Who is the better hockey player: Skinner or Reinhart

LGR4GM

better skinner reinhart  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which player is better right now?

• Skinner, Jeff
    • Reinhart, Samson
  2. 2. Which player will be better in 2 years?

• Skinner, Jeff
    • Reinhart, Samson

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hammymath Matters!

Seriously tho... No, I did not count the 1 assist in 9 game season...   I took the mean of the previous 5 seasons.    

Let me put it this way, in 400 career NHL games he has 146 assists, or 0.365 assists/gm... which comes out to 29.93 assists per 82 game season... so I stand corrected... he averages <30 assists per full season, NOT <29 assists per full season. 

Over the past 5 seasons he ranks 68th in the league in assists by forwards.... 87th when considering at ALL skaters.     All of this while playing with a top 5 center, 

Elite vision and passing?   hmmmmmmm    

What's interesting is that Sam's best season (43a) came when he was playing with Skinner who had 40 tucks.     I'd argue Skinner's elite skating and finish ability inflated Reinharts' assist total that season..  so who's the better hockey player?

Reinhart did not play with a top 5 center the last 5 years. The only year that could be considered true is last year. 

Also, if you take away those first 9 games and the 1 assist that comes with them, that average goes up to 30.4 assists per season which would mean he averages >30 assists per full season. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hammymath Matters!

Seriously tho... No, I did not count the 1 assist in 9 game season...   I took the mean of the previous 5 seasons.    

Let me put it this way, in 400 career NHL games he has 146 assists, or 0.365 assists/gm... which comes out to 29.93 assists per 82 game season... so I stand corrected... he averages <30 assists per full season, NOT <29 assists per full season. 

Over the past 5 seasons he ranks 68th in the league in assists by forwards.... 87th when considering at ALL skaters.     All of this while playing with a top 5 center, 

What's interesting is that Sam's best season (43a) came when he was playing with Skinner who had 40 tucks.     I'd argue Skinner's elite skating and finish ability inflated Reinharts' assist total that season..  so who's the better hockey player?

Good response.  Let's see what @LGR4GM has for you!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Or did Sam's pretty good passing and hockey sense inflate Skinner's goal totals?. I mean which one fell apart last year without the other?

Hmmm....😁

I’m with these who say that Skinner has a higher ceiling than Reinhart, but that Reinhart has a higher floor.

I can’t envision Reinhart falling apart like Skinner did last season, but I also can’t imagine him going OFF for 40 goals.

Overall, I’d call them close to equal, but very different types of player.

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hammymath Matters!

Ooo it did... huh that's strange because Skinner suddenly has his best shot percentage of his entire career playing with Reinhart. Then it dropped by half but sure they didn't benefit each other. Skinner went from 14.9 down to 7.7 but Reinhart didn't inflate Skinner goals... seems a strange coincidence then. Reinhart has great passing and vision. 

Also if Skinner is such an elite finisher why is his shot percentage lower than Reinhart's for his career?

Skinner 10.7

Reinhart 12.7 

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

He said he wasn't including the 1 assist in 9 games and then did in the calculation. 

Then he lied because 400 career games is all the games Sam played. That's including those 9.

6 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Reinhart did not play with a top 5 center the last 5 years. The only year that could be considered true is last year. 

Also, if you take away those first 9 games and the 1 assist that comes with them, that average goes up to 30.4 assists per season which would mean he averages >30 assists per full season. 

Last 2 years but it's worth mentioning. 

Your second point however is the correct math. 

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

He said he wasn't including the 1 assist in 9 games and then did in the calculation. 

wrong. i used the mean of his previous 5 seasons which does not include the 9 game season.

I even tried to dumb it down for you by calculating his career per game avg... still over your head, smh.

21 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

wrong. i used the mean of his previous 5 seasons which does not include the 9 game season.

I even tried to dumb it down for you by calculating his career per game avg... still over your head, smh.

lol @ the bold

- - - 

Anyways, 145 assists the last 5 seasons, over 391 games. The average is 30.4. So, you are wrong in any case. The point was to take an average of the last 5, which does not include the 9, which gives a result over 30. Not under 29, not under 30. 

You said he averaged less than 30. @LGR4GM pointed out that was only true if you included the 9 game stint. The point holds - it's over 30 without the 9 game stint. 

I'm assuming you, the person calling others dumb, looked at his base career stats and forgot to remove/didn't think it included the 9 game stint. Derp.

Keep your chin up, you "played" hockey!

Edited by Thorny

On 11/4/2020 at 11:04 PM, pi2000 said:

Skinner has elite+ finish ability around the net, he's also an elite forechecker creating lots of turnovers, elite pest.

I keep hearing about Sam's elite vision and passing, yet he's averaged <30a per season thus far in his career.   

Underwhelming, especially when you consider his linemates.    

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner scored how many goals last season? For someone with supposed elite finish ability he sure sucked at it. Elite pest? lol, what a strange made up type of thing. 

Skinner and Reinhart are different types of players. I wouldn't call either elite even though they might have a couple elite qualities.

The bolded is some brilliant fake math. I'd guess you used his 9 games in his not even first year. Further you don't account for his 33 assist pace from this past season. On top of all that in the last 4 years, Reinhart has topped 30 assists all but 1 time including a 43 assist campaign when Skinner (the elite finisher around the net) was on his line and yet you cling to your sad tired arguments. It's okay, we are all wrong sometimes but at least some of us admit it. 

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hammymath Matters!

If you didn't count the 1 assist in 9 game season, you'd have come up with a number greater than 30, not less than. Unless you suck at doing math. 

14 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hammymath Matters!

I keep hearing about Sam's elite vision and passing, yet he's averaged <30a per season thus far in his career.   

Actually you made a mistake, let me prove it. 

You claim that you did not use the 9 game tryout season and yet you specifically mention in the next sentence "in 400 career NHL games" which would be including the 9 game season. Since this is the first instance of your math being shown I can only assume that you used that in your original post but let's look at it without the 9 games that don't ***** matter. 

145/391 = 0.371

0.371 x 82 = 30.41 assists. 

146/400 = 0.365 (includes the 9 games)

0.365 x 82 = 29.93

So you not only didn't "DUMB" anything down I didn't understand, you f####d up your own calculation. On top of that even if you include the 9, he hits 30 assists a season. If you substract them he jumps over 30 assists a season. So my point holds that Sam Reinhart averages 30 assists a season and for a player that is supposedly not good... that seems pretty good considering he plays hard minutes and gets most of those at even strength.

Reinhart will always be underrated in your eyes and that is fine but Skinner and Reinhart are much closer in terms on ice impact than you want to give him credit for. 

prolly be because of Reinhart's "elite positioning" 🙄

Yea, it probably is because Reinhart knows where to be and actually has a good shoot. 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Let's chill out a bit in here, please.  These points can be made without throwing insults around.

This is way too general considering the personal insult from a certain post I just quoted that started it off

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No cares about winning the internet but I personally care about being called dumb and ppl using fake made up numbers to do it. 

I take your meaning and agree with it, but I believe it was me he was calling dumb. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.