Marcus Davidsson (2017, 37th pick) has terminated contract with Vaxjo

LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Bust?

Not being able to play regularly for an average SEL team as he nears his 22nd birthday certainly indicates some serious questions.

He put up decent numbers two years back, played on the national team and was always kinda touted as a Swedish Curtis Brown.

Be interesting to hear his story. Kid was the 37th overall pick.

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hopefully he finds a landing spot. He’s a nice player. I wonder if Sabres can bring him over to play in Rochester.

It's interesting that they haven't signed him yet and it tells me the organization has serious questions.

I always thought of him as Asplund 2.  Now it looks like he maybe farther then ever from being in the NHL, but as we saw with Murray and Jonas Johansson prospects don’t always develop on schedule. Probably to soon to write him off completely, but no looking good.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I’ve often (ok not that often) wondered how the Sabres scouting staff come ma up with some of these picks.  Are they just driving around Sweden looking for pickup hockey games hoping to spy a kid who it lighting it up.  Nothing from this kids past screams NHL talent.  

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

Bust?

Only a second round pick so was never likely to make it. But if that's your definition of bust, it appears that may be the case. He hasn't had a good trajectory since being drafted, but you never know. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I always thought of him as Asplund 2.  Now it looks like he maybe farther then ever from being in the NHL, but as we saw with Murray and Jonas Johansson prospects don’t always develop on schedule. Probably to soon to write him off completely, but no looking good.

Isn't this one of the guys you had listed as having a reasonable chance to make it, in support of Botterill's poor drafting? 😉

Anyways, this so far looks like one of his poorer picks. 

Edited by Thorny

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve often (ok not that often) wondered how the Sabres scouting staff come ma up with some of these picks.  Are they just driving around Sweden looking for pickup hockey games hoping to spy a kid who it lighting it up.  Nothing from this kids past screams NHL talent.  

It was Botterill, and the CHL was "DO NOT DRAFT" after round 1 (and hopefully that's done). 

So I'm gonna say.......yes. That's probably exactly what happened. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, inkman said:

A quick google search found two sites that had him ranked in the top 60 so it’s not like he wasn’t a prospect.

Again, you can’t judge these things in a vacuum. I’m sure LGRM can tell us how many guys drafted after him are still legitimate prospects.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

At the time he was drafted, Davidsson was a totally reasonable 2nd round pick.  He was not obscure or unknown.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It was Botterill, and the CHL was "DO NOT DRAFT" after round 1 (and hopefully that's done). 

So I'm gonna say.......yes. That's probably exactly what happened. 

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

A quick google search found two sites that had him ranked in the top 60 so it’s not like he wasn’t a prospect.

Again, you can’t judge these things in a vacuum. I’m sure LGRM can tell us how many guys drafted after him are still legitimate prospects.

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

At the time he was drafted, Davidsson was a totally reasonable 2nd round pick.  He was not obscure or unknown.

Ok.  Can I get a guy that has more than single digit goals?  I’m not asking for these yahoos scoring 90 goals in the Q but some predraft production would be cool.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ok.  Can I get a guy that has more than single digit goals?  I’m not asking for these yahoos scoring 90 goals in the Q but some predraft production would be cool.   

At age 17, in his age appropriate junior league, he had 6 goals and 10 pts in 9 games.  He also had 5 goals and 9 points playing 45 games in the SHL, a men’s league of roughly equivalent talent level to the AHL, as a 17 year old.

Thats pretty good.  It’s not easy to play against men as a 17 year old.

Stats:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/240720/marcus-davidsson

2016-17   Age 17/18   Djurgarden   45GP / 9P (0.200P/GP - NHLe 9.5P)

(drafted by Buffalo 37th overall)

2017-18   Age 18/19   Djurgarden   39GP / 21P (0.538P/GP - NHLe 25.6P)

2018-19   Age 19/20   Djurgarden  52GP / 27P (0.519P/GP - NHLe 24.7P)

2019-20   Age 20/21   Vaxjo   31GP / 13P (0.419P/GP - NHLe 19.9P)

2020-21   Age 21/22   Vaxjo   12GP / 1P (0.083P/GP - NHLe 3.9P)

Thoughts:

If he doesn't show immediate improvement at the SHL level, his development arch is showing flame out.  A 2nd round pick F on has an 18% chance to play more than 200 NHL games.  At age 18, he looked very good, but he's not trending in the right direction at age 22.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Isn't this one of the guys you had listed as having a reasonable chance to make it, in support of Botterill's poor drafting? 😉

Well, I think he pretty much had all of them with a reasonable chance of making it, so yeah, this would be one of them.  😀

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.