Who's better, Olofsson or Reinhart

LGR4GM

Better  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better at hockey now?

• Olofsson
    • Reinhart
  2. 2. Who will be better at hockey 2 years from now?

• Olofsson
    • Reinhart

49 minutes ago, Weave said:

VO is a much more dangerous shooter by a fair amount.  I don’t think he is as complete a player though.

VO reminds me alot of Ray Sheppard.  Versus the Patrick Sharpe - Sam comparison I’m so fond of.   Who was the more valuable player overall?  I’m not sure.

Well, there's the $3MM question: will he turn out to be Ray Sheppard or John Tucker?  Similar players & both as rookies seemed to be able to grow into legit snipers.  One did and the other is remembered for the travesty of being allowed to wear #7.

21 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

And if he does hit 70pts?

Does that mean he can hit 70pts away from Jack, as someone suggested? Or does it mean he needs elite linemates to hit that plateau?

I think Jack and Hall could get Sobotka/Frolik to 50pts or Melody Martin to 45pts.

Doubt it.  IMHO, Reinhart is a 60-65 point guy that can elevate when playing in the right circumstances and can drop well below that w/ suboptimal deployment.  

Eichel's likely not breaking 90 with Pominville anchored to his side.

Everybody's better w/ better linemates, all else equal.

42 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

A better question is ... can Jack hit 85+ points without Reinhart? The knee jerk answer isn’t necessarily the accurate one....

There’s something to be said for chemistry of a line.

I agree. It's not about one person Or the other. 

I would like to think Jack hitting that level is more likely than Sam without Jack.

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

Every player needs elite linemates to hit their plateau.  It should be self evident that surrounding even Wayne Gretzky with elite players results in more points for Wayne than surrounding him with lesser players.

But at the same time we've seen players like Crosby elevate player that don't do near as well away from him yet doesn't hurt him when the next guy comes along. Some are not elite either.

However, I do agree with you on your post.

42 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Doubt it.  IMHO, Reinhart is a 60-65 point guy that can elevate when playing in the right circumstances and can drop well below that w/ suboptimal deployment.  

Eichel's likely not breaking 90 with Pominville anchored to his side.

Everybody's better w/ better linemates, all else equal.

Not sure what you're referring to.

Other than my last sentence ( which was a joke) I think we agree. 

14 hours ago, In The Buff said:

I went Olofsson for both.

No of course I didn't, Reinhart Reinhart.

Not even close. Sam's younger, smarter, more well rounded, better along the boards, plays in front of the net & is a better passer. Also been much more productive over his career, on even strength & just in general, & has much more experience.

Not much of a choice really. Maybe a better poll would be Skinner vs 

Laugh out loud. Yea Sam is actually 4 months younger than Victor, that is true but dont speak of Sam like he would be 'younger' when their both born -95.

And how can u know how it will look like from 2 years from now? "Not much of a choice" like..

Victor broke NHL record his first season, lets see how his next 2 looks like. 

47 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Laugh out loud. Yea Sam is actually 4 months younger than Victor, that is true but dont speak of Sam like he would be 'younger' when their both born -95.

And how can u know how it will look like from 2 years from now? "Not much of a choice" like..

Victor broke NHL record his first season, lets see how his next 2 looks like. 

threads like this are largely pointless & fans throw their hot takes around, so we shouldn't take it too seriously. But the question was who is & will be the better "player". Some might value scoring goals as the most important, others may value a more all around game or more "complete player" if you will.

For me its not close between the 2 given the small sample size for VO & the years worth of growth from Sam. That record you spoke of, VO scoring his 1st 7 goals on the PP is the same reason why i see Sam as being better. Sam scores the vast majority of his goals at ES & is better in just about every other category (that i wont list off all the ones again because all of us should know by now). Thats not meant to discount PPG's at all. But ES goals are harder to come by for most players. Sam also can generate offense on his own. Something i haven't seen from or heard from anyone regarding VO. Until VO shows he's more than just a sniper, yeah I'll think Sam is better any day of the week. Its similar to Skinner vs Sam where i'd say Sam is the better player there as well.

But once again, i think 'debates' like this are largely pointless lol. Theyre like locker room talk... who's hotter Jenny or Maria? U say Jenny but then when Maria hits you up you're all about her now. I will say it is nice to see a bit of optimism around the board these days. Nice change from the Jbots & why'd we move ROR & Gods do we suck posts!

26 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

threads like this are largely pointless & fans throw their hot takes around, so we shouldn't take it too seriously. But the question was who is & will be the better "player". Some might value scoring goals as the most important, others may value a more all around game or more "complete player" if you will.

For me its not close between the 2 given the small sample size for VO & the years worth of growth from Sam. That record you spoke of, VO scoring his 1st 7 goals on the PP is the same reason why i see Sam as being better. Sam scores the vast majority of his goals at ES & is better in just about every other category (that i wont list off all the ones again because all of us should know by now). Thats not meant to discount PPG's at all. But ES goals are harder to come by for most players. Sam also can generate offense on his own. Something i haven't seen from or heard from anyone regarding VO. Until VO shows he's more than just a sniper, yeah I'll think Sam is better any day of the week. Its similar to Skinner vs Sam where i'd say Sam is the better player there as well.

But once again, i think 'debates' like this are largely pointless lol. Theyre like locker room talk... who's hotter Jenny or Maria? U say Jenny but then when Maria hits you up you're all about her now. I will say it is nice to see a bit of optimism around the board these days. Nice change from the Jbots & why'd we move ROR & Gods do we suck posts!

They are pointless.  But IMHO they can also be counterproductive as it is kind of an internet version of prepping for an arbitration hearing.  Everybody's on the same side on a higher level, but are in a best case getting put into a position of picking which player is "their guy" in their mind (and having that seed planted for further discussions) at best & getting set up to find fault with the other guy at worst (setting themselves up to continue to find that fault in future discussions, so they can be "right" about this one).

My 2 cents.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, In The Buff said:

Yet, here you are showing your love for Sam. Aint that something ? lol indeed. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, my expectation is (assuming all are healthy full season & an 82 game schedule) that Eichel will be at least 90 points, likely 100+, and Hall will be 80+ and very likely 90+.

If Reinhart plays the full season with them and can't crack 70, my (and those of just about everyone here not named MODO or Pi) evaluation of him will have been demonstrated to be too rosy.

Do you have Eichel as a solid shot at 100 with Hall and VO, or only Hall and Sam?

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do you have Eichel as a solid shot at 100 with Hall and VO, or only Hall and Sam?

I'd give him a reasonable shot at 100 w/ any of 5 wingers taking that slot opposite Hall; though would only consider having money on it w/ Olofsson or Reinhart.

Again, really expect that as long as Hall is with him, their production will be fairly locked in.

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Meh. I’m a Reinhart fan. I’m gonna temper my expectations and predictions a tad.

Eichel ... 85 pts

Hall ... 75 pts

Skinner ... 65 pts

Reinhart ... 60 pts

Staal ... 55 pts

Olofsson ... 55 pts

Dahlin ... 50 pts

That’s actually a pretty low projection for Dahlin.  I would probably be a little disappointed.

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s actually a pretty low projection for Dahlin.  I would probably be a little disappointed.

I was thinking the same.

Off-season optimism sure, and I’m not saying I expect it, but I would not be surprised if Dahlin puts up 70 this year with these forwards.

It’s coming. If not this year, then within his first five.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.