, but it wasn't because they were innocent of wrongdoing.  That was a huge academic scandal that should have been punished severely.

But it's the NCAA and the hockey equivalent of "Most Favored Teams".

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, Thwomp! said:

Didn't Michigan somehow get the Fab Five?  They'd make it work if Harbaugh could actually get a big catch.

That was 30 years ago.  Times have changed at some schools.  Michigan has only taken a few JUCO transfers in. its history.  There is a huge difference in admission standards for recruited athletes between Michigan and Ohio State.

1 hour ago, freester said:

That was 30 years ago.  Times have changed at some schools.  Michigan has only taken a few JUCO transfers in. its history.  There is a huge difference in admission standards for recruited athletes between Michigan and Ohio State.

You're going to have a tough time convincing me that any big football program except ND and Stanford* isn't playing the same game.  I don't care if it's an excellent academic school (Texas, Michigan) or a crap academic school (Arizona State, Florida State) or something in between.  The big programs are all lowering standards, considerably, for football players.

*You can add Cal and BC to this list if you consider them to be big football programs.  I don't.

Just now, Eleven said:

You're going to have a tough time convincing me that any big football program except ND and Stanford* isn't playing the same game.  I don't care if it's an excellent academic school (Texas, Michigan) or a crap academic school (Arizona State, Florida State) or something in between.  The big programs are all lowering standards, considerably, for football players.

*You can add Cal and BC to this list if you consider them to be big football programs.  I don't.

I’m not saying Michigan has the same standards for athletes as the rest of its student body, but different schools have radically different levels of tolerance for illiteracy and criminal behavior and Juco transfers. 

7 hours ago, freester said:

I’m not saying Michigan has the same standards for athletes as the rest of its student body, but different schools have radically different levels of tolerance for illiteracy and criminal behavior and Juco transfers. 

It's a business, a really big business for some conferences. A super important business for many of the smaller schools where athletics money helps to keep the entire system afloat. Michigan's football subsidiary has been making some bad business decisions for the past 20 years. 

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The dumbest penalty I've seen in a long time may have just lost Florida the game and a playoff spot.... Just wow. 

They weren’t beating Alabama anyway.  Love watching the Gators lose

How long until Wilson is a meme?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Probably 2 minutes ago 😂😂

It's even better because I'm in Florida right now, driving to the everglades tomorrow.... Guess I'll poke the bear while I'm out and about 😈

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But if they played Bama tough they still would have probably been final four, especially if ND loses to Clemson. Now it’s most assuredly Clemson, Alabama, ND and Ohio State if Clemson wins and Alabama, ND, Ohio State and either USC or Texas A & M if Clemson loses. All apologies to Cincinnati.

12 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The dumbest penalty I've seen in a long time may have just lost Florida the game and a playoff spot.... Just wow. 

And yet I can see Vince Wilfork getting away with it and the guy retrieving his shoe while the clock ticks down against whatever team the Pats were playing.

Edited by Eleven

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

But if they played Bama tough they still would have probably been final four, especially if ND loses to Clemson. Now it’s most assuredly Clemson, Alabama, ND and Ohio State if Clemson wins and Alabama, ND, Ohio State and either USC or Texas A & M if Clemson loses. All apologies to Cincinnati.

No, even if the had beaten LSU, a loss to Alabama finishes them.  They’d have two losses with the other loss to one loss A&M.  They wouldn’t  put Fla in over A&M.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.