Sabres Sign Goalie Dustin Tokarski to a 2 Year Deal

Brawndo

This is a move to meet expansion draft requirements.  Each team has to leave at least one goalie unprotected in the expansion draft, and with Johansson a likely Group VI UFA next year, we could have been left without an eligible goalie to leave unprotected.  Tokarski will now be that guy, and he's also not a half bad AHL netminder.

Edited by Shootica
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Could also mean the Johansson loan to Germany is permanent.

True.  But it definitely puts an end to the mild hand wringing regarding whether the Sabres would have a goalie to expose to Seattle.

PS - Saddened at the loss of your father.  You and yours have my condolences. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

True.  But it definitely puts an end to the mild hand wringing regarding whether the Sabres would have a goalie to expose to Seattle.

PS - Saddened at the loss of your father.  You and yours have my condolences. 

Yeah, he was a wonderful man and a great friend.  it's been 5 weeks and I'm still struggling with it.

This one is a little odd to me.

I mean, I can see them wanting a veteran goalie as competition/insurance.

But Lukkonnen needs to at least compete for a 1B spot in Rochester this year for development purposes. And Johansen is a good AHL goalie who still has some developmental upside. And Housser is signed for Cincy.

You can say the plan is to have Tokarski essentially function as a practice squad guy while UPL get lots of playing time between the Amerks and Cincy.

But capfriendly has Tokarski on a one-way two-year deal at $725,000 AAV. That's not the contract you give a practice squad goalie. That's the contract you give a veteran #3, like Hammond got last year. JJ is making $200,000 in the AHL on a two-way. Tokarski didn't have an NHL contract last year.

And then there's the whole issue of being in the market for another NHL goalie, and what happens with Hutton.

Unless the capfriendly numbers are off, or the organization really doesn't trust Lukkonnen, there doesn't seem to be a spot for everyone.

It's just weird. Something else has to drop.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yeah, he was a wonderful man and a great friend.  it's been 5 weeks and I'm still struggling with it.

Condolences to you and your family for your loss. Having a loving relationship with a parent/s is a blessing that not all family members have.  The lasting tribute to your father is that he instilled not only love but also values that you now pass on to your own family. Best wishes. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

But Lukkonnen needs to at least compete for a 1B spot in Rochester this year for development purposes. And Johansen is a good AHL goalie who still has some developmental upside. And Housser is signed for Cincy.

You can say the plan is to have Tokarski essentially function as a practice squad guy while UPL get lots of playing time between the Amerks and Cincy.

But capfriendly has Tokarski on a one-way two-year deal at $725,000 AAV. That's not the contract you give a practice squad goalie. That's the contract you give a veteran #3, like Hammond got last year. JJ is making $200,000 in the AHL on a two-way. Tokarski didn't have an NHL contract last year.

And then there's the whole issue of being in the market for another NHL goalie, and what happens with Hutton.

Unless the capfriendly numbers are off, or the organization really doesn't trust Lukkonnen, there doesn't seem to be a spot for everyone.

My sense is that the Sabres are going with Hutton as the backup. Many people assume that Hutton will be dispatched for another goalie. I just don't see it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

My sense is that the Sabres are going with Hutton as the backup. Many people assume that Hutton will be dispatched for another goalie. I just don't see it. 

Unfortunately, you are right on.  I can't believe that they couldn't improve the position in this market, but apparently Dustin and some dude who is 20 from the freaking SEL or whatever (Liger don't you dare correct me after shutting down a thread because I posted a Seinfeld clip) is enough.

@dudacek They dispatched Johansson to Germany.  Who says he is returning?

Now you have Ullmark and Hutton in Buffalo.  UPL and Dustin for the AHL.  Johansson getting big minutes in Germany and Houser in the ECHL.

It also solves any expansion issues and gives us a 3rd goalie with reasonable NHL experience.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

But it’s not a one way contract.  It’s a 2-way contract.

The answer may be as simple as Johansson is going to stay in Europe for the season and/or they wanted someone they knew they could expose in expansion.  Also, with the condensed schedule, I think the possibility of a season with expanded rosters and possibly using/carrying 3 goalies at times is very real.

Chill everyone, it’s just Dustin Tokarski on a 2-way contract.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Unfortunately, you are right on.  I can't believe that they couldn't improve the position in this market, but apparently Dustin and some dude who is 20 from the freaking SEL or whatever (Liger don't you dare correct me after shutting down a thread because I posted a Seinfeld clip) is enough.

Anyone who shuts down a thread because of a Seinfeld clip nakedly lacks humor. 

Edited by JohnC

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Now you have Ullmark and Hutton in Buffalo.  UPL and Dustin for the AHL.  Johansson getting big minutes in Germany and Houser in the ECHL.

It also solves any expansion issues and gives us a 3rd goalie with reasonable NHL experience.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

But it’s not a one way contract.  It’s a 2-way contract.

The answer may be as simple as Johansson is going to stay in Europe for the season and/or they wanted someone they knew they could expose in expansion.  Also, with the condensed schedule, I think the possibility of a season with expanded rosters and possibly using/carrying 3 goalies at times is very real.

Chill everyone, it’s just Dustin Tokarski on a 2-way contract.

Ah, they updated it. It was listed as a one-way when I posted. That sends a different message

And don't know why they would re-sign Johansson with the intent of playing him in Europe. I guess it's possible but I don't see the rationale. The idea of emergency depth and a player to expose to Seattle makes more sense.

And to be clear, I'm not excited. I'm just found it curious. I'm mostly concerned that he represents an obstacle to playing time for Lukkonnen.

But if UPL is as good as we need him to be, he should overcome it.

Edited by dudacek

I'm going to assume for arguments sake that the AHL, like the NHL, will play a compressed schedule.  To me that means you need a ton of goaltending and at least 2 decent goalies at both levels so that no one is getting over-played.  Now we have 5 goalies for the two levels, but injuries are bound to happen in a compressed schedule  environment, meaning having 5 AHL or better level goalies is smart.  Also if UPL proves he still isn't AHL ready, then Jo Jo call also be brought home.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think this may be it too.

I'm with @Eleven, it's wildly disappointing if that ends up being the case, but I think there's a reasonable chance our roster is set, now. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

In another variation Buffalo News is theorizing that the Sabres may leave Lukkonnen in Finland and run Tokarski and Johansson.

Certainly a reasonable conclusion, but I'd rather have UPL here to monitor his development and leave Jo Jo in Germany since we kind of know what he is at this point.

Execute Order... 25.

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Where does all this leave Portillo? I thought he was doing really well? Still not ready for AHL?

Portillo will be at University of Michigan whenever they next play. He was good in the USHL, next step is college. It's likely a couple years before he heads to Rochester.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.