Who is the better hockey player: Skinner or Reinhart

LGR4GM

better skinner reinhart  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which player is better right now?

• Skinner, Jeff
    • Reinhart, Samson
  2. 2. Which player will be better in 2 years?

• Skinner, Jeff
    • Reinhart, Samson

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

If you didn't count the 1 assist in 9 game season, you'd have come up with a number greater than 30, not less than. Unless you suck at doing math. 

Sam's assists totals each of the past 5 seasons....

That's 145 assists... 145/5 = 29a per season

Checkmate.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No cares about winning the internet but I personally care about being called dumb and ppl using fake made up numbers to do it. 

LOL... fake numbers, what?   And please show me where I called anybody dumb, I'll be waiting.

Again, I presented two data points.

1. He's averaged 29a per season over the past 5 seasons.   (145 total / 5 seasons = 29)
  2. Next I calculated his career per game average and extrapolated that over an 82 game season, which IIRC came out to just under 30a per season.

At no point did I use any "fake numbers" or call anybody dumb.   

Frankly it's tiresome, every time somebody disagrees with you they face a barrage of accusations about how they're so obviously wrong because  either they statistics are made up or math is wrong,, etc, etc...

Let me remind you, you're the one who presented the question about who is a better hockey player.  I'm simply presenting evidence to counter those arguments suggesting Sam is an elite top line winger who drives play with elite vision and passing    Obviously I disagree, and I've presented evidence to back that up.    You're the "expert,"  where are all the numbers to back up your claims?   

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is a pretty solid troll game tbh. I concede defeat. 

How am I trolling anybody?  I've been very clear about the data I've presented.   

And to be honest, why do you care so much about that 9 game 1 assist season?   I barely moves the needle for his career average, so who cares.

What is clear tho, is some folks on here have an agenda, and that's simply to try their hardest to discredit anybody who disagrees with them.   That said, my skin is thick enough that I don't mind at all engaging in those healthy sometimes heated discussions, but this finger pointing of "he called somebody dumb"... or "he made up fake numbers" type of takes just gets really old and frankly is just plain childish.       

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, pi2000 said:

How am I trolling anybody?  I've been very clear about the data I've presented.   

And to be honest, why do you care so much about that 9 game 1 assist season?   I barely moves the needle for his career average, so who cares.

What is clear tho, is some folks on here have an agenda, and that's simply to try their hardest to discredit anybody who disagrees with them.   That said, my skin is thick enough that I don't mind at all engaging in those healthy sometimes heated discussions, but this finger pointing of "he called somebody dumb"... or "he made up fake numbers" type of takes just gets really old and frankly is just plain childish.       

I honestly don't get it. I know you know those numbers didn't account for a per 82 game average, which is how everyone always frames it. 

Just now, Thorny said:

I honestly don't get it. I know you know those numbers didn't account for a per 82 game average, which is how everyone always frames it. 

I disagree with the bolded.    Anytime somebody says player X has averaged Y over the past N seasons... I take that as the total of Y divided by N.    Not an extrapolated 82 game season average.    Those are two very distinct slices of data.    I apologize if I misled you, that was not my intent, I'll try to be more clear in the future.

On 11/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, pi2000 said:

Hammymath Matters!

Seriously tho... No, I did not count the 1 assist in 9 game season...   I took the mean of the previous 5 seasons.    

Let me put it this way, in 400 career NHL games he has 146 assists, or 0.365 assists/gm... which comes out to 29.93 assists per 82 game season... so I stand corrected... he averages <30 assists per full season, NOT <29 assists per full season. 

Over the past 5 seasons he ranks 68th in the league in assists by forwards.... 87th when considering at ALL skaters.     All of this while playing with a top 5 center, 

Elite vision and passing?   hmmmmmmm    

What's interesting is that Sam's best season (43a) came when he was playing with Skinner who had 40 tucks.     I'd argue Skinner's elite skating and finish ability inflated Reinharts' assist total that season..  so who's the better hockey player?

Seriously. 

Edited by Thorny

23 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

At no point did I use any "fake numbers" or call anybody dumb.   

21 hours ago, pi2000 said:

wrong. i used the mean of his previous 5 seasons which does not include the 9 game season.

I even tried to dumb it down for you by calculating his career per game avg... still over your head, smh.

You're right, much more civilized. 

What the hell else is the connotation of that sentence if not for that? Just stop. 

Edited by Thorny

Again, 2 distinct data points...

1 - mean of previous 5 seasons = 29a / season (which clearly does not include 9 game 1 assist season, as that was 6 seasons ago, not 5)

2 - career average of 0.365a per game, or 29.93a per season (includes 9 game 1 assist season since I clearly state "400 career NHL games") 

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

1 - mean of previous 5 seasons = 29a / season (which clearly does not include 9 game 1 assist season, as that was 6 seasons ago, not 5)

2 - career average of 0.365a per game, or 29.93a per season (includes 9 game 1 assist season since I clearly state "400 career NHL games") 

This is a troll. You KNOW we want to do the mean of the previous 5, over 82 games. We've said it countless times. 

It's ridiculously disingenuous to suggest your #1 is as valid a data point when there was a SHORTENED SEASON

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You're right, much more civilized. 

What the hell else is the connotation of that sentence if not for that? Just stop. 

Really?  You're offended because I used the phrase "dumb it down"?   

Wow, ok, hey I'm sorry then.

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Imagine saying that full sentence out loud to a friend or a family member.

- - - 

I'm not offended. But I'm going to call you out for clowning out. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

This is a troll. You KNOW we want to do the mean of the previous 5, over 82 games. We've said it countless times. 

I must be dumb because I honestly don't know what you're talking about or how I could have presented the data any more clearly. 

Let me do this then because it seems to be what you've been asking for....

Over the past 5 seasons he's played 391 games and has 145 assists, which is 0.3708 assists per game.   

That's an average of 30.41a over an 82 game season... which is 0.5 assists more than his career 82 game average of 29.93a.

He's only played 82 games twice, so it doesn't even matter.    For example, when the league hands out awards, or does statistical rankings, they don't care what your point totals would be had you played an entire 82 game season.      It's the season total that matters, not extrapolated values... that makes no sense.  

This literally changes nothing whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I am not offended but you didn't "dumb it down" you used questionable math. 

50 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Let me do this then because it seems to be what you've been asking for....

Over the past 5 seasons he's played 391 games and has 145 assists, which is 0.3708 assists per game.   

That's an average of 30.41a over an 82 game season... which is 0.5 assists more than his career 82 game average of 29.93a.

He's only played 82 games twice, so it doesn't even matter.    For example, when the league hands out awards, or does statistical rankings, they don't care what your point totals would be had you played an entire 82 game season.      It's the season total that matters, not extrapolated values... that makes no sense.  

This literally changes nothing whatsoever. 

And he's played 79 twice so... 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I mean you can do that if you want but I don't think that's a good way to do it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.